Tanning when pregnant question?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockingpink

Reaction score
I have a client who is coming to me on Wednesday for a spray tan, she has just called me to say that she has found out today that she is 4 weeks pregnant, she really wants this tan as she is getting married next Saturday.
What problems am I going to face?
Is it harmful to the baby?
Hormone inbalance affecting the tan?

I use Sienna x solutions

HELP??

Now this is something thats not that straightforward and you are best to be up front with this customer and give her all the facts.

1) A spray tan is not known to be harmful to a mother or unborne child however I would highly recommend that adequate extraction is in place and that the customer wears snifits to avoid inhalation which may cause nausea.

2) With pregnant females the hormones are all over the place..especially with the first pregnancy..so the results from having a spray tan whilst pregnant may result in a patchy tan outcome ......so tell your customer this so now one is under any illusion as to the tan outcome.

If this is your customers first pregnancy...well I'm sorry to have to say ..but I would advise them against it just to be on the safe side.

If new to spraytanning and given her condition I would also reccomend a patch test prior to application of the tan.
HTH

I would probably advise her against having a tan at all, whilst there is no proof that a spray tan does anything to harm the unborn baby like many other treatments it advised against in the first three months.

Not only this her hormones could well cause the tan to be quite patchy and she might prefer not to be tanned at all rather than be tanned but patchy xx

I have to agree with Colin on this one, especially if it's a first pregnancy. I know there's no scientific proof that spray tan solution is in anyway harmful to mum or baby, BUT what if? How would you feel if after the tan, the client lost the baby? I know that's extreme and highly unlikely to happen, but you never know.
Personally, I won't spray a pregnant woman in their first trimester, even if they've had spray tans before, with me or someone else. There are too many variables and I'd hate for her hormones to go into overdrive and turn her tan patchy (especially if she's getting married!)

Best you can do, is give her all the info you can, do a patch test and get everything in writing incase it all goes wrong.
Good luck
k

When i did my training i was told to never spray pregnant clients.
Seeing as she is jut 4 weeks i shouldnt see this as being a problem. But to be honest i wouldnt risk it as for £20 or what ever you charge it is simply not worth your reputaion.
I would explain to your client that you need her doctors permission and ask her for a doctors note and staple that to her record card. x

(especially if she's getting married!)

erm call me old fashioned or just an old fart but......isnt it usual to get married and then get pregnant or does it mean that if you get pregnant then you have to get married :eek:

Sorry ...just couldn't resist that :lol::lol:

Ok...........I have explained EVERYTHING to her and possible effects to her tan and the baby but she is sure she still wants it done!! I sprayed her 2 weeks ago and she was pregnant then but she wasnt aware at that stage that she was expecting:eek: I am not happy about doing it to be honest, I don't need the money that bad!! I think I am just going to say NO I am not prepared to tan her. :irked:

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldnt dream of doing something that might possibly hurt a baby for the sake of vanity (or anything else for that matter), you do right stick to your guns and don't do it and don't let her bully you into it either!! I know I sound a bit huffy but people like that really get up my nose - and thats politely put!

Last edited:
erm call me old fashioned or just an old fart but......isnt it usual to get married and then get pregnant or does it mean that if you get pregnant then you have to get married :eek:

I'm 50+ and am old fashioned too, Collin. However, at 43, I became pregant and got married and I'm still married 10 years later. Stuff happens and not just to young people. I'm not taking offense to your post but I'm hoping you'll reflect a bit on "hitting send". I love handsome and intelligent men so I'll forgive you this time :)

To reply to the tanning while pregnant post: I just called my buddy who's been spraying for 4 years and her reply was, "why not? I asked if her training discussed pregnancy and she said she didn't recall but thought she'd definitely remember if it did. Personally, I think that if you are uncomfortable doing anything, then go with your gut. ox
hugs, kelly

Ok i'd like to know exactly what vapours are given off from a spray tan and in what quantity please ????

If using chemicals such as liquid and powder in pregnancy are safe,what is not in spray tanning ?

If it's safe in the second and third trimester,is it just the potentially patchy result preventing you ?

Just an FYI i am expecting,i colour my hair and tan,tint etc. Call it vanity but these treatments ARE perfectly safe for my baby and Colin we got married when our son was 5 :cool:

Ok, i'm going to stick my neck on the block again! :green: Most people at 4 weeks pregnant wouldn't even be aware yet! I mean, that is when your period would be due!

As far as I know (from my initial training) the only complication with spray tanning in the first trimester is that the results can be patchy due to raging hormones, I have sprayed people during this period who I have explained this to and they are happy to take the risk - that is their decision at the end of the day. As I have said on previous posts about this subject, I have never been advised not to tan during pregnancy due to 'risk to the baby' If there has been some new evidence that this is infact a serious risk and that we should not be performing spray tans on pregnant women then I would expect to be made aware of it by my initial training provider - or am I living in a dream world??

I am sure that if there was anything harmful to the baby there would be government health warnings plastered all over the bottle just as there are on headache tablets, cigarettes etc etc..

I am sorry but I really dont think it makes any difference if its the first, second or 12th pregnancy?? the hormones will still be there :eek: I don't think that your body reacts any differently hormone wise whatever pregnancy it is - again, I may be wrong, this is just my opinion and I am not a doctor or midwife! just a mum of two ;)

Anyone ??????

Surely pregnancy has not become a contraindication now we live in a law suit society ?

Ok i'd like to know exactly what vapours are given off from a spray tan and in what quantity please ????

If using chemicals such as liquid and powder in pregnancy are safe,what is not in spray tanning ?

If it's safe in the second and third trimester,is it just the potentially patchy result preventing you ?

Just an FYI i am expecting,i colour my hair and tan,tint etc. Call it vanity but these treatments ARE perfectly safe for my baby and Colin we got married when our son was 5 :cool:

the facts of the mater are that a first time pregnant female is more likely to react advesley to a spray tan than someone who is hormonally balanced.

We don't quiet know why it is more prolific in first timers...perhaps its simply a case that the body has not experienced what it is going through before and gets a little more "unbalanced" than a second pregnancy etc etc....who knows.

The choice as to weather or not you as a spray tan professional or indeed your customer so chooses to have or not have the application is one of personnel choice and must be made having gone through a full consultation with the client first.

A patch test is a wise precaution as is adequate extraction of over spray thus avoiding and potential nausea issues.

There are no known adverse reaction issues to solution entering the lungs but it is far more comfortable for both the operator and customer if air borne particles are not breathed into the lungs...we are not fish..our lungs prefer clean dry air.

Obviously the amount of airborne particles very much depends on the type of equipment is used (HVLP or Airbrush) and of course how good a spray tan operator you are.

It is also wise to,having pointed out the potential patchy results ensure your customer signs a disclaimer.

The main issue is to ensure that if you are to spray a pregnant female that you act responsibly and point out ALL the possible pitfalls,do a patch test and get a disclaimer signed to protect yourself. :hug:

I'm 50+ and am old fashioned too, Collin. However, at 43, I became pregant and got married and I'm still married 10 years later. Stuff happens and not just to young people. I'm not taking offense to your post but I'm hoping you'll reflect a bit on "hitting send". I love handsome and intelligent men so I'll forgive you this time :)

Aw you are so kind Kelly :hug:

mmmmm talking of which stuff happening ...now let me see...when I married my lovely lady 5 years ago my two sons were 12 and 16

My 16 year old was MY BEST MAN...cos he IS :hug:

How bizarre is that...but what a best man he was...absolutley fantastic couldnt have chosen a better man!!!!.

My insurance covers me to spray tan pregnant women in all stages of pregancy. Indeed it may go patchy due to hormones as it may go patchy when menstruating.....these are the things we tell our clients. We should all be using appropriate extraction and precaustions regardless of whether someone is pregnant, if a pregnant woman can inhale solution sure a non pregnant woman can and we wouldnt want that now would we?:green: Hence the use of extraction, snifits etc etc etc

:eek: How very un PC! It is 2008 some people (shock horror) have children without a partner these days even single men!!

Thankyou. So assuming all sray tan tech's use appropriate ventilation for each spray tan,it is only the risk of it going patchy wich would prevent you carrying out the treatment,and thankyou Toni Lee for sharing the same reults may occur during menstruation.

In that case i feel some of the above comments on this thread are unjustified and extremely judgemental. As a professional i would expect to be advised of the possible outcome,and TBH i would expect the be offered a lighter solution to minimise the effects were the result to be patchy,not judged as vain or putting my baby at risk :!:

Colin,I shall take your reply as "gospel" however i am surprised not all sray tan tech's would make it their job to know these facts rather than making assumptions or passing judgement because they way i read this,correct me if i'm wromg,is that as long as the client is fully aware results can not be gaurenteed as normal, spray tanning in pregnancy requires a dislosure rather than it being a contraindication ....... right ?

Totally correct Becki, I think there is a in built panic when people think about ladies in the first trimester but its a miricle not an illness! Although Becki using a lighter solution wont stop the patchyness to be fair although a patchy light tan will be more than discreet than a patchy dark tan :lol:

So long as the client is aware of the possible outcome, the reason and heres important bit for the tech....they sign the consultation card to show this your fine. You as a tech have covered yourself.

As far as the sniffits to stop the nausia.....I have to say having been pregnant 3 times and suffered with "morning/24 hour sickness" (cos its not morning is it ladies??!!) snifits woulnt stop it and pregnant mums are pretty good at sussing out which smells will make guarantee a heaving session and which smells will just continue to make you feel nausious:green:

HTH

Totally correct Becki, I think there is a in built panic when people think about ladies in the first trimester but its a miricle not an illness! Although Becki using a lighter solution wont stop the patchyness to be fair although a patchy light tan will be more than discreet than a patchy dark tan :lol: pmsl that's what i meant :D

So long as the client is aware of the possible outcome, the reason and heres important bit for the tech....they sign the consultation card to show this your fine. You as a tech have covered yourself.

As far as the sniffits to stop the nausia.....I have to say having been pregnant 3 times and suffered with "morning/24 hour sickness" (cos its not morning is it ladies??!!) snifits woulnt stop it and pregnant mums are pretty good at sussing out which smells will make guarantee a heaving session and which smells will just continue to make you feel nausious:green:

HTH

Thankyou very much hun xx

Ive said this before on another thread and i have also pmd people about my opinions all i will say is that today when i turned on my computer to my msn home page there is an article direction to advise that women in their first weeks of pregnancy avoid using perfumes and perfumed skincare products because of a possibility that a combination of chemicals could possibly alter various things with boy foetuses in development.

Now no company whether it be a deodorant company or a tanning company can say this is true or that its not true because they just dont know.There are not enough studies on it yet and i dont even imagine anyone will ever know.How can you study this area who would allow themseves to be regularly sprayed with anything when pregnant when the study was to do with possible birth defects.

I myself have researched certain evidence on the net about the possible dangers of tan spray because my 17 year old daughter is doing it and using it regularly.My research prompted me to buy an extractor and my daughter if doing a few tans wears a mask i do feel i probably should be getting everyone to wear sniffits, thats why they were developed.

It seems inhalation and ingestion is not a good idea which goes for numerous other products.Tan solution IS a combination of chemicals whether natural or man made.

My conclusion for myself is no i would not do any pregnant women and definately not in the first few weeks of pregnancy.Now thats my choice and this is my opinion but i do suggest as with anything else we use on our bodies and others that we can do our own research,theres plenty of it out there if you look and make some of our own decisions.Noone on this forum or anywhere else can say spraytan definately cannot harm an unborn child and noone can say it does.

I myself have researched certain evidence on the net about the possible dangers of tan spray because my 17 year old daughter is doing it and using it regularly.My research prompted me to buy an extractor and my daughter if doing a few tans wears a mask i do feel i probably should be getting everyone to wear sniffits, thats why they were developed.

This is just good practice in general spray tanning.

It seems inhalation and ingestion is not a good idea which goes for numerous other products.Tan solution IS a combination of chemicals whether natural or man made.

I would also think if any threat were that factual we would see insurance companies changing their policies.
Just my opinion of course

Latest posts

Back