Time off after Gallbladder op!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachael204

Reaction score
Has anyone had their surgery and a tale to tell or advice please?!

I am finally getting my gallbladder out on the 7th June and am wondering how long I should book myself off work for?!

They are planning the less invasive camera surgery route so I am hoping it will only be a week or so.

I don't want to lose too much business but am very wary of coming back to work too soon, making myself ill or upsetting clients if I have to cancel their appointments. But then as I am self employed if I don't work I don't earn!!

Help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I had my gallbladder out with keyhole surgery in February.... Best thing I ever done the stones and the pain was unbearable!!

I was off work for one week. The pain from the op isint to bad actually and recover time is quite quick. Just make sure you have someone around to help you the first week and really rest, just get you pillows and duvet and lay on the sofa!! Second week I felt fine to return to work but still had to be a bit careful of streching, lifting or just moving body a bit quick.

But honestly, the op really isint that bad, I went in at 8am and was out the same day at 2.30pm!! Hope it all goes well for you xxx

hi hun firstly .. you will be better having the bloomin thing out !! :green:as for time off i would play it by ear i had mine done over 2 yrs ago
i am sure after a couple of weeks you will be fine but just make it known to clients you will have to take it easy it is still a major op even if it is done with a camera
i wont go into details of mine coz my removal was more complexed but i know most are back to work after a couple of weeks , good luck xxx

thanks for your reply!

I can't wait to get it done - was sick with the pain again this evening outside the cinema! Horrid, it is the worst pain I have ever experienced and there is no warning half the time :(

I will definitely book the week off then - just glad I don't offer massage as that would definitely be out for a while!

xx

Oh gosh this brings back memories:rolleyes: I had mine done 3 years ago.The stones were killing me,every time they flared up,I'd go to A&E and they would give me Gaviscon saying it was heartburn and send me home,seriously:eek: I mean they say the pain from gall stones is worse than child birth!!

This happened over a period of about a year until I'd had enough and refused to leave A&E one night.They took me in for tests and x-ray and realised my pancreas was swollen!!!
Anyway long story short,I stayed in hospital for 2 weeks while the swelling went down and they realised I had 23 stones!!

Had the surgery and came out after a week.The scars are tiny coz I had keyhole surgery.It's nothing to worry about,you'll be fine for work in about a week after your surgery.

Goodluck :hug:

thank you everyone! I feel alot better now!
Just can't wait to get it sorted! xx

no advice to give, but i just wanted to wish you a super speedy recovery! :D x

Good luck with the procedure, you will be absolutely fine!

I had mine out and was told to take two weeks off but really didn't need it. You could go back after a week but just book in manicures, small amounts of waxing (face) eye treatments, things that won't take too long and keep you on your feet.

I'm for the chop on 31st May, gallbladder out. I was told I would stay in overnight and when I asked, was told 2 weeks off work. I do some work at 6th form college and have no shifts planned there for just over the two weeks.

I'm planning NOTHING at all for the first week, but expecting to start doing some sewing and stuff (seamstressing at home is one of my other jobs) in the second week. I'm on standby for a bridesmaid returning from abroad for the wedding, so might have to do a last minute job for her. I'm singing at the wedding so hoping that I'll be fine. I have a driver!

Beautywise, hoping not to do any pedicures, definitely not tackling massage! Will probably try and just do manicures/eyebrow waxing for any 'regular' who asks, but will try and time things so that things are spread out. Several of my regulars are girls that I sing with, so will need/want nails doing for the wedding. Nothing more energetic than Shellac though!

Kids are insured on my car for a fortnight after I"ve had the op, so I shall have a chauffeur!

Good luck with the procedure, you will be absolutely fine!

I had mine out and was told to take two weeks off but really didn't need it. You could go back after a week but just book in manicures, small amounts of waxing (face) eye treatments, things that won't take too long and keep you on your feet.

thank you :) xx

I'm for the chop on 31st May, gallbladder out. I was told I would stay in overnight and when I asked, was told 2 weeks off work. I do some work at 6th form college and have no shifts planned there for just over the two weeks.

I'm planning NOTHING at all for the first week, but expecting to start doing some sewing and stuff (seamstressing at home is one of my other jobs) in the second week. I'm on standby for a bridesmaid returning from abroad for the wedding, so might have to do a last minute job for her. I'm singing at the wedding so hoping that I'll be fine. I have a driver!

Beautywise, hoping not to do any pedicures, definitely not tackling massage! Will probably try and just do manicures/eyebrow waxing for any 'regular' who asks, but will try and time things so that things are spread out. Several of my regulars are girls that I sing with, so will need/want nails doing for the wedding. Nothing more energetic than Shellac though!

Kids are insured on my car for a fortnight after I"ve had the op, so I shall have a chauffeur!

ooh good luck with yours - let me know how you get on!!
I am sticking with just gelish if I can for the second week! My bf doesn't drive so am trapped for 2 weeks! At least we can get the shopping delivered!

xx

hello Rachael, I finally got home at 6pm yesterday after op midday or so on Tuesday. They messed up on my prescriptions so had to wait. It seems they say that you can have 4 weeks off, but the hospital is only allowed to do a sick note for two weeks, after that you get a follow on one from your doctor.

I'm feeling bloated, keep taking the painkillers!

hello Rachael, I finally got home at 6pm yesterday after op midday or so on Tuesday. They messed up on my prescriptions so had to wait. It seems they say that you can have 4 weeks off, but the hospital is only allowed to do a sick note for two weeks, after that you get a follow on one from your doctor.

I'm feeling bloated, keep taking the painkillers!

Glad you are home and ok!! I am off on Tues for mine, got to stay in overnight as my BMI is over the limit for day surgery!
The nurse that did my pre op assessment said she had 3 weeks off - so would I if I could be paid for it!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and keep me posted xx

I am currently recuperating from a gall bladder op. I can't believe how common it is!

I am taking a week off work, it is 6 days since the op and apart from my abs feeling like they have had the biggest workout of their life, I am recovering quickly.
The main thing I have had is tiredness but I did work ridiculously long days leading up to the op and then had 4 hrs sleep before it. This is also my second (major) surgery in just under 10 weeks.
The gas pain is the worse, just keep sucking mints, deep breathing and farting tons! Ha ha.
I have had quite bad bruising, which surprised me, and they stapled the key hole wounds up.
My best advice is to get moving as soon as you can. It disperses the gas, so you can get back to normal quicker.

I am so glad I did this. I am free from pain for the first time in 18 months, no more spontaneous vomiting and in 6 weeks I get to have a completely un-restricted diet. I was living off cup a soups and rice cakes. I will never complain, though, about the 2 stone it has help me shift! :)

I had my keyhole surgery almost 4 years ago. I was advised to take 2 weeks off as although surgery isn't invasive it does muck about with your insides a little lol.

I stupidly went back to work after one week (won't go into details), I then ended up having another week in hospital and a further 10 days off work.

Good luck, it'll be great when the excruciating pain is over for you.

Well, my health is more important to me than any money. I figure if I make a full recovery I'll have better earning potential than if I end up messing clients about because I'm not well.

I'm feeling really bloated still, look as if I'm about to give birth! i worked really hard in the run up to the op, but managed to have a fairly restful 24 hours at home just before, though not much sleep!

I am day 13 of a 15 day straight of working every day - I'm working til 10pm the night before to fit everyone in but at least I won't have time to be nervous!!

Had another attack today and had to miss my friends birthday bbq :(
I will definitely be taking it easy (even if the bf has to confiscate my work phone!) but am not looking forward to the added gas lol!!
roll on tues!! xx

Rachael, Sorry to hear you're struggling.

I took PJ trousers and nightshirt and a pair of joggers to hospital with me.Didn't want the pjs or joggers round my tummy. legs constantly flashed with my nightshirt. When I got home I sent MIL and DS to get me a couple of longish nightdresses. They're so nice they just look like summer dresses if I wear a cardi. Modesty preserved when getting in and out of chair or bed and nothing tight over my wounds and bloated tum!

I have just read with much interest. Recently had scan and found kidney stone, which doesn't cause any problem but also found a gallstone. I have been in severe pain since Tuesday and only found out Thursday its fairly large. I continued to work but not slept a wink. Seen emergency gp today and put on antibiotics for gallbladder infection. Feel c*@p. Gp said prob have to be removed. What joy!

Sent from my HTC Desire

Latest posts

Back