The "I am feeling the pinch" thread...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a lady on Tv last week (think it was LK) that gave you tips on how to save money when shopping. I'm sure the tips will still be on one the website. One of the tips was when you buy say like your 4pk of beans make sure that they don't actually cost more than they would if you bought them individaully same with juice, make sure the big bottle is cheaper than two smaller ones etc
Another one I try and stick to is to never go shopping on an empty stomach, the amount of money you can waste buying scrummy foods just because you're hungry is silly. The same could probably be said for the time of the month lol, those horrible cravings.
Make a list of what's missing from your cupboard and just re stock instead of going in and buying bits you probably don't need.
We shop at Lidl for our fruit and salad bits, it's a bit cheaper and I'm conviced the grapes are bigger lol.

For food how about swapping beans on toast (not the most appealing meal but still quite yummy) with beans on crumpets? They're really cheap and with a bit of grated cheese it makes a nice meal.
I also love cheesey beany pasta bake which is (as you've probably gathered) pasta, tin of beans and cheese sauce (from a packet) and grated cheese on top. It's so simple but it's lovely.

Aagain, Makro is good for bulk buying as it's where cafes and the like shop for their bits.
Just don't go down the sweet isle, waaay too much temptation!

I was just wondering of anyone has some good recipes to share..that are low-fat, healthy and fairly simple to make!

I spend alot of time everyday wondering...''what the hell am i gonna do for tea tonight!'' lol I have a boyfriend that can near enough eat his own body weight in food!...and a 12 year old lad who could also eat his own body weight in food lol

I don't know about anyone else but although none of us are fussy eaters - I find it really difficult to think of recipes that are not only gonna fill everyone up but are also healthy, low fat....and low/no carb...so has anyone got any good recipes to share? :irked:

i always try and pay for things with cheque! NOT MANY PEOPLE DO THIS ANYMORE

The problem with this is that loads of shops, including supermarkets, don't accept cheques anymore. I'm sure it's been like this since April.

As mentioned before, I cook loads of one thing and freeze it like Spag Bol, stews etc.

I also have a slow cooker which I bought for £5 (ok, it's about 8 years old) but works like a dream. You can buy cheaper cuts of meat and let it happily cook away for the day, when you get home, dinner is ready !

Aldi and Lidl are good places to shop, their food is really good and they normally have deals on fruit & veg.

Buying in bulk from Makro / Costco is good too, but do keep an eye on prices as sometimes they can actually be more expensive than if you bought it from the Supermarket.

My view on kids / husbands that are fussy eaters, GO HUNGRY !! If you are really feeling the pinch and can't afford to shop like you used to or afford those luxuries, then come on guys, you are just going to have to eat with the rest of us. Perhaps this is harsh, but needs must. You can't have it both ways.....

Keep your eyes open for any vouchers. For instance, in this weekend's News of the World paper, they had a £5 off Tesco voucher if you spend £30 in one transaction. Not bad I think !

Cut out on things you don't need like sweets, biscuits etc, or perhaps buy cheaper versions of your favourite, or cut down on the amount you buy.

Buy "own name brands" on certain things that might not be that critical to you, such as rice / pasta etc. I find that things like that prettty much taste the same as branded products.

Perhaps you can get away with buying cheaper shampoos / detergents etc. if you don't suffer from any skin conditions that you feel might be aggrevated.

As for the breadmaker, this is just my personal view on it, you need to be dedicated to it :lol: You will need to make your dough and bake every day if you want to have fresh bread every day. Home made bread does not stay fresh as long as bought bread because it doesn't have all the extra additives in. Some breadmakers can also be quite expensive, so the break even on them aren't really worth while. But if you have the dedication to the beast, then perhaps it might work for you.

Also, if you buy your lunch everyday, start making your own and cut back on all those Costa coffees ! Not only are they dead expensive, but they have loads of cals. in them as well !

If you go on family outings, take your own lunch with you instead of buying food wherever you are.

Most importantly, and I know this is hard, but we just need to shop more wisely, make the sacrifices were necessary and not buy as many luxuries as we are used to.

I find it hard not being able to just walk in a shop anymore and buy willy nilly or just grab whatever takes my fancy. I do really need to think about things now, but such is life.

Marlise

My view on kids / husbands that are fussy eaters, GO HUNGRY !! If you are really feeling the pinch and can't afford to shop like you used to or afford those luxuries, then come on guys, you are just going to have to eat with the rest of us. Perhaps this is harsh, but needs must. You can't have it both ways.....

Marlise

I am with Marlise on the "go hungry" part, well all of it really but especially that bit. I have NEVER EVER pandered to my daughters fads about food, eat or go hungry - she always eats. The same with her friends to come to our house for tea, they know I dont pander so they eat, their mothers cannot believe that they will eat fishcakes, mince or vegetable lasagne at my house but not at home.

I think the problem starts when they are babies and giving them pre-prepared jars of food which are bland and taste of nothing or are vile. I used them when I had too, otherwise she had what we were having, either blended smooth when she was first eating or getting slightly lumpier as she got older. She never had yoghurt that was smooth, I always gave her lumpy. The earlier they get used to strong flavours and textures the better.

Another tip is to only pay using cash and not use any cards whatsoever, its amazing what you will put back on the shelf if you dont have the cash in hand to pay for it.

People seem to be afraid to "go without" these days. There is nothing wrong with going without. When my OH and I bought our first house we had to go without a car for the first year and a half and no holidays for 3 years, we only bought items which were half price, bogof, bought own brands, etc and then when we sold our house we had £15,000 negative equity, so we had to "go without" holidays anywhere for 4 years till we were back on our feet.

Life is getting harder and more expensive, holidays will go by the wayside, new cars, expensive toys and clothes. I think people are starting to realise that they cant have it all, after all :|

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OKay, I've got to ask........am I the only person that doesn't actually find Aldi or Lidl that much cheaper? Mainly because I don't see the offers on there, that I see elsewhere? Or possibly as I don't buy fruit and veg there, as we grow a lot ourselves?

I guess on a direct comparison some unbranded or own brand stuff may be cheaper there. For example I think unbranded Ketchup was quite cheap, but a/ I like my Heinz....which wasn't that cheap, and b/ Heinz is still cheaper per 100ml at Somerfields's if you buy a big bottle or even better on one of their frequent special offers. My friend suggested Lidl nappies as a great money saver, but when I checked them out, I could buy Tesco's own cheaper if I bought in bulk...and found them far better nappies for 'dryness', so they didn't need changing as often either.

I just couldn't help get the feeling that people just thought it was cheaper there so thats why they went there.

Not trying to argue here....but just wondered if anyone else was finding the same as me? Or am I missing something?

And why such small packing bays at the checkouts (where the goods go once they're scanned) that drives me mad too! The last time I was there the woman in front of me was running backwards and forwards trying to unload her trolley and pack at the same time - it took 3 times as long as the local Asda or Tesco just for that reason!

I am with Marlise on the "go hungry" part, well all of it really but especially that bit. I have NEVER EVER pandered to my daughters fads about food, eat or go hungry - she always eats. The same with her friends to come to our house for tea, they know I dont pander so they eat, their mothers cannot believe that they will eat fishcakes, mince or vegetable lasagne at my house but not at home.

Another tip is to only pay using cash and not use any cards whatsoever, its amazing what you will put back on the shelf if you dont have the cash in hand to pay for it.

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Trish, I so agree with you :lol:

I really don't mean to step on anybody's toes here, but I would never stand and cook 3 different meals because my kids or husband or both won't eat this that or the other and I need to cater for them because they are full of sh*t (sorry !).

If you are a veggie and I'm a meat eater, fair enough, but beyond that, no way !!

You are also right about the paying with cash thing. When you have to pay in cash, you certainly do think twice about what you are buying.

I'm trying to do this now instead of paying by card (maestro). I only have £10 left for the week before pay day, so I will be even more frugile this week.

Marlise

People seem to be afraid to "go without" these days. There is nothing wrong with going without.

This is SO true.

Sometimes my kids will ask for things and maybe I have the money, but I don't always give in.

In my opinion, children need to understand the concept that everything has a value, and nothing is free. They learn to appreciate things when they save and I can't see anything detrimental to them grasping the notion that they need to earn their spending money.

I have debates with friends any family members on this subject, sometimes it can get quite heated.

My kids have a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and clothes on their backs. They are doing quite alright, trust me. But when it comes to the latest trends and 'must have toys', they have to save. They are not the kids in the front of the line ups on the day that a brand new video game hits the store shelves.

Budgeting and saving are important facts of grown up lives-I've chosen to teach my kids that right from birth.

You learn, pretty quick, which items you need, and which ones are just frivolous.

Just my 2 cents worth.

This is SO true.

Sometimes my kids will ask for things and maybe I have the money, but I don't always give in.

In my opinion, children need to understand the concept that everything has a value, and nothing is free. They learn to appreciate things when they save and I can't see anything detrimental to them grasping the notion that they need to earn their spending money.

I have debates with friends any family members on this subject, sometimes it can get quite heated.

My kids have a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and clothes on their backs. They are doing quite alright, trust me. But when it comes to the latest trends and 'must have toys', they have to save. They are not the kids in the front of the line ups on the day that a brand new video game hits the store shelves.

Budgeting and saving are important facts of grown up lives-I've chosen to teach my kids that right from birth.

You learn, pretty quick, which items you need, and which ones are just frivolous.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hear, hear !

M.

I'm putting my hand up and admitting to sometimes having to cook 3 separate meals. I dont eat red meat, my hub eats all meat, my son doesn't like spicy food.
So sometimes I cook a mince dish, put some into another pan and add spices to it and then make my vegi or white meat version.

I'm putting my hand up and admitting to sometimes having to cook 3 separate meals. I dont eat red meat, my hub eats all meat, my son doesn't like spicy food.
So sometimes I cook a mince dish, put some into another pan and add spices to it and then make my vegi or white meat version.

I tell you what, your family should be very happy that they've got you as a wife and mother as if I had to cook for them, I think they would be very hungry :lol:

I tell you what, your family should be very happy that they've got you as a wife and mother as if I had to cook for them, I think they would be very hungry :lol:
today was one of those days!
I had quorn sausages, mash and gravy with peas
son had beans, bacon and toast
hub is making his own but I did him some potatoes ready.

off to see sex and the city

Im the same Ann, my kids are picky beyond, and what they do eat they eat very little of! Hubby is a meat and spuds sorta guy and the kids cant really stand meat or spuds! They are quite healthy, pasta, salads etc, whereas he is...........um............not! Everyday he has a day off he cooks himself a fry up, its ridiculous!

Anyway, to overcome this cooking 3 seperate meal thing, I do as I said earlier in this thread, whip up a larger batch of everything and freeze into portions, so if Im stuck or running late (which I usually am) I can just defrost it and voila!

I'm so glad you said that! I'm the same too. I don't eat meat and my hubby does. And my little boy's allergic to wheat/gluten/milk/eggs/nuts/peas/beans so I ALWAYS end up cooking at least 2 different versions of the same meal. But it doesn't bother me that much. I'm already in the kitchen already, it's not that much harder to stir 2 pans instead of 1. Thankfully I have a dishwasher though! Otherwise I might be singing a different tune :)

whenever I go shopping I tend to go at the end of the day....sometimes you get LOADS of bargains because they are putting loads of stuff out and reducing them cos they're on their last day....for example...i went to sainsbury's the other day near the end of the day and I got loads of stuff....i spent £12 and got £40 worth!

Some people may look down their nose at this (like my boyfriend who tends to hoover around in the background and pretend he doesn't know me! haha) but i don't think there's anything wrong with it...why pay over a quid for a loaf when you can often get the same one for 10p...just cos its on its last sell by date...you can get loads of stuff to just bung in the freezer....which leads me to my next money saver....buy a massive freezer! (infact did anyone watch that programme the other night about sell by dates on food???)

The more feezer space you have...the more you can freeze....I live in a vilage so often end up down the local convience store...which is expensive! If i had more freezer space i'd buy more bread and bargains to freeze...oh and i'd freeze more left overs...i.e the stuff you make far too much of and end up putting in the dog or the bin!

And with regards to loo roll (as someone previously mentioned)....I would only buy the 'good' brands..like andrex BUT like yourself i do get annoyed with the price of it..especially as we sometimes get through 2 rolls a day!

Why do we pay so much for stuff we wipe our ass on and flush away! lol I decided to start trying out cheaper brands ( which if im totaly honest...one reason i wouldnt buy cheap roll is cos i can be a bit snobby about things sometimes and worry what people will think..stupid i know) so now I have discovered that the morrisons value pack of loo roll is absolutely fine....12 rolls is about £1.12...it just about lasts the week...and iv'e actually realised that i am starting to prefer cheaper brands to the expensive ones...i find the expensive ones are too thick (they block your loo!) and theyre too smooth and slippy hahahaha sorry sorry sorry! lol

oh and i usually buy my washing powder from big w...they sell big huge ones...about £16...which is much cheaper than keep buying them little ones...that only last a couple of days in my house!

I am a meanie...i refuse to make 3-4 different meals. What we do is have a "take turns" thing....so some days they might get there favourite...and other days they wont.

So tonight is my turn and I fancy pork chops, mash and veg...the kids wont be too chuffed but they get over it....tomorrow its Ambers night so I will have to suffer pizza and chips...:lol:

At least this way they get a balanced diet, have to try new things and still get there favourites when its their turn.

I am a meanie...i refuse to make 3-4 different meals. What we do is have a "take turns" thing....so some days they might get there favourite...and other days they wont.

So tonight is my turn and I fancy pork chops, mash and veg...the kids wont be too chuffed but they get over it....tomorrow its Ambers night so I will have to suffer pizza and chips...:lol:

At least this way they get a balanced diet, have to try new things and still get there favourites when its their turn.

I agree...i refuse to make different meals...i have a 'like it or lump it' rule in my house! lol luckily none of us are fussy....my son doesn't like mushrooms....tough...he gets them anyway lol and my boyfriend cant stand dumplings and sweetcorn!

i have just come across this thread so thought i would contribute.
I have a fabbo recipe from my mum'm mum mum.....or whatever, lol.
I think it is call stovies......all my family is scottish!!

fry and onion with some sausages (chopped up into chunks) and brown them off.
Add a diced large potato then add a bag of pre chopped carrot and swede from the supermarket...or chop it yourself if u are safe with a knife, lol. Add a cup of water and cover....boil until the water is absorbed and the veg is cooked.
Add a large tin of baked beans and give a good stir and heat through, and serve with crusty bread and loads of butter....yum!!!
Add plenty of black pepper if you like it.
My kids absolutly love this and it is cheap and healthy. So dont knock it til you tried it....LOL!!!!

i have just come across this thread so thought i would contribute.
I have a fabbo recipe from my mum'm mum mum.....or whatever, lol.
I think it is call stovies......all my family is scottish!!

fry and onion with some sausages (chopped up into chunks) and brown them off.
Add a diced large potato then add a bag of pre chopped carrot and swede from the supermarket...or chop it yourself if u are safe with a knife, lol. Add a cup of water and cover....boil until the water is absorbed and the veg is cooked.
Add a large tin of baked beans and give a good stir and heat through, and serve with crusty bread and loads of butter....yum!!!
Add plenty of black pepper if you like it.
My kids absolutly love this and it is cheap and healthy. So dont knock it til you tried it....LOL!!!!

omg that sounds soooo nice mmm...i think i might have all them ingredients! yoooo beeeauteee lol im off to the freezer shortly....think i might try that for tea tonight! thanks!

That is a sort of Stovies, but you can make it with left over meat too - lamb, chicken (and bacon mmmmmmmm) and beef, or its great with left over haggis, extra mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Just add the meat at the end to heat it through. I add stock rather than plain water.

I think the recipe varies from place to place - my mother-in-laws only has spuds and onion and she only ever makes hers with lamb, but she does use stock and loads of pepper and we have it with oatcakes.

I tend to make it on a monday with leftover roast and veg from a sunday - never put beans in it before though, think I will try that.

:)

LOL....after talking about it guess what we are having for dinner tonight!!!??
let me know if you like it!!!
Its all i have ever known as stovies trish....i didnt known it had any variations...might have to try them...i just thought it was something my mum had made up!!
xx

Latest posts

Back