The bristles are spreading open on my acrylic brush when appyling L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*aan*

Reaction score
I use nsi products and have a kolinsky size 8 brush. Of late it seems the bristles are spreading in half when im patting and shaping a bead.

I have used the brush cleaner i have from my kit to see if that helped but it hasnt.

Im assuming its ruined as its effecting my acrylic application. So i am going to buy a new one. But i wanted to check what i have done wrong before i part with another £30 ive only been using it since September 2010.

I normally clean it in the monomer then store it flat in a tin.

You have a build up of product in your brush, even if you can't see or feel it. You need to invest in a good quality professional brush cleaner. Using the monomer won't do at all. I'm sure our fellow nail professionals on your side of the pond can provide you with some recommendations on a good professional brush cleaner; otherwise, you'll be spending a small fortune replacing your brush every few months.

I actually disagree. I only ever clean my brush in clean monomer after using it and dry into shape on a lint free wipe, then also store flat.
That works for me and is all i do, that is how I was taught in my training.
Also, even when I dont use my brush I get it out every couple of days for a dip in the monomer to 'give it a drink'.

When you press down and wipe your brush are you getting a yellow stain? My first thoughts were product in the brush too.

Have you tried leaving it to soak in monomer? Some people on here have 'revived' brushes, there are a few techniques including using a gentle hair conditioner so it could well be worth a search on that. If your brush is dead theres nothing to lose in trying.

I am with Chocolatepickle on this one...

I had an NSI sales lady in just last week and she too said clean with clean monomer and store flat.

There are all sorts of advice on here about reviving brushes - have a search through, I am sure you will find some help. I am sure your brush can be saved x

Best of Luck x

I've always used a professional brush cleaner because it gets out what the monomer may not and it has a built in conditioner. But as you've seen here, everyone is different and that is what makes this site so wonderful. :o)

If others have had good luck with just the monomer, then perhaps you're just not getting all of the powder out of the brush or not conditioning it properly. I'd follow these ladies' advice.

Wash it. Whan Mine got really bad in school I used Acetone and cleaned all the crap out. ( that is what is in most good brush cleaners) then I used a good shampoo and washed it swirling it in the palm of my hand till it was good and lathered up. Then rinse it very very well. Dip in monomer and shape! That was a long time a ago and my brush is like new! I am sure others will say I am wrong, but that is what worked best for me :) :Love:

Depends on how busy you are, if you have 5 or more clients a day, 5 days a week then 8 months is longer then I would expect a brush to last.
If it's once in a blue moon then first thing I would try is washing and shaping my brush, followed by soaking in monomer. If that fails then bite the bullet, but honestly hun, I don't think £30 is that much to spend on a brush, the 508 that a lot of geeks use is more expensive then that:suprised:

I use nsi products and have a kolinsky size 8 brush. Of late it seems the bristles are spreading in half when im patting and shaping a bead.

I have used the brush cleaner i have from my kit to see if that helped but it hasnt.

Im assuming its ruined as its effecting my acrylic application. So i am going to buy a new one. But i wanted to check what i have done wrong before i part with another £30 ive only been using it since September 2010.

I normally clean it in the monomer then store it flat in a tin.

Hi, i just posted a thread yesterday about my new nsi brush, I went to the nsi store and the tech there was so helpful, showed exactly what I had to do to get it back into shape nad answered a few of my other non brush related queries. Why don't you pop into your local nsi shop and ask for some advice, they couldn't do enogh to help me today. The tech told me after burping the brush to side roll the bristles against the dappen dish and it worked my brush is now back to normal, it just needs to to be side rolled like swivelling the bristles. Thanx to Toni at NSI Glasgow for all your help.:biggrin:

Hello,

Thanks for all your replys.

Chocolatepickle, Im not sure i will have a try and see? I certainly haven't noticed any.

Susie h, I do about 5 clients a week (i only work evenings) and thats a lot for me lately it was definitely less back in Spetember as i didnt pass the course until January. So it probally should have lasted longer. Im glad you mentioned that little fact though as its really handy to know. I had no idea how long they should last for. Thank you. oh and no i agree about the price what i was worried about was buying a more expensive one and not knowing how i damaged the one i had to go and damage my new one too.

Cookiemonster, I would love love love to go to my nearest Nsi center but its about 5 hours away which is why im considering converting. But i simply cant afford to do it at the moment.

So it seems i could have product in the brush or it needs a jolly good clean. I will definitely try all these tips to see if i can revive it so i will know if this is the reason its stopped working.

Thanks everybody

*update*

Well i tried all the little tips and the brush still did not improve.

So i brought the new one from nis and ohmyword the difference in my finish is amazing. It is very very true what you geeks say about spending more money on a brush.

I practised with my Mum who ive practised on since the beginning and even she could notice. They were so smooth and flawless.

Thanks again for all your help before.

aan

Latest posts

Back