Stick on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawnie

Reaction score
Can't believe what I have just read in the mag in the News of the World today about stick on nails sorry if I upset anyone but us as Nail Technicians are trying hard to biuld up Loyal customers bases, and then I read an article quoting Marian Newman (aka mum) saying she adores the new stick ons from Broadway nails fast french nail kit for £7.99 saying her clients love the look anyone else read this.

Can't believe what I have just read in the mag in the News of the World today about stick on nails sorry if I upset anyone but us as Nail Technicians are trying hard to biuld up Loyal customers bases, and then I read an article quoting Marian Newman (aka mum) saying she adores the new stick ons from Broadway nails fast french nail kit for £7.99 saying her clients love the look anyone else read this.

no, not read this, who are Broadway? are they like the ones you get from asda or are they a pro brand?

no, not read this, who are Broadway? are they like the ones you get from asda or are they a pro brand?

they are the ones like in asda

IMO stick ons should only be used for short term occasional use...I certainly wouldn't go raving about them. People wear them for too long and 99% of the time they have not prepped the nail plate correctly or fitted them properly and can lead to greenies....then there is the removal...do they sit and soak them off....??? or is pulling them off quicker.

Are we not professionals ... do we not recommend and promote professional products and not over the counter DIY ... this is no different in my eyes to a professional hairdresser recommending hair dye from Boots.

We are talking News of the World here :lol:

Last thursday I had a Client bookd in for a set of enhancements.
She came in sat down and said 'sorry I havn't had time to pull these off yet' she proceded to pull/rip off her stick ons with her teeth. I did offer to soak them off but she said laughing 'no thanks this is quicker':eek:
Her nails underneath were spongey (don't know how to describe it really) and yellow....YUK! (and they were smelly)
She'd been using the stick on continiously for the past 5 months.
This is the first time I had actually seen the effect of prolonged use of these stick ons, I was a gobsmacked to say the least.
I couldn't do a thing with her nails and sent her on her way with a doctors letter telling her to come back after she'd seen her G.P.

Put them in room 101 along with home kits and lock the blooming door I say!!!!!:mad:

xx:hug:xx

I wonder if Mum really said that . . . you know how newspapers twist things to suit themselves. I would be very surprised if those words came straight from her lips.

well marian has said in a previous thread about a stick on nails article in a magazine and she did give a good arguement for them.....unfortunatly there is a market whether we like it or not. If people applied them correctly i am sure that most would not have the problems that they create.....people get bacterial infections from liquid and powders enhancements if they are not prepped sufficiently remember....and people also remove them themselves as they dont want to pay to get them remove professionally. I think it is a good thing that the public are advised on how to use these products safely...as they are going to use them anyway....... they are not the same as getting a proper set of enhancments in either gel or l+p so they are not really going to affect this market.
Dont get me wrong i dont personally use them myself.....i can just see both sides of the arguement......

here is the link......
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/64809-please-help-4.html#post685433

Last edited:
After reading this I can only feel disappointment.

I wouldn't be seen dead putting these on in my salon, nor endorsing them, (if I didn't endorse them, I would demand a retraction) besides this, my clients are much more educated than to ever like something as tacky as press-ons.

It would be like flushing my reputation, expertise and credibility down the toilet.

Whatever floats ya boat I guess:rolleyes:

After reading this I can only feel disappointment.
me too......more than dissapointment.....anger......sometimes i feel the top end belittles the very profession they should be protecting.......

Last edited by a moderator:
well marian has said in a previous thread about a stick on nails article in a magazine and she did give a good arguement for them.....unfortunatly there is a market whether we like it or not. If people applied them correctly i am sure that most would not have the problems that they create.....people get bacterial infections from liquid and powders enhancements if they are not prepped sufficiently remember....and people also remove them themselves as they dont want to pay to get them remove professionally. I think it is a good thing that the public are advised on how to use these products safely...as they are going to use them anyway....... they are not the same as getting a proper set of enhancments in either gel or l+p so they are not really going to affect this market.
Dont get me wrong i dont personally use them myself.....i can just see both sides of the arguement......

here is the link......
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/64809-please-help-4.html#post685433

so if we give people instructions and tell them how to apply and remove Rio nails (the kits sold in Argos) is that then ok ??? or a hairdresser giving advise on how to do a home perm...??

Yes there is a market and yes people will use them...but should we as professionals encourage it.

They have their place for those who cannot afford to have them done professionally.

It is a liner adhesive bond to the nail plate - rather then a cross linked bond.

If they pulled them off (which they will) surely they will do less damage then pulling off a set of professionally applied ones?

The kind of people who wear these IMO are people with terrible nails that want a quick cover up for a night out etc and they have normally picked them off by the next day.

I wouldn't endorse them but each to their own, everyone has different budgets in this life xx

Last edited:
I dont think its about the wearers, we all know people will wear stick ons, dye their hair with home colour kits....its about the people who are endorsing them, people who should be backing the professionals.....their industry......it shouldnt be about making a quick quid endorsing products which are our bug bearers......
these people teach and promote high standards of the nail industry.....:eek:
but hopefully i am sure this will corrected and we may have the wrong end of the stick :lol::lol:

so if we give people instructions and tell them how to apply and remove Rio nails (the kits sold in Argos) is that then ok ??? or a hairdresser giving advise on how to do a home perm...??

Yes there is a market and yes people will use them...but should we as professionals encourage it.

May be not.... but i dont see stick on nails the same as the rio kits......but may be our job would be easier if people didnt come to us with their nails ruined by the inproper use of these products.....they are meant to be a temporary product.....not meant to last.
If people going to use these products is it not our place to educate the clients of the risks, therefore educating them how to do it safely if they still want to do it. At the end of the day quality will always win over these products....and when they want a product that will last i will be there. The same as most professional hairdressers will be when they have a client that wants a colour or a perm that will last....and will be of a much better quality.
:):hug::hug:

I personally don't like stick on nails,
Saying that I have never wore them "properly"
I used to be one of those people who wore them for a night out, stuck them ontop of whatever I had on my nails at the time...and yeah whatever was left on the next morning would be removed with my teeth !

I am very tempted to prep my nails, and apply some stick on's to my self, to see how they hold up for myself without just reading others oppinions..

But I am scared of the damage they may cause if I do break one off,
I remember the state my nails used to be in after I had broke one off...
Layers would be missing :eek:

But I feel quite assured that even if I did explain to clients how to use stick on's correctly, they would still come to me anyway for acrylics,
Because no matter how they apply stick on's
I still can't see them lasting 4 weeks like my nails do !

And we all know how annoying it is to be out shopping with a beautiful looking set of nails....only to have one short stumpy nail where one has broken off ...This is MUCH more likey with a stick on.

I personally don't like stick on nails,
Saying that I have never wore them "properly"
I used to be one of those people who wore them for a night out, stuck them ontop of whatever I had on my nails at the time...and yeah whatever was left on the next morning would be removed with my teeth !

I am very tempted to prep my nails, and apply some stick on's to my self, to see how they hold up for myself without just reading others oppinions..

But I am scared of the damage they may cause if I do break one off,
I remember the state my nails used to be in after I had broke one off...
Layers would be missing :eek:

But I feel quite assured that even if I did explain to clients how to use stick on's correctly, they would still come to me anyway for acrylics,
Because no matter how they apply stick on's
I still can't see them lasting 4 weeks like my nails do !

And we all know how annoying it is to be out shopping with a beautiful looking set of nails....only to have one short stumpy nail where one has broken off ...This is MUCH more likey with a stick on.

I agree with you emmsy........ there is no way they would ever last as long as a 'proper set of nails', makes me wince at the very thought of breaking one.:cry: I have never used them myself....nor would i go and 'tell' someone to buy them.....but if a friend or someone told me they were going to apply them i would advise what i could to make sure they did it safely reducing the risks to their natural nails as much as possible...i.e. infections.
They are are budget solution to most.....why did you use them rather that go to a salon???
Nailzoo....i agree....there is not one metion of any sanitation at all....not even to wash hands!!:eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back