Staff salon services

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesekah

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask anyone who has ever worked in a hair/beauty salon: how did the owner/you deal with staff having services done in-salon?

If you had your hair done, did you get it for free on your lunch break or after hours? Did the boss make you pay for the tube/product? Did one of the staff members get paid to do the service for you?

I have 5 staff now and I'm finding it hard to sort out how everyone will get a service... at the moment I'm paying one staff to do the other staff members service and not asking for them to pay for the product. But i find this is being taken advantage of a bit by 1 or 2 of the staff...

The services they want done are:
all hair
nails
waxing
eyelash extensions
tanning

I'm paying for the product and the wage of one of the girls to do the service... what would you do?

Thanks Jessica

I have a beauty salon with 6 staff - they are allowed to have stuff done but it has to be in their own time i.e. day off or lunchbreak, they get it at a 20% discount (as do immediate members of their family).
They are allowed to book out whichever therapist they want to do the treatment. All seem happy with this and it works ok for us
Hope this helps

It has varied depending where I have worked. The first spa I worked in had nearly 20 therapists and everyone was entitled to 1hrs free treatment per month if they were full time, nothing if part time.

The second spa we were pretty much allowed to do treatments on each other when we had no clients booked in but as it was brand new we were learning so many new treatments and products the management didn't really have a problem with this.

The owner of the last salon I worked in let the girls get their hair done pretty much whenever but only on quiet days and it couldn't be prebooked.

I would probably limit it to one treatment per person per month to be taken either out of hours or at quiet times only and it can't be pre-booked more than a day before.

When i worked in the salon, there was about 5 people at a time. She allowed us to have free treatments when it was quiet. We worked very hard tho and most of the time were fully booked so when we wanted treatments say on the quiet day of the week(a tues) she would allow us to.

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask anyone who has ever worked in a hair/beauty salon: how did the owner/you deal with staff having services done in-salon?

If you had your hair done, did you get it for free on your lunch break or after hours? Did the boss make you pay for the tube/product? Did one of the staff members get paid to do the service for you?

I have 5 staff now and I'm finding it hard to sort out how everyone will get a service... at the moment I'm paying one staff to do the other staff members service and not asking for them to pay for the product. But i find this is being taken advantage of a bit by 1 or 2 of the staff...

all hair
nails
waxing
eyelash extensions
tanning

I'm paying for the product and the wage of one of the girls to do the service... what would you do?

Thanks Jessica

omg jessica!!! can you pay to get my hair and nails done too lol
you never give services away for free to your staff. at a salon i used to work for, we were allowed to have services when the staff had free time slot or when the salon was quite. but we had to pay for the service. like 30% off.
remeber nothing in life is free and if you carry on giving your staff free services then they will carry on taking advantage!!
i still charge my freinds when i do there hair and nails? i even charge my family (product cost price)
so you need to start making those guys pay for the services they are having!

good luck
x

Personally I give staff free treatments when another therapist is quiet and free to do so.
They usually arrange things themselfs if things are busy and do it after work. I wouldnt charge them form wax or tubes of colour etc... But I know some salons may be really struggling and may need to charge a small amount to cover product cost. Lou x

Hi all,

all hair
nails
waxing
eyelash extensions
tanning

Thanks Jessica

Hi jesekah, how awful for you , you need to tell them all where to get off for a start :( and that they have to have Thier hair it done in thier own time plus they have got to pay for any stock used ,
what the heck are they playing at !.....

no way would I be letting them book out a stylist for you to pay for :eek:
you are having me on right ? :eek:

tell them if they book out a stylists working time then they have to PAY just like customer does .....

hope you don't mind me asking but..... are you new to all of this ?
and if so..... do you have written contracts of employment which states everything about job roles and salon rules very clearly ect :)

We could have treatments done if there were no clients. You didn't book time out, you just took the chance that you would be free at the same time. If not, tough. And if someone wanted to come in, you had to get out.

Or you could book for a treatment on your day off and pay for it.

We tried to keep our toes polished in summer, changing colour every week as advertising for our polish.

I think it is completely fair to ask them to pay or at least pay for the product used.

This can be a tricky situation - especially if you have a lot of staff in a busy salon!

The way we manage it is to offer our staff treatments for the cost (roughly) of the products. However we do ask that the treatments are carried out in their own time i.e. outside salon hours - this means that the staff member receiving the treatment as well as performing it, does so in their own time.....not too much to ask considering they are getting an expensive treatment for a token sum!

We feel it is important that our staff look good and part of that is to have good nails/hair etc, and we'd prefer they were showing off OUR work than someone elses.

We do come and go though, and if there is a quiet spell then occassionally they get the opportunity to work on each other. You have to be careful with this one though - we've been caught out in the past!! It's amazing how many "no shows" can appear when there is no salon management present....and techs suddenly has new bling nails on!!

So before any "adhoc" treatments are carried out they have to get the nod from "the management".

Cheers

We could have treatments done if there were no clients. You didn't book time out, you just took the chance that you would be free at the same time. If not, tough. And if someone wanted to come in, you had to get out.

Or you could book for a treatment on your day off and pay for it.

We tried to keep our toes polished in summer, changing colour every week as advertising for our polish.

I think it is completely fair to ask them to pay or at least pay for the product used.

Hi, yes I totally agree , this is the normal practice ..... customers always come first .......and everyone should pay for their products

Yes im new to owning a hair salon. i have been in the beauty industry for 7 years and just bought the hair salon next door.
i still have the old owner working there until she has her baby (she leaves on xmas eve) and i have kept the full timer which was there. she seems to think it her salon ( she is 22) and doesn't really like me telling her what to do...

the full timer works Tuesday to sat and the old owner only works on Thursday ( when she has clients sat's too) so im finding the hair girls dont wont to stay behind to do each other, or other staff. so i thought i would be NICE and let all staff get their hair or nails dont while on their break and i would still pay the other person but im paying for the product, which i thik they are taking advantage of. if a client wants to get in then they know they have to change their appointment, i have made that very clear!! but i just couldnt believe it when she said she was taking the product with out asking me... lol i felt like laughing and crying at the same time... as i feel the younger ones dont get it!!!! I DONT OWE IT TO THEM

This can be a tricky situation - especially if you have a lot of staff in a busy salon!

The way we manage it is to offer our staff treatments for the cost (roughly) of the products. However we do ask that the treatments are carried out in their own time i.e. outside salon hours - this means that the staff member receiving the treatment as well as performing it, does so in their own time.....not too much to ask considering they are getting an expensive treatment for a token sum!

We feel it is important that our staff look good and part of that is to have good nails/hair etc, and we'd prefer they were showing off OUR work than someone elses.

We do come and go though, and if there is a quiet spell then occassionally they get the opportunity to work on each other. You have to be careful with this one though - we've been caught out in the past!! It's amazing how many "no shows" can appear when there is no salon management present....and techs suddenly has new bling nails on!!

So before any "adhoc" treatments are carried out they have to get the nod from "the management".

Cheers

:green: Thanks all.. i feel like im in a bit of a hard spot! im always flat out and so are the nail girls but the hair girls aren't.. I do feel its important that the girls look good and love their work.. i think i may get them to pay for products and only let them do it on a Tuesday or Wednesday .. we are closed on Mondays so that's ever ones day off and only if there are no clients booked in. Im there everyday so ill keep an eye on the books.. thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back