Thinking of swapping Shellac for Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to having 10 million colors for your clients to pick from please try to rember the pareto principle ! 80/20
I wish I had lol!

For a long time i tried to keep up I bought every color in every collection of both shellac and gelish and I can honestly say that was not business smarts lol
Many have been used just for color pops , while other bottles have been replaced time and time again !

Neons and magneto are some of the ones used once , so are alot of blues! and surprisingly the glitters never proved as popular ,

While all colors wear always avalible equally to vuie on color wheeles on my desk at every appointment for each client,

I don't know where you get off speaking to people like crap Gigi! You are rude and obnoxious. Many people on here love you for what reason I do not know. You talk down to people and make them feel stupid. I asked a simple question.In return I get "what's your problem".

I did not ask if shellac was a gel!!

And I did not answer youby saying simply Shellac is not a gel. I went further and answered the rest of your question, does shellac contain GEL?

Not once have I been rude or obnoxious, (not as rude or obnoxious as you have just been to me) unless you choose to see it that way (and it seems you do).

I have not talked down to you nor tried to make you look stupid ... I answered your simple (guess it really isn't so very simple) question at least 3 times. As I say, I do not know what your problem is with my answer! So I guess the next question is your definition of a gel?

Last edited:
nails 3

i would just like to say i do not think Gigi is rude and obnoxious as you put it but to the point and not beating about the bush! from what i have read your question was not just answered but actually explained and reasoned. If you took offence i am sure it is just the way that you read it as has been said before we cannot put emotions etc into typing.

as i read it Gigi was saying that not only is Shellac not a gel but in case anyone chose to exploit any terminology that it was also not a product made from gel with other ingredients in it.

i do hope that this is clarity enough for you.

All professionals on here and Gigi being just one of them give up their time to answer questions to the best of our abilities, to then slate any of us is in my opinion sacrilege and without a doubt uncalled for and unnesecary. xxx

I think confusion has been caused over the years because of posts like this:
IF YOU READ THE LINKS I SENT YOU .. IT IS NOT AN OVERLAY PRODUCT (sorry did not mean to shout) although it does have quite allot more strength than the coloured gels ... it is a UV colour coat system that is a true hybrid of gel and polish. You would offer it as well not instead of.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/120044-shellac.html

To most of us the term "hybrid" means a mix of existing components/products to make a new one. The fact that Shellac used to be termed "Hybrid" but now is only referred to as "Power Polish" certainly confuses me, I don't know when and why it changed.

[despite what some may tell you they do with gel .. the ones who say they don't buff (if they are being honest) they are usually applying to tired, damaged, ex- ehhancement clients whose nails are already dry and probably rough (many gel users have confirmed this point to me) whereas, we Shallackers tend to apply Shellac to clients who already have beautiful natural nails and who want th3em to stay that way and do not want the surface touched by file or buffer. and we do not need to. NOR do I need to retail them some new product to re-vitalize their nails after using it!

I have no reason to be dishonest about buffing :lol: I just don't do it. Most of my clients are natural nail clients with beautiful natural nails which they keep! I would not apply Gelish to ex-enhancement clients with "tired, damaged" nails, I would apply a gel of fibreglass overlay until the damage grew out.

I think you are possibly hinting at VitaGel. It is not being marketed as a product to repair nails damaged by Gelish and it is not in fact a retail product as far as I am aware.

I think people are just asking if Shellac has any gel in or not. Personally, I cannot define what I mean chemically by "gel". I use my products as trained and as directed by manufacturers. I am a nail technician not a chemist. Likewise, I know my car takes petrol but I don't know the chemical properties, I drive it legally and safely but don't know how the engine works.

If the OP is being asked by name for Gelish then I do not see the problem in her running both Gelish and Shellac along side each other to keep her clients happy.

Peace and love everybody :hug:

If you were being fair @jucylucy , you would have mentioned that CND dropped the word Hybrid years ago because we were told by the pòwers that be that we could not use it as it didn't apply ... others adopted it and we realized it was not only a confusing way to describe the product, but people misinterpreted the meaning. SO ..... we used the term Power Polish as it better described what Shellac is and was less confusing (we hoped). An honest explanation of the product now seems to be used by others to confuse the market even more.

For we Skellackers there is no confusion; Shellac is a Power Polish not a gel. It is a UV cured Polish and CND are very clear about that. The only thing it has in common with Gel is that it cures with UV light.

There are many things that cure with UV light that are not Gel ... some adhesives in wrap systems do so as well and they are not gel, they are UV cured resin.

To spend the time to find a post I made years ago ( in 2010 when following CND infomation) which was then changed for better clarity (and then not explaining it) is unfair to say the least. Why would you do that? And why would you force me to defend that comment?

Someone told me today that shellac is made of crushed beetles this is not the case is it??? 😁

Someone told me today that shellac is made of crushed beetles this is not the case is it??? ��
that would be the furniture lacker , NOT the nail product :)

as for the shellac and gel thing well ..... diamonds and coal have a LOT in common ..... you wont see me wearing a coal ring tho ;)

Someone told me today that shellac is made of crushed beetles this is not the case is it??? ��

lol

The original name shellac was for a hard shiny indestructible varnish for wood. My dad used to use it on furniture and on the woodwork on his boat. I believe the original was made from beetle 'something'. LOL

CND merely used the name because in the USA anyway, THE WORD SHELLAC denotes a strong indestructible shiny coat of protection. NO beetles in it. lol

Thanks Geeg that's what I told her but she was adamant that she had read it somewhere! Lol gotta love clients

Gotta love shellac I have done 5 today and 6 yesterday feeling a little shellacked out but love it !!!!!

Shellac is amazing!

As I've said before, this is where it gets interesting. Gelish says you can, Shellac says you can't. Which is right? I've used Shellac color with Gelish base and top on myself and it works fine (w/CND UV lamp only) - it's consistent with one manufacturer's instructions, but at odds with another. Intermixing is another one of those hot issues (like the lamp issue) that manufacturers and techs will be navigating over the next couple of years.

If when talking about mixing Shellac CND say no the who is right ? no brainer to me it would be CND why ? cos they know more about Shellac than Harmony would know about Shellac IMO....

What I don't understand as you so nicely put it is that you have stated that shellac isn't a gel, and isn't a gel with other stuff dumped into it which I presume you are talking about gel polishes, but you haven't confirmed that shellac has no form of gel in it what so ever. I'm not asking whether shellac is a gel polish I am asking whether shellac contains any gel at all.

I know the speel about shellac being one and only and all that, but there is confusing information on here regarding shellac. Some people say it contains no gel at all and some say it does. So does it contain any trace of gel or does it not?

(green) Here we are mostly the techs that use the porducts sharing what we have seen and learned some may be spot on , while other might be product gossip ,
If you are hungry for facts go to the horse , ask CND in an E-mail , tweet , call, or facebook and then share the facts with us all :) CND are a very siance based companie they love to enpower the techs that use there products with product education , and SCIENCE.

(pink) What is a gel ?
hair gel ? shampoo , tooth paste , jelly maybe even condenced milk could be considered gels with there viscosity ,
so with that in mind what to you is a UV gel ?

I'm sure shellac is a great product because so many of you rave about it and I know gelish is because i use it. They are both great for nails and for our businesses. We are all different thank god and we all have different preferences. There is room for both and competition is good. It keeps us trying to be better.

If you were being fair @jucylucy , you would have mentioned that CND dropped the word Hybrid years ago because we were told by the pòwers that be that we could not use it as it didn't apply ... others adopted it and we realized it was not only a confusing way to describe the product, but people misinterpreted the meaning. SO ..... we used the term Power Polish as it better described what Shellac is and was less confusing (we hoped). An honest explanation of the product now seems to be used by others to confuse the market even more.

To spend the time to find a post I made years ago ( in 2010 when following CND infomation) which was then changed for better clarity (and then not explaining it) is unfair to say the least. Why would you do that? And why would you force me to defend that comment?

I think I was being fair. I was asking why (because I don't remember) the "Hybrid" term was dropped. Nothing more.

I don't think I was forcing you to defend any comment. I was saying that those of us with a history in the industry have become confused because we remember what was said in the past.

Honestly, I think we should all use whatever works best for us. In the end I am pretty sure my clients do not care if a product contains a gel or not. They just want beautiful nails, that last between appointments, keep their own nails strong and do not cause damage :hug:

Look folks, it was not my intention to start a fight or to diminish anyone's regard for Shellac or Gelish for that matter. I use them both. I was trying to include Shellac in the product category.

Whether or not Shellac contains gel or is a gel does not change the fact that is was/is a ground-breaking product. My point was simply that there is a difference between marketing terminology "power polish" and scientific terminology. That does not mean that market terminology is meaningless - the term power polish does convey an certain image. It's just that it isn't based in the science - power polish has no scientific meaning. UV gel polishes are generally regarded as containing urethane oligomers, crosslinked polymeric acrylic resins and photinitiators activated by UV rays. All of the gel polishes, including Shellac contain this, so Shellac is a gel polish - a hybrid gel polish. It is my understanding that Shellac is 25% solvents which 100% gel polishes don't have. In looking at this category of product, they exist on a spectrum from regular nail polish to 100% gel polish. P2, Gelac, Shellac, LeChat are/were closer to the polish end, and Gelish, Just Gel, OPI and others are at the gel end. So it is different from others, but still in the same product category - gel polish. The technology in these products is quite amazing and it is likely that there will be a lot more advancements in this category, advancements that are likely to change our businesses as much as the introduction of gel polishes has.

BTW, that video was not the interview with Jan Arnold I was referring to. You'll note that she refers to the "performance like a gel" not ingredients like a gel. I think that is a critical difference. I will try to find the interview I saw.

Last edited:
A secrets of CND class will give you so many color options it's amazing! With the additives you have endless possibilities and I do not feel the need to add another line. Education is minimal to the cost of another line. I believe if you as a professional believe in a product your clients will also.

I love Shellac, I use it regularly, but I dont think its unreasonable of anyone to want to know exactly what Shellac is, because the term "power polish" is a marketing term not a scientific one. I must admit this is a subject I have given some thought to but was loath to start a thread about it because I didnt want to start a debate that got out of hand :lol:

Previous posters are right - it all depends on your definition of a gel. My own interpretation of this is that "gel" is not a scientific description either. The terms gel and l&p refer to acrylate based products, and the terms gel or l&p simply refer to the consitency of the product before it is applied to the nail. So, by this definition, if Shellac contains acrylates which cure under the UV lamp then I would say that Shellac is a gel polish. If its not acrylate based then no its not, its a UV cured polish, athough if the latter is the case I would still be interested to know what the active ingredient in Shellac is.

nails 3

i would just like to say i do not think Gigi is rude and obnoxious as you put it but to the point and not beating about the bush! from what i have read your question was not just answered but actually explained and reasoned. If you took offence i am sure it is just the way that you read it as has been said before we cannot put emotions etc into typing.

as i read it Gigi was saying that not only is Shellac not a gel but in case anyone chose to exploit any terminology that it was also not a product made from gel with other ingredients in it.

i do hope that this is clarity enough for you.

All professionals on here and Gigi being just one of them give up their time to answer questions to the best of our abilities, to then slate any of us is in my opinion sacrilege and without a doubt uncalled for and unnesecary. xxx

She was rude and that's the way it come across on the posts also.I will defend myself.

Why is it that as soon as someone says anything about Gigi there is always someone on here to defend her. There has been many a time when she has been rude to others but she seems to get away with it. I wonder why?

I asked a question. Whether shellac contained any gel in for the question to be avoided. A simple no or yes would of sufficed. The question was not answered. All Gigi said was that it was not like other products. She did not confirm that shellac contained no gel what so ever, there are many that have said that shellac contains gel. It is a gel polish as others have posted before me. Can anyone explain those??

Also for the record, I have not slated any one including you souz so I'm not sure where you last part has came from. If the questions I asked were answered to best of her ability then yes I would understand, but asking some one - what's your problem, what dont you understand is rude and is uncalled for!!!

Not at the moment but I personally hate the neon look and have never even had those colours in the salon. MY clients are regulars, not teenaged tourists and would never wear neon in a million years. I accept that a different clientele may want something different.

I can certainly get a bright enough eye popping blue, orange and acid green out of the additives if I was asked for it .. As for glow in the dark neon ... No thanks.

Mine aren't "teenaged tourists" either thank you very much! Neon is a popular trend in the summer months whether you or I personally like it is neither here or there really.

I don't use shellac or gelish but if I had plenty money I would invest in both for different reasons.
Neon colours are very popular just now and I don't have any "teenage tourists" either! Lol!
I've found this an interesting thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back