Tips .... do we love them or hate them and why??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I see allot of posts recently from those who say they hate tips?

Is this sculpting snobbery?

Do you see using tips to extend the length of nails as a second class service?

Do you think you are a better technician because you don't use the dreadful tips??

Why do you think tips are dreadful, if you do?

Where did you (if you did) get your hatred of tips?

If you love them, tell us why.

Looking forward to some honest answers.

I do mostly tips, mainly because my skill at scultping is not that good.

I think tips give you more versatility, especially when dealing with mis-shaped nails.

I do believe there is a sculpting snobbery.

I know that sculpting costs less to do but then people feel they can charge more - so be it.

There are arguments that say sculpting is better because you are dealing with a complete keratin bond rather than relying on an adhesive which may break down.

Well, I'll start!

I love tips. Probably a bit too much as I don't sculpt much and am probably losing that skill a bit. I started using Pre-Etched tips (I believe Creative sell something similar) that don't require any extra buffing, and I find them a huge timesaver, very adaptable, and durable. I love how they work with Popits, and how much easier I can do a set on myself as sculpting P&W on my bad hand takes me FOREVER without tips!

Still, sculpting is an important skill that we all need, but I do see it on this board and others I read that some people really look down on us "tip users". I use them because they work for me and my clients are happy so I'll stick with that :)

Good question, Geeg!

I like using tips But only because that's all I've really used before, im not very confident at sculpting yet. But who knows, maybe after a class or 2 with cnd's clare she could convert me?! Id love to be able to sculpt as a lot of people say it cuts down on your timing? X x x
Posted via Mobile Device

I love tips but can sculpt also....I tend to do whatever i am in the mood for or think will be best for the nail.

I love the way you get that immediate shape...you can almost automatically tell what the nail will look like before you have even applied any product.

I love how the nail looks when the tip is fully blended....almost like i just want to keep it like that...:lol:

I love that you can get almost any tip now days to fit any nail shape...although the art pre tailoring comes in pretty hand to get those tips just perfect.

I also think that its cool when you see nails that are tipped/sculpted and cant tell the difference.

Well I am rubbish at sculpting so I need tips rather than love them.

I used to hate them with a passion but that was when I would struggle with fitting, blending, keeping them on!!!!:rolleyes: Now I can wizz through putting a new set of tips on they are no problem but I remain indifferent to the humble tip.:lol:

I love tips and sculpting, i certainly dont think tipping comes 2nd best or is inferior to sculpting in any way shape or form. When i am deciding which to do it comes down entirely on which suits the client best - obviously. Not all clients nails suit sculpting and some clients get on better with tips. I do think alot of technicians shy away from sculpting, it is undoubtedly a skill in itself but one well worth mastering. I think it is in grave danger of becoming a dying art - sadly.

I used to hate tips when I first started. I would always sculpt because I found it quicker than sizing and blending tips. Then I was sent some samples of CND performance tips and have used them ever since. I still sculpt on occasion, to repair broken corners or extend length on a broken nail if the client usually has a NNO.

I will have to start sculpting again regularly before I lose the abilty from lack of practise, but I do love my performance tips.

I suppose another good question is, if you can make beautiful, durable nails using tips and your clients are happy, then why should you feel 2nd class (? if you do). I too think there are allot of sculpting snobs about but
  • Are the nails they are doing as beautiful as those who are doing nails with tips? Maybe, maybe NOT
  • Are they any longer lasting? No
  • Are they any stronger? No not really, especially if you use well less tips
So why all the I HATE TIPS??
Is there some big deal about being able to sculpt and if you only sculpt does that make you a better techncian? If you only tip does that make you a worse technician?

I think every technician should have the skill of sculpting and every sculptor should be able to use tips ... but as Angie says ... it is horses for courses and sometimes it is the better solution to tip and sometimes to sculpt and you should not be able to tell the difference at all by looking at either.

I've inserted my answers:green:

Is this sculpting snobbery?
A: I don't think so, but I know how much I hate having to remove the enhancement completely to replace a tip as opposed to fitting a form and adding on. Much easier and less wasted product. No tips to match/size, no tip box to risk tipping over, no having to remember "oh, I'm low on size 6, need more of those" etc.

Do you see using tips to extend the length of nails as a second class service?
A: Nope, I don't. Like everything else in the biz, differences make the world go around. But I would prefer having a technician who can sculpt for myself.

Do you think you are a better technician because you don't use the dreadful tips??
A: No, I think there are techs out there that create more uniform nails than myself, who use tips.

Why do you think tips are dreadful, if you do?
A: I find it tedious to size them, to remember what size to order when they are low, it annoys me to have to remove the entire enhancement to replace a broken extension (especially with buff-off gel), I don't like having to have on hand several different kinds of tips, Tips don't fit everyone and often require adjustments.... etc.. I also sculpt a set faster than I can tip and overlay. Especially since I don't like the 'french white' tips and prefer a more natural white, and so have to more or less sculpt the white over the tips anyway:rolleyes:
ps: Forgot to say I hate blending lol

Where did you (if you did) get your hatred of tips?
A: I don't hate them. I'm annoyed by them. Still use them occasionally. I learned to dislike them once I learned the possibilities of sculpting.

If you love them, tell us why.
A: one word - VERSATILITY

:hug:

Last edited:
I love tips!.. When I was in college the teacher told us all how much she hated to sculpt and of course that put me off straight away:irked:

Later I did the Bio Sculpture course and found I was well able to sculpt a beautiful nail, but the educators sculpts would not last long at all and at one beauty show I went to, I asked for a sample nail and it fell off the following day (I've never had a nail fall off in my life) so again this put me off and never really practiced sculpting.

The thing is I really want to sculpt 'cause I'm so allergic to dust and I'm so fustrated:irked:

I do have one question about sculpting though... how do you decide with your client what shape and length she wants when doing the consultation?.. is this a really stupid question?:rolleyes:.. with tips you can show the client exactely what shape and length she's getting before applying the product

I love tips!.. When I was in college the teacher told us all how much she hated to sculpt and of course that put me off straight away:irked:

Later I did the Bio Sculpture course and found I was well able to sculpt a beautiful nail, but the educators sculpts would not last long at all and at one beauty show I went to, I asked for a sample nail and it fell off the following day (I've never had a nail fall off in my life) so again this put me off and never really practiced sculpting.

The thing is I really want to sculpt 'cause I'm so allergic to dust and I'm so fustrated:irked:

I do have one question about sculpting though... how do you decide with your client what shape and length she wants when doing the consultation?.. is this a really stupid question?:rolleyes:.. with tips you can show the client exactely what shape and length she's getting before applying the product

I suppose you could demonstrate with a tip and then sculpt the shape she likes?

I do most sculpts squarish and then alter the final shape to suit if necessary .... unless oval is called for in which case I go for it from the start.

What you said at the start though is what I'm thinking we will hear from the 'sculptors' out there which is ....... SOMEONE put them off using tips like someone put you off sculpting. Clearly you know that a good sculpted nail lasts as long as a nail that is well tipped ... your experience showed you that someone did not do a good sculpt on you but you know that is not true for all sculpted nails.

People influence us ... many technicians that only sculpt indoctrinate their clients that "sculpting is the best" "Sculpting is superior to those nasty old tips" "Only those who sculpt are REAL technicians" can I just say .....
bol**** Bol**** Balderdash??? :green:

I suppose another good question is, if you can make beautiful, durable nails using tips and your clients are happy, then why should you feel 2nd class (? if you do). I too think there are allot of sculpting snobs about
I think it comes down to something as simple as having an additional skill that others (including me!) don't have. I would love to be able to sculpt and I do practice when I have a chance but I guess I 'envy' those who have the ability.

I think it comes down to something as simple as having an additional skill that others (including me!) don't have. I would love to be able to sculpt and I do practice when I have a chance but I guess I 'envy' those who have the ability.

It's really simple, Debs ............ if you can do beautiful nails with tips you CAN sculpt. All you need is a class and the will to do each and every repair by sculpting it. That way little by little you will build your confidence to tackle a full set one day.

Thanks Gigi... I'm reaching for the forms as we speak :hug:

When I first qualified, I HATED tips with such a passion, I struggled to find the right size, struggled with the amount of adhesive and don't even get me started on blending.........so off I went and was taught how to sculpt.

Then performance tips were bought out and I LOVE them, I use all 3 colours and really have enjoyed them.

Then one day I had a client when they just wouldn't do, sculpting was going to be a nightmare, so with a heavy heart I pulled out my Velocity welled tips again. I wish I hadn't left it so long, they were the right tool for the job, gave a much better finish and as I am now more experienced in general, I found the fitting and blending so much easier.

My hatred was based on inexperience and I found it hard to practise enough as the nail trainer is not the easiest thing to tip, in my experience.

Great thread Gigi and I will answer honestly.

I don't think I am a sculpting snob, lol (love that) although I do prefer sculpting to tips. I used to avoid sculpting because I was useless at it, but useless at tipping also. I then found that I could sculpt much more easily than tipping and I have always found tips take longer. Much longer :rolleyes: .... for me anyway.

I find the whole process of tipping tedious and labour intensive and a challenge.

Firstly, (and I'm going to say this in lay terms because this is how I see it in my head) ..... Find right tip
Shape nail to fit tip
Glue tip and stick on nail ...... glue dribbles out and
sticks to finger :irked:
Try and avoid air bubbles ...... more :irked:
Begin tedious task of filing, shaping dreaded plastic tip
and blending. I under blend or overblend
which results in blending off the well and/or
clients nail :eek:!
Then there is the tidying up of the millions of little
plastic bits which seem to forever appear out
from under the tip ..... where do they all come
from??
By now I want to :zzz:.

Sculpting, for me personally, is a case of ....
Apply form
Apply gel
Remove form followed by shape and buff.

Violla! Done. Nice and secure and in my experience lasts!

I also look at tips and sculpts like peicing together a piece of fine bone china. Imagine a tea cup broken in 3 pieces. This is how I view tipping. 3 separate pieces need to be stuck together ie. nail + tip + gel.

However, with a sculpt, you only have to piece together 2 separate bits ie. nail + gel. Now which cup do you think will be stronger after glueing? The one with 3 pieces or the one with 2?

Ok, please don't all through rocks at me and please forgive my simple analyses of tipping and sculpting. Gigi you asked for honesty so here's mine.

Gonna run and hide now:Scared: :wink2: .

When I first qualified, I HATED tips with such a passion, I struggled to find the right size, struggled with the amount of adhesive and don't even get me started on blending.........so off I went and was taught how to sculpt.

Then performance tips were bought out and I LOVE them, I use all 3 colours and really have enjoyed them.

Then one day I had a client when they just wouldn't do, sculpting was going to be a nightmare, so with a heavy heart I pulled out my Velocity welled tips again. I wish I hadn't left it so long, they were the right tool for the job, gave a much better finish and as I am now more experienced in general, I found the fitting and blending so much easier.

My hatred was based on inexperience and I found it hard to practise enough as the nail trainer is not the easiest thing to tip, in my experience.

A very good point ........... although a marvellous tool for many things, tipping on the Nail Trainer would put anyone off tips for LIFE! :lol: Why they can't make nail beds for the trainer that even somewhat resemble a real live nail plate, or have even the slightest C curve ? I don't know. :rolleyes:

As for you Mrs C ... don't be daft, I love to sculpt!! I just don't think it is the 'be all and end all' and I don't think those who don't sculpt are 2nd class citizens or bad technicians. For them I see sculpting as a GOAL to reach and for sculptors I see tipping as a GOAL to reach, for neither discipline is suitable for 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Isn't it great to have a good old discussion for a change??? :)

Last edited:
What a great thread Geeg!

I dislike tips a lot. I don't think of myself as a sculpting snob or feel that I am a better tech than those who use tips. Out here, pretty much everyone uses tips as they are gel users only and very little time is spent in school teaching them how to sculpt a gel nail.

I find that tips are not as durable or strong as a sculptured nail. The nails I do seem to last longer sculpted. There are rarely, if ever, cracks along the stress line as there often are with tips. I also find that tips tend to wear around the corners of the free edge.

I also dislike faffing about with nail glue when I can pop a form under and be done with it.

I have just bought some Dual System Forms (like a Popit) and now I am done with forms too! Life is good! These things take all of the work out of doing l&p and I adore how easy it is to do complicated art! (Thanks for that too, Geeg, as I never would have been looking at these if it weren't for you). I couldn't find a Popit supplier out here, but these Dual System Forms work really well.

I like to do both....BUT it depends on the nail plate placed infront of me lol....
Sometimes I think I just have the perfect tip in my drawer for the nails infront of me, and sometimes I have a nail shape infront of me, that makes me excited at the thought of sculpting on it, It would almost feel like a waste NOT to use a sculpting form :green:

I know my tips pretty well... so I tend to just know which size to go for or how much I am going to pretailor them etc.....
I don't find adhesive a problem either, I use a brush on resin so never get an excess amount...

Sometimes though the thought of getting the forms out struggling to get them under the corners of some smile lines fills me with dread...
All down to my own lack of ability applying forms... I am OK at them but not highly skilled...

I sometimes sculpt my left hand, and tip my right hand as I love to sculpt especially if doing stilleto or nail art.... however I struggle to do it on my 'wrong' hand....

It is something I don't really think about I just do what comes to what I feel is best at the time,
I would love to be able to apply sculpting forms properly every time though...
(ooo also I sometimes have longish nails myself and they get stuck to the forms I end up in a tangle lol)

Fab thread !!!!

Latest posts

Back