Stick on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's how they are being promoted has really angered me we learn from the professionals have been told in prior post that sticks are a no no, then I pick up a paper and one of the people I admire very much is promoting stick ons that has really dampened my faith in what I used tyo call true nail professionals...........god I am so angry .

Good grief!!

I don't know where to start! This has all been discussed before!

Do you all honestly think hairdressers aren't aware of shelf bought colours (and perms)? How many of you technicians have tried a bit of hair colour from Boots? Shock horror! Self tan lotions instead of using nail technicians with the airbrushing side line? And on....

The 'stick on' market is much bigger than this professional industry and if I can make some suggestions to help make it less harmful then I will; over and over!

Stick-ons can cause damage of not used properly. Technicians in this professional industry get more bad press than stick-ons! Read some of the threads on here and it is not surprising.

For someone to infer that I don't promote this industry......? Disappointment? Lets all stick our heads in the sand and pretend the outside world isn't there. The sales of retail kits is far bigger than pro services. So shall we ignore it and then it will go away?

No matter how many hair colour kits that are sold in Boots, hairdressers won't be going out of business any time soon. They just do the job better. Just like some technicians.

There is a place for it all and knowledge is better than ignorance

I think the shock is that although these things sell...and yes they always will, doesn't mean we have to support them.

Hairdressers are aware of the colour kits on the shelfs but how many recommend using them, and in the press.

Its not stick ons, Rio kits or OTC hair kits that bother me...its the endorsing of it by a proffesional...

Most of us are still the ones in the salon...the ones still trying to make a living and still trying to get clients.

I think its because of the respect we have for you that i guess we feel let down....xx

Last edited:
I don't feel let down tbh. I AM surprised that it has taken this turn but that's the way it goes.
There is a certain aspect of the industry that can do this and it works.
One offs for example....proms...people who are NEVER gonna be a regular client so in a way I understand.
Regulars are a different ball game I guess, but there's a place for everything.
Thinking about it I'd rather stick em on myself and do it right than let someone do it at home and make a right pigs ear of it.
They will always be around so we should get used to the fact AND maybe think about making a profit from it.
OK.....kick me now girls.....or boys:)

I laughed when i read this thread as I was thinking the exact same thing when i seen it this morning in the news of the worlds mag. I cant see leighton denny promoting them. Sorry Marian love your book, got it at home but you deserve a bit of a telling off for that girl!:)

i agree with angie
wouldnt it have been better marian, to have done an article on the pros of visiting a pro nail tech, and list the bad points of doing it yourself stick ons, or even say if you must use them , take them off after one day only, because they are unsanitary and damaging left on any longer etc etc
at least joe public, might then learn something

I think the shock is that although these things sell...and yes they always will, doesn't mean we have to support them.

Hairdressers are aware of the colour kits on the shelfs but how many recommend using them, and in the press.

Its not stick ons, Rio kits or OTC hair kits that bother me...its the endorsing of it by a proffesional...

Most of us are still the ones in the salon...the ones still trying to make a living and still trying to get clients.

I think its because of the respect we have for you that i guess we feel let down....xx

(And thanks 1999Judy. Exactly!)

Angie, because I appreciate your sentiment, I'll put another view.

I can get quoted. Often. (this last one is no different from the first one in Grazia. The journos will write what works for them). I take this place in the media seriously. The journos trust me.

I have tried over and over (for years) to get some good press about enhancements. I have salon teams now and obviously promote what they offer. I've promoted natural looking enhancements, incl custom blends (as a new idea for them). They are NOT interested. They (without exception) tell me stories. On the whole, they prefer to say nothing rather than anything bad (the bad press is a tiny fraction of what could be written about!)

So, do I give up and not bother? Or do I keep giving them stories that keeps some interest in nails? If a consumer uses stick ons and finds she likes nails, don't you think she'll go to a professional and get them done?

You'll see many quotes and stories from me soon as I've just launched a new salon treatment which has a basis in the knowledge of a good technician.

I can get to the press. I'm not going to ignore a subject that will never go away, it will never have any impact on a good professional and could lead some consumers to nail services. I will never promote the retail kits that have been mentioned here that should only be used by professionals.

If professionals who come on this site feel threatened by 'stick ons' then there could be a problem.

Many have felt threatened by Popits. I've promoted those too, in a trade mag and to the consumer press.

I'm obviously beyond redemption.

We are always going round in circles with topics like these and as said before they will always be there, there is nothing we can do to change it so why beat ourselve up about it over and over and over again!!!!!

thats my input anyway, personally i think if we spend too much time worrying about these things then they become obsticals to us, we should be puting our energy and brain power into our work and business's to better ourselve to become technicians that stand out so that people WANT to come and have their nails done instead of going and getting stick ons.........

so lets get real ladies and gents and stop worrying about things that we can't change and worry about the things that we can make changes to, to better ourselves and our industry

there's my opinion and i now you probably don't all agree but hey :green:

i apprecaite what everyone is saying ,
but what i want to try and get over is,

wouldnt it be great to read an article form marian, giving a two sided opinion on nail enhancements, nss salons, stick on nails etc,

as a well respected individual in this industry, i am quite shocked that, this is going on,

i felt sure that marian would come on here and say that it was a mis print, they didnt ask her opinion atall, and that she would ask for a retraction from the news of the world forthwith!

for all of those who are slogging it out in the salons, trying to make a business out of this industry it feels like you just stole my ice cream

sorry but just my honest opinion

My point has nothing to do with trying to stop stick ons....(I couldn't care less about them).....its about professionals recommending stick ons, and publicly.

Thanks for the time to reply Marian. x

Last edited:
Thanks guys for not kicking me but we all know for a fact that not everyone wants enhancements on a regular basis....some folks are finding it hard to pay their mortgage!!!
business is a cruel and hard game but that's the way it is.

Thanks guys for not kicking me but we all know for a fact that not everyone wants enhancements on a regular basis....some folks are finding it hard to pay their mortgage!!!

I agree Judy and they are there for all to see and buy and use...but why do we need a professional to promote them ?

I feel like my point is being missed completely..:irked:

exactly judy!

i think this thread is getting a little mis lead,

im not on about the stick ons, theyve been around for ages and they probably always will be,
its the fact that a highly respected technician is endorsing them

makes me feel like ive been stabbed in the back

i go on and on everyday slogging my heart out to try and educate the general public, as to how things should be done,( and it is hard work when faced with nss, stick ons, d i y kits from argos etc etc)

i might aswell get boxes of these and save my self a load of time, worry and energy

again just my opinion

i agree with you totally...did you read the thread on the link i posted....the girl got shot down for making money from doing her own nail art on them.
I think it said in the article that marian said that they were only good if you wanted them on for up to a week ....max
So the alternative for a more long term service is that they come to us for a professional product.
People are always going to have differences of opinions ... world would be a boring place if they didnt. I do get what you are saying though about how you feel about them being endorsed by a pro.......but whats done is done.
I am hoping that if this country decides to do something about MMA (which looks like it is starting to) then the good safe salons will get some good press like what was mentioned.
please dont shoot me either......I am a good geek XXXXXXX

I get you Angie, I also agree that really 'stick ons' shouldnt be promoted by Pro Nail Techs publicly.

I too understand that there is never any getting away from these products, they will always be there so we, as nail techs have to get over it and get on with it.

xx:hug:

I agree Judy and they are there for all to see and buy and use...but why do we need a professional to promote them ?

Not missing it here, your coming through loud and clear :hug: I know people who have stick ons on an almost permanant basis. My brothers wife now uses them because enhancements as she used to have are out of her budget. I pointed out all the sides of them but she's still using them on a very regular basis. While I am busy trying to get them to let me do their nails they are hooked up on cost and how cheap these stick ons are. I'm beating my head up against a brick wall and it is disheartening to know the ones that read that paper now think they must be great because Kylies manicurist endorsed them. I said it in the other topic and I still think it, people will hear what they want to hear and until something points out both sides in a magazine all they will see is a professional said they were ok, not that they are ok occasionally.

To be fair to the girl in the linked topic she explained where she was at and I think most of us were more curious than anything by the time a couple of others came in commenting on the replies she had received.

My frustration is purely that I was taught one thing and then see another.

My point was not a problem with stick ons as a professional but the fact of who is promoting them yes they sell hair colours in boots but I don't see top hairdressers in the industry promoting them!!
I am sorry but I just don't get it.

Not by me, I agree wholeheartedly and am very disappointed.

Can anyone please scan the article. I haven't seen it so don't feel I have the right to comment but "adore" is a strong word.

Please someone scan the article. Thanks!

Can anyone please scan the article. I haven't seen it so don't feel I have the right to comment but "adore" is a strong word.

Please someone scan the article. Thanks!

GET THE LATEST FAKES: “I’m loving stick-ons,” declares Kylie’s favourite manicurist, Marian Newman. “The new fakes are shorter and more natural looking. I adore the Broadway Nails Fast French Nail Kit, £7.99. My clients love the look.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back