Tanning when pregnant question?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they wouldn't because there is no factual evidence thats the thing.

Have posted this pdf before, but this seems a great place to do so again, if for nothing else other than the benefit of our newer members, and its seems to be the best medical based advice I can find in the fairly hefty amount of research I have done in this subject.

Personally, based on this, I would advise any pregnant woman to think very carefully before a tan, and take adequate precautions against inhalation of the overspray. My insurance doesn't cover me in the first tri...so simply, I wouldn't do it then.

If I were the client, I personally think that a baby is enough of a miracle to protect against even the tiniest risk and wouldn't do it, based not on the evidence available, but more lack of it!

Attachments

• self-tanners[1].pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 141
If I were the client, I personally think that a baby is enough of a miracle to protect against even the tiniest risk and wouldn't do it, based not on the evidence available, but more lack of it!

I dont want to rock the boat and upset anyone at all, BUT, theres always a but, i think if we were all to live (pregnant & general) life so cautiously we wouldnt leave the house!!

as someone has said, some people dont even know they are pregnant till 4 weeks, some even later. they still carry on tanning, drinking, smoking as they dont know. some women make the choice to carry on doing these things even through the pregnancy, with no negative outcome.

That fact sheet, no offence, but i may aswell have looked at a blank piece of paper, because to me all it was basically saying is there is no evidence of harm, but we're warning you anyway. The only thing that WAS interesting to me was that it stated to limit UV sunbed usage to 15 mins per session, i would assume thats NOT on a 220W bed!!! But its NOT telling you to not go on them at all!!! So Please tell me if ive missed something else important on that fact sheet, because i'm just not seeing it!!

I do feel a bit mean saying these things, and like i said, im not saying them to cause contrversy or upset. i just thought it should be added and it is just my opinion. for the record Im not cruel and i dont want any babies to be harmed!! :hug:

Last edited:
There is NO factual evidence that any harm can come to an unborn child "as yet"..that is well worth remembering.

As professionals it is only appropriate that we take "best measures" in protecting us and our clients and make the experience as comfortable as is possible for all parties concerned and provide "additional" protection as a precaution to those that may need it....just because we all wear seat belts in our cars doesnt mean were going to crash now does it.

For goodness sake if we act responsibly then we are protecting everyones best position.

If you don't wish to spray a pregnant female..then don't.

If you and your client are happy to proceed..then for goodness sakes do the right thing and provide as much consultation and protection when undertaking the treatment as is possible.

Its all quiet simple really :hug:

Everyone is entitled to their opion Kate, and I fully respect your right to yours. This is 'happy debate' to me, a chance to share opinions...& not about expecting everyone to agree! It'd be a right old boring world if we always did...and their'd probably be a lot less posts on this site!

My caution is very possibly overstated...that I accept, but has good reason too. Everyday I ask myself the question of whether it was something I did in pregnancy that caused my baby daughter to be born with cancer....I didn't drink, smoke, use selftanners (albeit I carried on working tanning others), hair colour or any other supposedly controversial substance, I ate healthily took all the correct vitamins and didn't take any medication - safe or otherwise, yet no one will ever be able to prove that it wasn't something 'unknown' to all that I did....its a guilt I will carry for the rest of my life....that I may have been able to make a safer choice and it wouldn't have turned out that way for her.

Funnily enough, I more than respect peoples right to make choices and don't believe in wrapping ourselves or our children in cotton wool, but its just too much of an unknown for me personally....primarily because no one has done the research, to be able to make an informed decision on it. And that research is relatively unlikely to appear...the drug/substance companies do not see it as a/ a large enough market to warrant the cost, and b/ the companies don't see it as ethical to carry out testing on unborn children and the activists would have a field day if they did! ITs easier for them to say 'we don't know' so best avoid if in any doubt'

Fact is, any info on here about the subject will be personal and not 100% factual, because no one actually knows the facts. All we can do is share our thoughts and experience and hope it gives guidance to the original poster....and thats what we've all done....mission accomplished!

But thats just me.....everyone has their experiences and reasons....thats mine.:hug:

I totally agree with Lyndsey, everybody is entitled to their own opinion and you as a professional have got to make the choice whether you as a private person believe in this and whether you as a professional want to expose your client and yourself to any risks.

Yes we might not know till a few weeks later if we are pregnant but that doesnt mean we have to continue doing all the wrong things just because we have already done them for 4 weeks?

There is already enough comments on this thread about the risks (proven or not) but what about discomfort?

Some women are lucky enough to feel fantastic all through their pregnancy but unfortunately most dont and have a few if not many uncomfortable months.

Especially the first three months are often accompanied with feeling sick at the oddest things (even favourite food), sometimes new allergies are developed, we might feel dizzy or exhausted or the body reacts in other ways.

Especially in the first pregnancy you will find out a lot of new things about your body and during that time it might not be the best idea to experiment with new things and products that you have not tried before.

As with all new clients make sure you have them fill out a consultation form and be very specific about the different aspects of the tanning session and what she could be experiencing. I would personally not advise it - the same as if the client was on medication. Pregnancy is by all means not a contraindication but there are many chances of the tan going wrong or the person feeling sick or uncomfortable, however if you are happy to do it then ensure that the client knows exactly what she is to expect.

women in their first weeks of pregnancy avoid using perfumes and perfumed skincare products because of a possibility that a combination of chemicals could possibly alter various things with boy foetuses in development.

So that would be Bubble bath, shower Gel, Deodorant, Make up, Body lotion, etc etc etc....??

So that would be Bubble bath, shower Gel, Deodorant, Make up, Body lotion, etc etc etc....??

this is getting rather silly..I think its quiet obviouse what Gillian means :hug:

this is getting rather silly..I think its quiet obviouse what Gillian means :hug:

With all due respect i don't think it is.

Surely manufactorers should know exactly what is in their product and what effects it will have in pregnancy without using expectant women as guinea pigs,unless i'm completely missing the point here .

We KNOW hair dye has absolutely no ill effects on an embryo/fetus,why don't we know about other products ? There is scientific evidence to back this up,not because it was tested in pregnancy,because they know their product inside out. Hair dye does not penetrate the skin,nor does it enter the bloodstream and any odour given off is in such a small ratio of oxygen to odour it can not cause harm,it can not get to the unborn baby.

I have requested some info on how we know enhancement products are safe in pregnancy,i am not for a second expecting them to say they put babies at risk by testing on pregnant mothers,so what my question all along has been,in principle,there has to be a way to be sure,without unnecessary risks :idea:

If i were a tanning tech i would want things like this to have been reasearched,well before i spent my money training.

You'd be hard pushed to find anyone to say that anything manufactured definately ,absolutely, no doubt does or does not harm unborn babies or anyone else.
They dont even say that about cigarettes they say may do or can.
I think this is becoming argument for argument sake.
Tan or dont tan there are no set rules. I dont, you do,my choice ,your choice.

Hi all - I'm reading all your comments with great interest. Just had a thought and wondered if you could explain? I know what the snifits are for, but surely if you use them, you are breathing in through your mouth instead? Or are they a filter?

Sorry to take the thread off on a tangent, just a bit confused!

Also, if I were in theory "trying" for a baby, should I not tan people, as I would be exposing myself to more than the average client?

Thank you!

Hi all - I'm reading all your comments with great interest. Just had a thought and wondered if you could explain? I know what the snifits are for, but surely if you use them, you are breathing in through your mouth instead? Or are they a filter?

Sorry to take the thread off on a tangent, just a bit confused!

Also, if I were in theory "trying" for a baby, should I not tan people, as I would be exposing myself to more than the average client?

Thank you!

Sniffits are a filter that fits neatly in the nostril hun....as a tanning therapist you could use these or a face mask...or of course neither. The snifits are used for clients as they don't cover any skin on the face, and therefore be a 'white mark' hazard.

As for the question of 'should you or shoudn't you?' Well, thats pretty much what this thread is about. The different opinions. There isn't any proof there is a problem, but likewise there is no proof it is safe.

From there you need to make your own decision.

Erm.. no, I thought that was what she did mean! What other perfumes or perfumed skin care products could it be then? (havent read the link yet btw)

I think i'll just carry on tanning them if they want and tell them the risks... Oh, I still have ALL my sniffits from my initial training :eek: Havent found anyone that is prepared to use one yet! :rolleyes:

Surely manufactorers should know exactly what is in their product and what effects it will have in pregnancy without using expectant women as guinea pigs,unless i'm completely missing the point here .

If you would care to have a look at manufacturers wording on labels and what is covered in training it is clear that there are no warnings issued regarding the spraying of pregnant females as to date there is NO known adverse effects ...if there were we would all be obliged to make such statements on our packaging etc.

The point is clearly being missed as it is opinion that is being passed in this thread ..not fact :hug:

It is obvious to take "additional care " in making a treatment more "comfortable" for someone who has a higher likelihood of an adverse reaction to the treatment I.E a pregnant female.

As a species us humans all react differently to different ingredients which again is why it is important to undertake a patch test to customers who potentially are in a high risk reaction category I.E a pregnant female.

HTH :hug:

Until there is a definite answers one way or another from the GMC or similar Body, I would say it is safe to tan pregnant ladies, no matter how far pregnant they are.

However, from personal experience with fluctuations of hormones with my clients... I would not and do not offer a spray tan knowing that the lady is in her first trimester. This is not because I feel the solution/dha/vapours etc etc are unsafe to her unborn child.. but due to the fact I don't want them coming back telling me they are patchy, the tan didnt take, the client being worried for the health of her unborn baby or what ever... I choose to only tan ladies after 12 weeks of pregnacy. Its not for argument.. its my choice as a spray tan operative.

Until I hear otherwise this is my way. :hug:

The students that are taught by me are encouraged to take on board this thinking too. :hug:

well i may be shot down by all you but im due a baby in about 2 weeks and have been a therapist for over 10 years and during that time i have tanned, (cream and spray) lots of pregnant women and all i would say is ensure your client wears a mask and that there is adequate ventilation. also make sure she is aware that it may be patchy due to hormones etc and get her to sign her record card saying she was advised about it. it is also good to have a senior or second therapist witness this.

during my pregnancy i have been tanned, had my hair coloured, waxed etc and there has been no problems. i always have thought that the "dont do it if she pregnant phylosophy" is always taken to extremes. the baby is well protected and unless something is inhaled or goes through the blood stream, there really is no way of anything affecting the baby.

michelle x

I was trained never to spray a client in the first trimester.
So I went along with that.
I suppose you need to check your insurance first tbh.
Secondly....I would feel devastated if someone had a problem and then blamed the tan. No matter how daft it may seem.
Also bear in mind that we live in a compensation nation.
It may having NOTHING to do with the tan etc. but I just wouldn't want to be brought into this.
jmho:hug:

Hey all!!

Yeah ive encountered a few preg clients but turned them away because i merely didnt want to risk it because i didnt have any training or knowledge on tanning pregnant women. But have started investigating it because Im now 13 weeks preg :)Love:) and want to give myself a spray tan ( i have ghostly white skin)

Since falling pregnant, ive stopped doing nails and spray tanning only coz the smells were making my morning sickness a million times worse! :irked:

I have pro-sun spray gun and cans ( just to test out from sallys and i used to use natura-sun or tantruth to spray clients ) On the pro-sun packaging it says on the front that it contains vit A, and obv this is a no-no when indjested when pregnant as it causes serious deformities in the baby.

I called the number on the the side of the product box so enquire about the type of vitamin A in this product as i have read that its only certain types of the vitamin that can legally be used in cosmetics.
The "advisor" on the end of the phone said that they could not officially comment on thier product and they would not even offer their professional advice!! ( shocking huh!!)

Does vitamin A have the same affect on the baby when it is applied to the skin?

Does even the "legal" lypes of vit A have any affects on the unborn baby?

Do all spray tan products contain vit A?

Its such a grey area eh,

Any solid help would be appreciated!
cheers!

xxxx

at the risk of making things complicated , I have kept this link from when i was pregi not so long ago and wanted a tan. I researched it and asked a miscarriage forum i am a member of if anyone have any advice and the following link was sent to me.

Fake tans during pregnancy

I think maybe you could ask your fake tan supplier for some info or they may have it on their data or coshh sheets.

I think its a tough one, I would say that most cosmetic suppliers are going to cover their backs and I definate answer is going to be tricky to find. do hope you find the answer though.

tigi

Latest posts

Back