Stupid me damaged my nails! Please help ...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkBlonde

Reaction score
Ok so I was in the bath earlier today, couldn't resist picking one of my nail wraps that started to lift ... 5 mins later realised I had picked them all off :eek:

Anyways, I thought that with them being soaked in really hot bath water for ages they would be ok, but when they dried they looked white and cracked ... the wraps have lifted some of the top layer of my nail plate with them :cry: some nails aren't too bad but the others look awful they're starting to peel a bit and feel really weak.

What can I do with them without damaging them more???

I would apply cuticle oil and leave them well alone! Give them a couple of hours and they should return to there normal state. It is probably just the combination of peeling them off and the water ( amazing how much like a sponge that they are ) If they don't maybe a thin layer of gel to protect them?

You might also have a residue of adhesive left on your nails as the wraps weren't removed correctly. If you have some scrubfesh then give them a good clean with that followed by lashings of cuticle oil. Hot hot wax treatments are also really good for getting lost oils back into the nails. My toe nails always look very white when I take my Minx off, or remove varnish as they're naturally very dry. After treating with oils and leaving overnight they're always back to normal by morning :)

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have any cutcle oil at the min, so I think I'll do a parrafin wax treatment tonight, then buy some cuticle oil tomorrow.

I hope it works, I was very impressed with my nails until now. They were looking really good now they look like poo :irked:

I have just done this with my gels. I was meant to be keeping them on for maintenance at college and now only have 3 tips left and a half gel-coated nail. Oops.

They are quite sore, so will take advice and use some SolarOil on them and hope they don't get worse tonight.

What's the best way to remove wraps? just so I can avoid this happening again!

xXx

The best way would have been go back to the nail tech who did them for removal,

oil will help but the sensitive feeling from thined nails might be with you for a few days, you could try polishing them may help a bit

I'm confused then.... You are trained in them but don't know how to remove them?

Heat to apply then heat to remove! Place under heat for a minute the feel from an edge and it will come clean off
Hth's
:hug:

Heat to apply then heat to remove! Place under heat for a minute the feel from an edge and it will come clean off
Hth's
:hug:

Thanks! I will do this next time. I did try heating up under my hairdryer but it didn't work, probs because my dryers broken and can't use the highest heat setting or it blows! lol :) but it did work to apply them though ... strange ...:confused:

So your not trained? are you even trained as a nail tech? just curious as to why you are performing a service you obviously do not have a clue about.

Also why would you think soaking your nails in HOT water for AGES would be ok? one thing any nail tech should have is solar oil or similar and know how to treat natural nails which are dehydrated. You obviously do not:eek:

Sorry but go and train like the rest of us instead of coming on here and getting free advice for DIY jobs.

xxx

So your not trained? are you even trained as a nail tech? just curious as to why you are performing a service you obviously do not have a clue about.

Also why would you think soaking your nails in HOT water for AGES would be ok? one thing any nail tech should have is solar oil or similar and know how to treat natural nails which are dehydrated. You obviously do not:eek:

Sorry but go and train like the rest of us instead of coming on here and getting free advice for DIY jobs.

xxx

I am not a nail tech I am qualified in manicure. I do not do nail wraps professionally. I only did them on myself, I don't see what the harm is?? I would never do a treatment on somebody else without training, there's no need to be rude.

And I did say I tried to heat them up first but it didn't work.

Sorry but I was not being rude just honest, you should know these things if you are trained in manicure how to treat a dehydrated nail, and the effects of leaving your nails in HOT water for AGES would have on the nail plate. Its a bit like me going in wholesalers and buying some hair dye and asking a hairdresser how to do it and then rectify it when goes wrong.

Why dont you go on a course to learn how to do it properley and how to rectify such problems? I am not being rude just honest. xx

Sorry but I was not being rude just honest, you should know these things if you are trained in manicure how to treat a dehydrated nail, and the effects of leaving your nails in HOT water for AGES would have on the nail plate. Its a bit like me going in wholesalers and buying some hair dye and asking a hairdresser how to do it and then rectify it when goes wrong.

Why dont you go on a course to learn how to do it properley and how to rectify such problems? I am not being rude just honest. xx

I know the effects of over soaking and dehydrated nails, I just thought it might have softened the adhesive.The nail wraps have instructions for application, but not removal. I made a mistake, so I came on here to ask some professionals for advice, just like a lot of other people on here do. I know to use oil on dehydrated nails, but as most people here are more experienced than me, I thought there might also be something else I could do to help.

I understand your opinion, and I would definately do a course if I was to offer them professionally, but I am only using them on myself and I don't think I could afford it at the min ayway.

I know the effects of over soaking and dehydrated nails, I just thought it might have softened the adhesive.The nail wraps have instructions for application, but not removal. I made a mistake, so I came on here to ask some professionals for advice, just like a lot of other people on here do. I know to use oil on dehydrated nails, but as most people here are more experienced than me, I thought there might also be something else I could do to help.

I understand your opinion, and I would definately do a course if I was to offer them professionally, but I am only using them on myself and I don't think I could afford it at the min ayway.

Yes you are right alot of people do ask for advice but not how to use products they dont know how to use. I just think as a nail professionals point of view it cheapens my worth if non proffesionals are thinking they can use products without prior knowledge or education of how products work regardless of using for oneself or for another.

xxx

Hope your nails are starting to return back to natural condition x
I bought minx before going on my course and used it on myself (like many others) I don't believe that cheapens me or my profession. I use and offer dashing diva and have not attended the course!
Most people offering minx have not been on a course and it is not a requirement only a manicure qualification which the poster has got!

Yes you are right sam although it seems she is a little lacking in the basics of natural nail care would you not think? I too offer shellac but understand the basics about how it works and how uv curing products work and yes I would ask tips but if I were to find I did not know that soaking my nails in HOT water for AGES as op stated I would of knew what the effects would be on the natual nail and it would be obvious why her nails have lifted would it not.

If she has a basic manicure than I'm sure she would or should know the basics and know that water is a no no where soaking is concerned and daily oil use is a must for nail care.

Hope your nails are starting to return back to natural condition x
I bought minx before going on my course and used it on myself (like many others) I don't believe that cheapens me or my profession. I use and offer dashing diva and have not attended the course!
Most people offering minx have not been on a course and it is not a requirement only a manicure qualification which the poster has got!

I have to agree with this.

That said I read the first page of posts thinking we were talking about fibreglass wraps or even a Gel overlay (some people call that a wrap), and when PinkBlonde said she wasn't trained I too had a sharp intake of breath :eek:.
As soon as I realised it was the Foil wraps like Trendy Nail wraps or Minx then well, of course, it is not like a hobbyist wanting some help with her DIY, but someone who is just a bit unsure, about a new treatment...no biggie!!
I am sure the cuticle oil (and lots of it!!!) will do the trick, as steeping your nails in hot water would have been just as bad as picking off the wraps lol!!....we all live and learn!!;)

Latest posts

Back