Things people from other areas don't understand!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinky

Reaction score
I went away a few weeks ago and we went to a chippy on one of the days there. I asked for chips, pea wet and gravy and the lady looked at me like I'd just landed! She didn't have a clue what pea wet was. It's the wet off the peas! I don't like peas, but I love the wet. I'm a northerner btw.
Another was a barm, me and a client were talking about food, and she's from Essex. When I said a barm she didn't know what it could possibly be. In her world it's a bap or a roll.

So what in your area do you have/say that 20 miles away might be like talking in a foreign language.

I only recently found out what a savaloy (sp) was!

Last edited:
Nope, your sayings are double Dutch to me too :) I can't think if any at the mo but maybe 'cwtch' (cuddle)? I'm not sure if non welshies know the saying?

I get stuff like this all the time im from dundee and we do clearly have our own language lol we have a word for pretty much everything thats diff from the actual word x

pea wet?! pahaha thats hillarious!!! i suppose its common sense what it is, but i'd have to ask to make sure, i've never heard of someone having pea juice though :lol:

pea wet?! pahaha thats hillarious!!! i suppose its common sense what it is, but i'd have to ask to make sure, i've never heard of someone having pea juice though :lol:

Try it, seriously it's something else. Ha.

Try it, seriously it's something else. Ha.

i'm actually going to! i'm going on holiday to cornwall for first week of easter and i'm going to get some fish and chips and say 'this may sound wierd but someone from up north said i need to try pea wet!' :lol:

Nope, your sayings are double Dutch to me too :) I can't think if any at the mo but maybe 'cwtch' (cuddle)? I'm not sure if non welshies know the saying?

recently moved to Wales from Glasgow and i hear this all the time but didnt know what it ment..

we use the word 'piece' (sandwich) alot and ppl look at you as if your daft.

my hubby loves pea juice, never heard of it as pea wet.. dont think i could keep a straight face if ordering tho

my hubby loves pea juice, never heard of it as pea wet.. dont think i could keep a straight face if ordering tho

lol no i think i'd snort and end up spitting everywhere x

we've got a place in wales and its called 'The Cwtch' i only ever knew it as a cuddle but aparently it means little place or something too

lol we get it all the time when you are a yorkshire person living in canada .. its hilarious try saying "it dunt do owt" to a canadian or american and you will see their eyes glaze over its sooo funny
also they cannot understand us when we say a number .. like you give your address starting with number say sixty four .. the person on the end of the phone says sixty five .. they dont understand it unless you pronounce it sixty fourrrrrr and roll the r , lol crazy

Ha ha! I'm a northerner too living down south and I find people never understand what I'm on about! A 'Barm' or a 'Muffin' usually totally confuses people as they call them rolls, and say a muffin is a cake! Ha ha!

Two of my favourites are;

Housecoat (dressing gown to those who don't understand)

and

Ginnel (northern dialect for passageway between two houses) - police once had no idea what I was on about! ;)

I get this a lot my BF lives in Stoke so I get laughed at loads because I'm from Yorkshire.

I say "bread cake" and get told its a bun or a roll but a bun to me is like a cupcake.
If you ask for "scraps" on your fish and chips
I also get laughed at for saying "I'm going to shops" rather than I'm going to the shops.

Theres loads more that I can't think off at the moment

recently moved to Wales from Glasgow and i hear this all the time but didnt know what it ment..

we use the word 'piece' (sandwich) alot and ppl look at you as if your daft.

Yeah a peice. And ginger. (juice).

Lavender why we're you explaining a ginnel to the police. Haha.

It's house jacket from my ends, same though.

And my nan used to call the hill to walk down to Tesco, the 'merton' or the brew.

And I once told someone I was frickerned dearth. Frightened to death. I love local things and sayings.

I also ask for scraps. Bloody love scraps!

I used to live in Lincolnshire and a local insult was calling someone a 'Scratter'! It meant a really rough person who walks around picking things off the floor like cigarette butts or pennies! Or takes things out of bins!

Im from Yorkshire & always call a bread cake or barm a tea cake! I thought this is what everyone called them? Lolx

Ooooh scraps! As in the scraps of fried batter in a chippie? Love scraps!
I'm from all over so I have picked up all sorts of words.
Also when I was in the Navy we had words for EVERYTHING! Lol.

I'm from Yorkshire to, I find if u go to chippy and ask for a fishcake they give you a rissole! But i no a fishcake to be a fish cake in batter! One in bread crumbs is a rissole

And also breadcakes to me is breadcakes but if I go to Barnsley it's tea cakes or barm cakes :S tea cake to me is with currents in!
God there's loads :/ , maybe cos I'm a Sheffielder? Who knows lol x

My mum and dad used to have a chippy and we used to get asked for all sorts ! Tea cake aka bread cake, barm, bread bun !! Fishcakes aka pattties or parsley cake, scraps also get called bits! Who knew good old fish and chips could be so complicated!

Other favourites - gypsy toast (French toast) spice (sweets) snap or packing (packed lunch) mourngy (sulky)

Latest posts

Back