Things people from other areas don't understand!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've literally JUST said this so had to post..'I'm starvin like marvin' my grandad and mum say this a lot that's probably where I picked it up! Not sure who exactly marvin is and why he's so hungry..

I say hank main for starvin. And clempt is another work for bein hungry.

Another is calling someone nacked.... As in they're ugly, or awful.

you know some one who never does a job properly well we'd say they throw everything behind their arse or turn their arse to everything

if you hadn't a hope of doing or getting something we'd say you wouldn't get within an asses roar of it.

I met an American lass once who didn't realise tuppence was real. She thought it was a funny word for money lol! x

I say p for money p as in pound or paper, can be confusing when I say to my mum 'got 10 p' and she gives me a 10p coin! Lolll

Are you from Liverpool by chance? Lol

I struggle real bad being a Northerner in Norfolk some of their words are.mental -footpath instead of pavement, people not dressed.smartly are called scrits, they have boot lakes abd compooters too hehe xx

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

No, Mancunian! ;)

Im from Durham (near Newcastle) so have a lot of the geordie slang.

"whyaye" means yes, of course.
"going for a mooch" means going for a walk
"getting wrong" means getting told off
"clamming" means very hungry.
"lets have some scran" means lets have some food.
"shaan" or "shocking" means wrong/deceitful/sly
"tashing on" means kissing

Theres loads more but i cant think right now lol

I am from Edinburgh and spent a lot of my twenties living down south.

If I would say to a friend or one of my hubbies family:

"chum me up the road" they would look at my like I was a mad person, it means go with me to "wherever" we were going

Love this thread, so funny . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I used to love the Aussie words whilst I was there a few years back....

Thongs = flip flops
Singlet = vest
Vest = waistcoat
Swimmers = bikini/bathing suit/shorts
Oh god there was loads and I can't remember them now lol

Any Aussies in here wanna add? :D

I used to love the Aussie words whilst I was there a few years back....

Thongs = flip flops
Singlet = vest
Vest = waistcoat
Swimmers = bikini/bathing suit/shorts
Oh god there was loads and I can't remember them now lol

Any Aussies in here wanna add? :D

Most of ours are probably too rude to include here, lol. Can't think of any that don't include swearing.

Here's one - Shazza and Dazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas

Bairns is children or we also say weans.... Like wee ones
I hate going places and asking for a roll n square n they're like you mean a sausage butty? NOOOOO A ROLL N SQUARE not links

Btw what does every one call spring onions
I had a hard time in an Irish deli once while asking the girl for Scibies n she was saying scallions

Haha yes we call them scallions, always confuses people.
Children are weans, 'aye' for yes... the Scottish and N. Irish terms are very similar
xx

Haha my mum calls silly people, 'stew pots' and says they're daft as a brush lol
Also if someone's 'face is tripping them' or they've a 'sour bake' they look upset or angry
'Scunnered' means you're really fed up

Does anywhere else say the word goon? Meaning geek / light insult

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

yeah used that one for donkeys

I don't use any colloquialisms at all (or at least I don't think i do!) and neither do most people that I know so I'm finding this thread really funny, but quite confusing at the same time!

I do often hear things here in Liverpool and think I have no idea what those people are saying...!

The other Ozzie terms I can think of are
Eski-cooler
Douner- bed cover (think I spelt that wrong)
Root-sex
That's all I can think of for now.

a real miserable looking moan we would say - the face on them would sour milk.

Haha I've loved reading these!

My dad quite often says:
"Shall we go and 'ave a mooch around town?" and "Back in a mojo I'm off for a tom tit". I'm one for saying "Corr I'm marvin'" and my boyfriend likes "Off for a wazz" (which I hate). Oh, and when referring to money it's "pennies" for me :)

I'm originally from Dover but I am by no means offended... the majority come across as rather scuzzy!!

I regularly get told "I speak posh" which irks me because I just pronounce things properly lol I get the mickey taken out of me :(

xx

I've got a scouse dad , northern mum and a welsh oh so I have heard most things !! Lol x

Latest posts

Back