The Event - Rewarding

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to struggle to be brief but here goes...

Salon Geek to me is so many things....

I came here for a nosey....and ended up with my future career.
I am still learning, still at the early stages but whatever I want to know....I know that it is here....within these blue pages....

I feel like this 'place' is my friend....the friend I have always wanted....
a friend that can be all encompassing....or just let me be for a while....

I laugh here....I cry here....I smile....I frown....I get mad....I get hugged and give hugs....I learn....I get frustrated...I get advice....I blush....I ponder....

Salon Geek is a jewel in cyberspace and I am glad I found it and that you all did too xxxxx

I am going to struggle to be brief but here goes...

Salon Geek to me is so many things....

I came here for a nosey....and ended up with my future career.
I am still learning, still at the early stages but whatever I want to know....I know that it is here....within these blue pages....

I feel like this 'place' is my friend....the friend I have always wanted....
a friend that can be all encompassing....or just let me be for a while....

I laugh here....I cry here....I smile....I frown....I get mad....I get hugged and give hugs....I learn....I get frustrated...I get advice....I blush....I ponder....

Salon Geek is a jewel in cyberspace and I am glad I found it and that you all did too xxxxx

Ditto what Jo said xxxxxx

salon geek is important to me because of all the helpful advice it has given me over the last few years.
when i first started as a nail tech i was very young and had no confidence in doing them, but since being a member of this site i have had so many tips and advice that has kept me going. I can now say i am proud of the work i produce and am really grateful to everyone on here for the support they dont just give me but everyone.

we r like a lil family (big family hug) !!

Being a beauty therapist is all i have ever done and it is a huge passion so much so that my closest friends are all in the industry its our common bond.
My fix used to be the professional magazines to keep up with the latest, now it is here.For me as a home worker i need salon geek to keep me updated and informed and everything else, the laughs,support and friends you have are the added bonus.

:) Salon Geek what it means to me.

FAMILY

FREINDSHIP

AGONY AUNT/UNCLE

Open 24/7 even bank holiday's and it gets me out of doing housework because before I realize it I have spent all my time on here, and now its my bedtime have to be up for work at 4-15am so goodnight :hug:

I hope you're all emailing Sam your answers via the email link in the original post :D

I'll try and keep it brief!

Salongeek is special to me for so many reasons:

1) It makes me feel that I belong to a team. Without it I would just be one nail technician, out there working on my own. With the geek site behind me I know that I'm so much more than that. I have virtual colleagues with a wealth of knowledge and experience behind them who are always willing to offer the benefit of their experience to "younger" techs.

2) It's impressive!! firstly it gives me an edge over my local competition because I can keep up to the minute with developments in the industry, but also, when clients ask me a question and I tell them I can find the answer because I'm a member of a professional forum, they are quite impressed!

3) Like so many others, without this site I would have given up ages ago. This site was recommended to me by Habia when my training provider went into liquidation halfway through my foundation course, and I was desperately trying anywhere and everywhere to find out what was happening. All I was looking for was an answer to my question about training, but what I found was a mine of information, quite literally!

4) I have made some wonderful friends on this site. Some I have met, some I have not, but nonetheless without this site I would be a lone tech with no friends who share a common interest, and I think that it makes me a better tech to be "plugged in" to the industry network so to speak.

There are so many geeks who have made this site special for me, I will email Sam in a moment, and it's not exclusively those who share my opinions who have made it that way for me. When locked in heated debate with a geek who has an opposing opinion, it stimulates your thought process and give you food for thought. There are times when I have changed my view on something after hearing the argument of another geek, and this in itself is a valuable part of the site for me.

Right here I go!
When i first decided to have a noisy at this site I was amazed at how many people from all over the world were members, I joined straight away as the amount of knowledge I was now discovering was unbelievable, even tho i`d been doing nails for a couple of years I was picking up new tips and techniques which vastly improved my performance as a nail technician this also increasing my client base!! So there`s one big THANKYOU!! to begin with.
Next it inspired me to continue training and try other products and i started with a conversion with cnd ,a product which i now love to work with.
The people on this site are so friendly and helpful and its good that i can give advice and help to others the same way i was given. Its made me feel that I`m not just a mobile tech out there on my own my collegues are here on this site with me all the time.
I also love the fact that you can be intouch with some of the great names in the industry through this site, who`d of thought that I`d of been able to pm Gigi Rouse!! and get a reply !!
I have made some great friends here too and its unreal that some live so close to me and i never knew them!!!!
It has become an addiction that i try occasionally to give up ( mainly cos hubby moans that i geek too much when i`m not working lol ) but it calls you back time and time again its almost like an encylopedia of beauty theres always something you can look up and read about.
So thankyou Sam for having the brains to come up with this fantastic site!!!

Last edited:
salon geek is SPECIAL to me because I'm not vey confident and sometimes I wanna cry if something has gone wrong. I fell that I can share my good days and bad and know that there is always someone for me. ILOVE YOU ALL XXXX:hug:

Although I am mainly a lurker, I really appreciate the comradery and support amongst the geeks here. It is an inspiring and refreshing change from the cattiness and competitiveness amongst colleagues in the salon.

The ideas and confidence and PRIDE everyone has in our art and industry makes me really happy that there are Techs with standards out there, and I find it encouraging because so much of my clientele (and even my boss-lady) don't think that. (Can you actually believe their thinking makes me second-guess myself?? *sigh*)

Although I am mainly a lurker, I really appreciate the comradery and support amongst the geeks here. It is an inspiring and refreshing change from the cattiness and competitiveness amongst colleagues in the salon.

The ideas and confidence and PRIDE everyone has in our art and industry makes me really happy that there are Techs with standards out there, and I find it encouraging because so much of my clientele (and even my boss-lady) don't think that. (Can you actually believe their thinking makes me second-guess myself?? *sigh*)

welcome to the site flower

dont ever think your 2nd class - train, believe, perform = result -= clients

I love this site too! Must admit, I am mainly a lurker nowadays, but I enjoy my time on here just as much as ever.
I can learn something new every time I come on here, as someone else posted it is an encyclopeadia, and for me a think tank for all things nails. I love Biz Geek too - in all honesty I am probably a biz geek first and a nail geek close second, but it really does stimulate and encourage both of these passions for me.

Someone else posted a great point about giving a competative edge and I totally agree with this and for me if I had to choose one particular thing about salongeek which made it invaluable for me it would be this!:)

salon geek to me is like a Heinken version of a staff room

being a therapist is a lonely place sometimes, especially if you are a sole trader.

so logging onto salon geek once, twice, three even four times a day is like taking your coffee break in a staff room BUT you can avoid the people that either annoy you or are not on your particular wavelength that day.

A real staff room would mean having to talk to people that you may not want to talk too, then you get into arguments over the hobnobs and whose turn it is to wash the cups.

This virtual staff room can brighten your day or help with huge dilemmas. It helps to retain professional standards and if you forget how to do something or a client asks you a question that you don't know the answer too, someone on geek will be there (usually 6 of them).

I love the fact that you can PM, visitor message, go off to a specially devised group to discuss a particular subject, blog and talk about yourself, and encourage geek meets, secret santa gifts and I loved my special birthday message.

Salon Geek is special to because of all the reasons that have been put, and so much better than I ever could.
When I first joined it was before training and asked a what I now realise was a silly question and was rather put out by some of the answer's, NOW I have a full understanding of why I got those answers.
But I did think for a while that it would be held against me even tho I started training, well if it has been non of you have ever shown it to me, questions I have asked have been answered, its like having work mate's, friend's, therapists, and sometimes just a shoulder to lean/cry on...just like a family.
The best site I have ever joined in all, long may it reign xx

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if this site did not exist, then neither would I - as a nail technician.

This site has helped me see what this industry is all about - passion.

Passion for training of excellence, passion for the well being of all nail beds that come my way & passionate to be the very best I could be.

Having my work critiqued by the very best in the industry - in what other industry can you ask the question, show your work, get feedback & online tutorials and everything else by THE creme de la creme of the industry/job you do? Blooming nowhere, that's such a fantastic help, especially, like me, as I work on my own.
I have nobody to talk to around me about my industry, I'm passionate about it and love my job, I cannot believe that I do this and NEVER once in almost 5 years have I thought - bugger I can't do with work today. I'm so into nails, I dream about it , and people pay me! How fantastic a job is that:lol:.

Then, of course, there's the wonderful people on here, that make this site what it is - THE GEEKS THEMSELVES. Where would I be without them.......back working for the radio station, flogging commercials I guess, and hating getting out of bed in the morning.:irked:

Thanks Sam, for having the idea & turning it into a reality.:hug:

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your input on the Top Secret Shin Dig threads the past couple of weeks. Its now time to ask another question :D

Just like many of you, SalonGeek.com holds a very, very special place in my heart and very rewarding to me for a variety of reasons. What I want to ask is...

Can you sum up why is SalonGeek.com special to you?

It is special to me because I have learnt and been able to pass on to others useful information on a variety of nail concerns and other questions. From starting out as a student to getting to educator level I am all still learning and need help and once I have learnt am glad to pass on the great info others have given to me.
I have also made some fantastic cyber friends on the site which has led to real life friendships and meeting at shows, geek meets etc.
Geeks have laughed with me at the good times and held my hand during some of the worst times and tbh I don't know where I would be without you:hug:

and more importantly...

What geek(s) make it special for you (and why).

So... instructions are:
  1. Reply to this thread with at least one reason why SalonGeek.com is special to you (remember, sum up each reason!)
  2. Email (click here) what geek(s) make it special for you (and why)
Pleasepleaseplease... don't mention names in this thread!

I've gone a bit emotional now actually........:eek:

Hi
Well here goes... Salon Geek is special to me because there are so many other nail techs that think like me! I thought I was like a nerdy train spotter complete with mac and drove my kids mad by reading nail books and Scratch, constantly talking about nails and polishing my Student of the Year Award. They still think I'm strange but now I know I'm not because all you guys on the site are just like me! Thanks for enlightening me

Salon geek has became way more than just a website to me it is where a lot of my friends are, where i keep up to date with my business, where i discuss problems & where i find confidence!

In the beauty business everyone wants to be the best and with so much competition it's hard to stay on top but thanks to this site i'm using better products than others in my area, i have better techniques & access to the worlds finest trainers.

So thanks to Salongeek i'm getting more clients than others in my area & i'm earning more money and thats what having a business is all about.

Also, the friends i've made on here are amazing and best of all they understand the business and share my excitement about silly things like: the amazing smell of jasmine oil :lol:

So big thank you Salon Geek for my healthy bank balance & Great Friends xxx

I know I shouldn't, but i'm gonna mention names ......:)
CLICK HERE for my list

Latest posts

Back