Things people from other areas don't understand!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked nights with a scottish girl who asked me if I wanted one of her pieces. I had no idea what she was talking about. She also said she'd gone out for some messages, turns out she'd been shopping!!

Met two girls from Newcastle on holiday who wanted to "tap off" with those blokes over there.....

Ey up tater is a favourite of our northern friends but the best one of all has to be a question asked by Edouard, a spanish friend of ours who was learning to speak english. I think we confused the poor bugger by buying him a book of rhyming slang and Rogers Profanisaurus. One day he said to my OH (in his very spanish accent) "what is this english word wonkere?" Mr Unas did the universal sign language and he said "aaaaah, I see"

I worked nights with a scottish girl who asked me if I wanted one of her pieces. I had no idea what she was talking about. She also said she'd gone out for some messages, turns out she'd been shopping!!

Met two girls from Newcastle on holiday who wanted to "tap off" with those blokes over there.....

Ey up tater is a favourite of our northern friends but the best one of all has to be a question asked by Edouard, a spanish friend of ours who was learning to speak english. I think we confused the poor bugger by buying him a book of rhyming slang and Rogers Profanisaurus. One day he said to my OH (in his very spanish accent) "what is this english word wonkere?" Mr Unas did the universal sign language and he said "aaaaah, I see"

Lol Unas do want one of my pieces? :) xx

Piece & square slice with cheese & brown sauce :) xx

Slather your piece in salad cream and I'll have a nibble....

Slather your piece in salad cream and I'll have a nibble....

All I read was this and none of the previous comments and lets just say I was disturbed! Lol.

Carsie for toilet haha
Shot = broken
Divvy head = idiot
Hooter = nose
Nookie (lol)
Sparks = lighter
Snout = cigarette
Richard the third
A monkey = £500
Squid for a pound coin lol
Winkles - jellied eels
Wet the baby's head - new born drink up
Steaming/ battered/plastered/mullered/pissed/smashed all mean drunk
Governor - boss
Broth - soup
Munch/nom - eat
Unit/gaff/digs/yard - home

Those are all from my OH lol x

Another thing which is a huge chip shop barrier is what they offer you depending if you're in Glasgow or Edinburgh
Glasgow is salt n vinegar and Edinburgh offerbu salt and this horrid brown watery sauce

If I ask for red sauce they look like I've sh*t in their shop lol

Lol!!!! I never see ketchup in any scottish chip shops thats so true eh?

Re brown sauce- its got vinegar in! Thats what they offer lol. I am a salt n vinegar girl :)

Does anybody else have a ridiculous amount of words for certain parts of the, ahem....human anatomy?

I won't be listing them for obvious reasons! I don't want to get banned from the site! Lol.

This thread has really made me LOL

I lived in South Africa when I was little & moved to Lancashire on our return. I used to come out with things like:
Tackies - trainers
Narchies - tangerines and of course NO-ONE had a clue what I was on about.

Got used to say Lancashire phrases so have taken a trip down memory lane with scraps & ginnels.

When I was 13 I moved to Suffoilk & again nobody knew what I was on about. I do remember adding 'like' to the end of most sentences...Ace doss & spuggy (chewing gum) spring to mind, not that I've said those for many years!

A Suffolk phrase I seem to have picked up is 'on the huh' which not so many people know about, lol

Just remembered another one - Ex hubby is half Maltese but lived in America for a while when he was younger. One of the things he comes out with is Boo-boo which I now say, lol.
Boo-boo is sore patch, cut, bruise etc

We call someone's house a ken, as in kennel. Lord knows why!

We share many scouse words on the Wirral, boss/sound - good, arlarse - mean/snidy, when I'm going over to Liverpool I always say I'm going through the pipe (tunnel) there's loads more but can't think of any at the moment lol

all this talk of fish n chips is making me jealous thats a big problem living in portugal no chippies and i remembered going in a cafe hear asking for an egg roll, the girl started laughing i had used the wrong word and asked for a bull**k roll. with that i crawled out the door and died lol

Sent from my GT-I9001 using SalonGeek

I'm from Dublin so we have loads of little sayings. Like when you see someone in the street
Howiya: hi how are you?
What's the story: what are you doing?
Any craic?: any news?

Then there's
They were wearin the heads of each other: two people were kissing
Knackered: really tired
Mulchies: people from the country side
Rockers: Goths
Young one: young girl
Young fella: young boy
Aul one: woman/ mother
Aul fella: man/father
It's bet on: something's really tight

I could do with a translator for Rastamouse! Lol

I can help. Grew up in a predominately black area so I understand it well.

Also my best friend is Jamaican descent.

Irie Man!

Now I live in Chester, my mother in law says some weird stuff:

Yay = You, not an expression of assent or glee

Batch = Roll, not a collection of items

Brew = Tea, not beer, lager or ale

On Pins = Nervous, not laying on a bed of nails

Seen my arse = Got angry, not spun round to check her butt out

Babby = Baby, but spelt wrong!

Bokbok = Botbot from Bottle. Sorry, I don't know what a Bokkle is!

And so it goes...

I've heard people saying:

Scran = Eat food
Cob on = Bad mood

WTF???

Skip Rat = Tramp. Fair enough.

I miss London :-(

I've always used Dinlow for a div

Div = Thicko chav type

I said 'tonk' to someone in a sentence yesterday. Used to describe a big and muscly guy. Thought I was making it up!

Latest posts

Back