Stupid me damaged my nails! Please help ...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't see the major hoohah about her not having the training - the MINX training is hardly rocket science, is it?

The only advice I would've given the OP is that EVERY MINX I have removed has left white on the nails, either where the top layer of the nail has been disturbed or where the sticky residue is left, just oil your nails and they'll be fine - to say you are cheapening a product by using it on yourself is ridiculous!!

I have to agree with this.

That said I read the first page of posts thinking we were talking about fibreglass wraps or even a Gel overlay (some people call that a wrap), and when PinkBlonde said she wasn't trained I too had a sharp intake of breath :eek:. learn!!;)

That's what I thought to! Sorry I got the wrong end when you said you picked them off when you noticed some lifting, and damaged your nails ect it sounded alot like enhancement wraps not trendy wraps lol

I don't really know the removal for them heat as already said but don't you also seal the free edge with adhesive?

I know a good tip with minx is to remove it in a east to west / west to east direction this way dosent lift the keritin strands from there formation and would cause less chance of damage.

Can't see the major hoohah about her not having the training - the MINX training is hardly rocket science, is it?

The only advice I would've given the OP is that EVERY MINX I have removed has left white on the nails, either where the top layer of the nail has been disturbed or where the sticky residue is left, just oil your nails and they'll be fine - to say you are cheapening a product by using it on yourself is ridiculous!!

The white is quite offten the strands of keriten standing up from the minx being removed in the wrong direction.

It wasn't really a hooha about not being trained in minx it was a missunderstanding thinking it was enhancment type wraps and not the foil type.
If you think of enhancements and go back and read from the start you will see why this happend.

Totally aggree ! ALot of geeks think its a crimanal offence to practice on yourself. I too have spent alot of time and money on my qualifications but dont mind one bit helping out a fellow pro that had messed up a bit, even if its not entirely in their field, sorry for the rant but sometimes I think on this site people go on like their a brain surgeon not a nail tech !!!

The poster is a professional and has admitted she doesnt use gel etc on anyother person and totlaay knows she messed up a bit she obviously just thought she could get some friendly advice and not get into a debate about it !!!

The white is quite offten the strands of keriten standing up from the minx being removed in the wrong direction.

It wasn't really a hooha about not being trained in minx it was a missunderstanding thinking it was enhancment type wraps and not the foil type.
If you think of enhancements and go back and read from the start you will see why this happend.

A misunderstanding is fair enough but I don't think that was the case for all posters... this comment inparticular is one i'm referring to:

Sorry but go and train like the rest of us instead of coming on here and getting free advice for DIY jobs.

xxx
I'm fully qualified at Level 3 and can honestly say we were never told that having our fingers in hot water for any period of time is very damaging...

Yes, we can all be trained but it doesn't mean we've all had the same course, same tutor, same paperwork to be at the same standard - it would be nicer if people actually understood this rather than putting someone down for doing their own MINX!!

I did NSI at college and as much as I thought it was good at the time, since coming on here I realise how little I know about nails compared to other people - a nice word of advice rather than 'go and train like the rest of us' is all that's needed, I am planning to have more extensive training and so might the OP be but obviously she wouldn't have thought it that necessary for doing MINX seeing as though MINX don't require anything more than a man & ped cert, which she has!!

Emily I was making a hoo haa has you put more about the lack of understanding of how the OP was unaware of the effect of hot water will have on her nails and how she was asking to restore them, I took this as she wasd not trained as if she was she would know or SHOULD know this. So surely if she did know she would not be asking?

I was not putting her down for doing her own minx I was a bit shocked that she was asking advise for something she should know about if she is trained,, please re-read. I would also suggest you go and read a text book and find out about the process of diffusion on the nail plate and how this would effect the nail plate if nails are soaked in water for long periods of time. A normal nail will conatain approx 18% water a nail will become alot more flexible when soaked in water approx 25% making them soft and weak, it can also work the other way if the natural nail does not have a correct balance they can become dry and brittle this is why using a plasticizer daily on the nail or nail enhancment will help keep the right balance correct. But surely you know this as you say it is not rocket science or brain surgery:!::!::!:

Oh for goodeness sake, I'l answer the post without a debate.

Pinkblonde, make sure all the resin and silk is off then Plenty of good cutical oil, solor or any other that you choose, try not to soak your nails to long in water, you could go to a professional thats trained in enhancements and have an overlay on to protect your nails whilst the damaged area grows out ( oh and dont do it again you naughty girl !)and thats about it really. All done in a few words's and relax ! xxx

Hi Lilly, the OP question has been answered if you read back. I am replying to posts which seem to state I was having a go at her for doing minx, which was not the case.

Why is it you seem to think that it is ok to help people that are not trained in certain systems products (not refering to this OP) you think its ok for a non professional to ask how to use professional products and then when something goes wrong help them rectify this.

I think you have misunderstood where I am coming from on this one lilly.:rolleyes:

Now now ladies please don't argue! :irked:

I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding, I didn't use any enhancements with my Trendy Nail Wraps. Like I said, I know soaking is bad, I know how to treat dehydrated nails, I just thought that soaking would have softened the advesive more than my nails. I was wrong, yes, but it is not a mistake I will be making again! I just wanted some advice from somebody more experienced than me, which I have received, so thank you all for your help :)

I would do a course if I was going to offer it professionally. But as I can't afford it and am only doing them on myself I chose not to. Plus, the course might become available where I work, so I would rather wait til then and not spend money that I don't need to.

I respect everyone's opinion, everyone makes mistakes, everyone learns from them. I am only human! :)

:) pinky I did not intend to offend just was under the impression you were not a nail pro. Much love and respect and hope your nails are on there way to getting healthy with a little tlc . Hope to speak soon xx

Hi Lilly, the OP question has been answered if you read back. I am replying to posts which seem to state I was having a go at her for doing minx, which was not the case.

Why is it you seem to think that it is ok to help people that are not trained in certain systems products (not refering to this OP) you think its ok for a non professional to ask how to use professional products and then when something goes wrong help them rectify this.

I think you have misunderstood where I am coming from on this one lilly.:rolleyes:

No, didnt miss understand at all, and I have been following the post so I know it has been answered but wanted to confirm the answer. the girl made a mistake, on her own nails not on anyone else's, she asked for a bit of friendly advice thats all, she is a fellow pro albiet in a slightly different field, I'm sure we have all messed up somepoint or another ??? If you read back to some of you posts you might see how they might come across as a bit harsh and perhaps even a bit high and mighty.

'Sorry but go and train like the rest of us instead of coming on here and getting free advice for DIY jobs'.
Yes you are right sam although it seems she is a little lacking in the basics of natural nail care would you not think?

It happens alot here which is a great shame because this is a fantastic site and I have had problems solved by some really lovely geeks

Anyhooo thats me done on this thread. x

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

I never said that:!: Please re-read, I was not making a hoo haaa about her not having done the training I thought she was not trained in any nail care atall with the way her post is read it reads to me she does not have a clue about nail care atall, not even how to hydrate de-hydrated nails, hence me saying about DIY tech.

And sure never said using it on oneself cheapens it,,show me where I said that. I said that by a professional offering advice on how to use a proffessional system on a public forum such as SG makes it look bad really,,come on I know you wouldnt get a hair geek telling you how to colour correct your hair as you mucked up even if it was on yourself.

xx

No, didnt miss understand at all, and I have been following the post so I know it has been answered but wanted to confirm the answer. the girl made a mistake, on her own nails not on anyone else's, she asked for a bit of friendly advice thats all, she is a fellow pro albiet in a slightly different field, I'm sure we have all messed up somepoint or another ??? If you read back to some of you posts you might see how they might come across as a bit harsh and perhaps even a bit high and mighty.

'Sorry but go and train like the rest of us instead of coming on here and getting free advice for DIY jobs'.
Yes you are right sam although it seems she is a little lacking in the basics of natural nail care would you not think?

It happens alot here which is a great shame because this is a fantastic site and I have had problems solved by some really lovely geeks

Anyhooo thats me done on this thread. x

Im sorry you never answered my question, and I am sorry you take me to be this way as that is not my intention, next time I will sugar coat my responses Just for you with lots of:hug: and:) incase I come across high and mighty.

xxxx

Everybody in this has come from good intentions! I don't think that all the other comments are very helpful. I am sure the op recognises that katiebaby comes from a good place in that she is very passionate about the industry.
The original question has been answered and I am sure we all hope the op got some cuticle oil and her natural nails are back to good condition x
:hug:

Well I bought some cuticle oil from work today, they are looking much better already! We actually got some info sent to us about removing the nail wraps - it said to use heat either from a hairdryer or warm water ... hmmm ... me thinks I will NOT be recommending that to anyone! lol.

No worries Katiebbaby, I am not offended ... all is good in the hood! :)

All you lovely geeks have been very helpful, thankyou for your concern, I am sure my nails will make a full recovery :)

xxXxx

I never said that:!: Please re-read, I was not making a hoo haaa about her not having done the training I thought she was not trained in any nail care atall with the way her post is read it reads to me she does not have a clue about nail care atall, not even how to hydrate de-hydrated nails, hence me saying about DIY tech.

And sure never said using it on oneself cheapens it,,show me where I said that. I said that by a professional offering advice on how to use a proffessional system on a public forum such as SG makes it look bad really,,come on I know you wouldnt get a hair geek telling you how to colour correct your hair as you mucked up even if it was on yourself.

xx[/QUOTE]
I didn't say that you did say that about it being cheapened - someone else said something along those lines, I quoted what you'd said that I thought was pretty unfair.

Anyhow, it's sorted now, the OP is hopefully on her way to having nice nails again... sorry to anyone with any misunderstandings - was having a bad morning and felt some comments unfair at the time but hey ho, not the end of the world - hope all is forgiven!:hug:

yes by a NON PROFESSIONAL using a PROFESSIONAL product thast is what I meant, and asking US why or how it works,,,,FGS read back s l o w and you will get what I mean,,, I give up:smack:

Emily I was making a hoo haa has you put more about the lack of understanding of how the OP was unaware of the effect of hot water will have on her nails and how she was asking to restore them, I took this as she wasd not trained as if she was she would know or SHOULD know this. So surely if she did know she would not be asking?

I was not putting her down for doing her own minx I was a bit shocked that she was asking advise for something she should know about if she is trained,, please re-read. I would also suggest you go and read a text book and find out about the process of diffusion on the nail plate and how this would effect the nail plate if nails are soaked in water for long periods of time. A normal nail will conatain approx 18% water a nail will become alot more flexible when soaked in water approx 25% making them soft and weak, it can also work the other way if the natural nail does not have a correct balance they can become dry and brittle this is why using a plasticizer daily on the nail or nail enhancment will help keep the right balance correct. But surely you know this as you say it is not rocket science or brain surgery:!::!::!:

Emily, I can only assume you choose not to answer FACTS by answering with re-qoutes, I have answered and replied to peoples challenges and all I have had so far I people trying to say I am having a go as the OP was not trained, when I try and give info I get called high and mighty, or FGS its not rocket science.

I call for this post to be pulled as people refuse to listen to fact and prof opinion and want to concentrate more on the personal side and worry about being rude. Sorry guys this has gone waaaay ott. xxx

I used to soak my feet then dry them and use hairdrier for added heat to remove (now I just use haridryer, not noticed any difference in removal) to be honest those bad boys (well minx anyway not tried other wrap systems) are stuck fast and always rips some nail away, and I am very gentle so always do a minx then a polish as they become to weak otherwise xx

Well I bought some cuticle oil from work today, they are looking much better already! We actually got some info sent to us about removing the nail wraps - it said to use heat either from a hairdryer or warm water ... hmmm ... me thinks I will NOT be recommending that to anyone! lol.

No worries Katiebbaby, I am not offended ... all is good in the hood! :)

All you lovely geeks have been very helpful, thankyou for your concern, I am sure my nails will make a full recovery :)

xxXxx

I used to soak my feet then dry them and use hairdrier for added heat to remove (now I just use haridryer, not noticed any difference in removal) to be honest those bad boys (well minx anyway not tried other wrap systems) are stuck fast and always rips some nail away, and I am very gentle so always do a minx then a polish as they become to weak otherwise xx

Thanks, I think I will try polishing them tomorrow. My fingernails aren't too bad now, but my thumbnails still feel like they could break easily. I really don't wanna file them down coz I'm happy with the length at the min. Hopefully if I'm careful with them they will be ok, the oil is helping loads. :)

I think I'll wait for them to recover properly before trying wraps again!

xXx

Latest posts

Back