Tips .... do we love them or hate them and why??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer to sculpt, cant remember the last time i used a tip. I dont think its snobbery on my part I just prefer it as its quicker and you can custom the nails for the client. Takes me ages to do tips it just seems a lot of faffing.
If i do use tips its because the client as requested them. Its just second nature to reach for the forms .

I suppose a question to the people who 'sculpt all the time' is:

Having sculpted the nails are they as beautiful as the best applied tips? and to the tippers, are your nails as beautiful as the best applied sculpts?

Beautiful is what we are aiming for at the end of the day.

I do both, and depending on the nails I am working on I love doing both!! IMO there are 'sculpting snobs' out there - the techs who declare they never tip like it's an achievement we should all be aiming for...... I am well practised at tipping so can select a tip of the right type and size pretty much every time, but I can also tailor a form.

There are occasions when I would never contemplate sculpting, like on a nail biter, and there are othe occasions when I automatically reach for my roll of forms. Also, there are clients who have a preference one way or the other - I have a client with the most beautiful shaped natural nails with gorgeous long nail beds who insists I tip her whereas my preference would be to scupt her! Being able to do both is a huge advantage.

Great thread Gigi!

Having sculpted the nails are they as beautiful as the best applied tips? and to the tippers, are your nails as beautiful as the best applied sculpts?

That's what was the best part of the challenge of my Masters Qualification - making my tipped hand and scuplted hand look identical!

I do both, and depending on the nails I am working on I love doing both!! IMO there are 'sculpting snobs' out there - the techs who declare they never tip like it's an achievement we should all be aiming for...... I am well practised at tipping so can select a tip of the right type and size pretty much every time, but I can also tailor a form.

There are occasions when I would never contemplate sculpting, like on a nail biter, and there are othe occasions when I automatically reach for my roll of forms. Also, there are clients who have a preference one way or the other - I have a client with the most beautiful shaped natural nails with gorgeous long nail beds who insists I tip her whereas my preference would be to scupt her! Being able to do both is a huge advantage.

Great thread Gigi!

I suppose THIS very point is what I'm trying to steer this thread towards, so thank Vetty.

The point is are the 'I sculpt all the time techs' in fact sculpting when they should be tipping for the best looking result and are their results less than what they should be sometimes because they refuse to use tips???

Last edited:
i honestly think that both applying forms and sculpting, and tipping well require a lot of skill in their own way , lol i can remeber the mess i used to make when i first applied tips and when i first tried sculpting :lol:

i do both .. depends on the client, the nail etc... sometimes i even have a mix :green:

i am glad however i eventually learnt to sculpt , i still aint no where near perfect but i did feel like it was a bit part of nails and i hated that i couldnt do it , lol and at least now i can fit a form without wanting to stab my self in the eyes with my curette :lol:

I suppose THIS very point is what I'm trying to steer this thread towards, so thank Vetty.

The point is are the 'I sculpt all the time techs' in fact sculpting when they should be tipping for the best looking result and are their results less than what they should be sometimes because they refuse to use tips???
I sculpt because my results are soooo much better than my tips. My sculpts last and look good.

I have converted clients who have always asked for tips, to having sculpts.

I'm not saying there is no place for tipping. Most definitely there is, but it is mostly sculpting for me.

Good question.
For example: someone with flattish nails would be better with tips because the tips create a c-curve and a form following their natural nail wouldn't do so 'quite as much', I don't think?
BUT then the question is: if we want them to look as much like the client's natural nails as possible, then they SHOULD be flattish (meaning the c-curve), no?

My other questions/thoughts are these:

- I thought adhesive was porous, and so not the greatest thing to use due to it's porosity, and also that a better adhesion was achieved with the uv gel or the L&P than any adhesion created with 'adhesive'?
- If despite the variety of tips you have, you still don't have a set of tips that perfectly match the shape of the client's nail... won't the tip STILL try to revert to it's natural shape and therefor be more inclined to 'pop off' or pull at the nailplate? (read this somewhere, not saying it's right or wrong...just questioning it)
- My impression was L&P/UV Gel was 'stronger' than the abs (again, thought I read this somewhere, I don't know the truth of it AND YES, I know about the apex...) or whatever used to make tips, and so if a portion of the 'thickness' at the free edge is made up of the tip, then it would be less strong than an enhancement that is made up of only L&P/UV gel??? Just asking, not making a statement here.
- Re: saddling biters. Why is it better to saddle a tip than sculpt a biter? Forms can be bent/snipped any which way and if the strength is in the product and in a well shaped apex.... then why is it better to do that? Not sure I ever understood that one.

Don't get me wrong, just raising some questions I've had for some time. Until a year ago, ALLLLLL I ever did was tip AND I seem to remember 'defending' my choice of tipping, at the time and being told by others that it wasn't as strong, and I had to argue it. Some accused them of breaking more often etc....

I had no interest in sculpting. When I finally gave it a whack, fell in love with it and didn't want the headaches of tipping anymore (as they were well listed by Mrs. Clooney and oh yes, I HATE getting glue on my finger and feel so embarassed when I get inadvertently stuck to my client:grr: at my free edge of my own nail when it's pressing the 'ears' down of a french tip, grrrr)

Now..... if you take my forms away... I promise to give you a solid whack LOL:smack:

Forms aren't always acceptable to use. For example, tips are better to use on someone with ski-jump nails. Also, my nail tech has a heck of a time getting enhancements to stay on my fat thumbs. She has tried both sculpting and tips, the the tips work better (go figure). I think there is a time and a place for both techniques.

I used to hate tips.... because I could never get them to stick! It was always hit and miss with me and tips.

So straight from qualifying, I taught myself to sculpt!

In the lead up to the comps at Excel last year - where I had to use tips - I discovered well-less tips and brush-on resin. I've had no problems since.

I now love both methods.

I do think that sculpting might be faster though..... less prep.

i love sculpting but i use tips more as only just doing sculpting on my sister first 2 sets i got bad lifting this set i got new forms and so far so good but i cant get them uniform yet but i will keep going i will get there xxxxxxxx

I love tips, selecting the right one first time has almost become second nature now after nearly 5 years, blending takes seconds once I'd cracked my personal method which I think comes with experience and practice.

In my Masters I had to tip one hand and sculpt the other, I did it but didn't enjoy the sculpting element as I loath form fitting.

Lots of people have tried to sculpt on me but never get a form to fit properly and I end up with misshapen enhancements. I watched another geeks glitter gel sculpts video last week and was blown away with how perfectly she had fitted the forms and got the perfect angle - now that is clever and I'm very envious LOL

Ok I confess I used to be a sculpting snob!! In my defence, I went from only being able to tip to landing a job in a salon where the "we only sculpt" thing started (they didnt use tips, period).... I loved sculpting I loved not having to blend the godforsaken tips.....I couldnt get my head around why I would ever go back to tipping.

Then, the following year I had a 121 with Geeg, and I asked her why would it be better to tip instead of sculpting and she gave me a bleeding good answer!! I realised what a goop I had been!!! I then learnt how to assess the clients nails better, and make the decision on which method was the best and what a godsend it was to be able to offer both.

I now use tips on myself again and actually find it alot easier to tip my own nails rather than try and sculpt my own nails. I still hate blending if I am honest I must get hold of some perfromance tips!!

Fabulous thread Geeg!!!

Ok I confess I used to be a sculpting snob!! In my defence, I went from only being able to tip to landing a job in a salon where the "we only sculpt" thing started (they didnt use tips, period).... I loved sculpting I loved not having to blend the godforsaken tips.....I couldnt get my head around why I would ever go back to tipping.

Then, the following year I had a 121 with Geeg, and I asked her why would it be better to tip instead of sculpting and she gave me a bleeding good answer!! I realised what a goop I had been!!! I then learnt how to assess the clients nails better, and make the decision on which method was the best and what a godsend it was to be able to offer both.

I now use tips on myself again and actually find it alot easier to tip my own nails rather than try and sculpt my own nails. I still hate blending if I am honest I must get hold of some perfromance tips!!

Fabulous thread Geeg!!!

What did I say??? :lol:

No one loves to blend tips do they? It is just part of the job and a bit tedious so if you can skip it that is a good thing. When it's appropriate to use a well-less tip like the CND Performance tip you mention, it does make work SO much less tiresome. But sometimes you just have to do it and it is good to know how to do the job with skill.

I love it when I have to blend a set and then I look at the nails when finished and can't see a single scratch on the natural nail plate :green: ... that always makes me proud. It's sort of like a challenge. I know then I've done an excellent job. I get allot of satisfaction from that.

OK....*hands up* sculpting snob here.
BUT sculpting isn't always the best way...depends on the client tbh.
ONE OFF teenager?? White tips....you'll never see her for a fill. Don't waste my time or yours...
Ski jumps etc....nicely blended tips can look good.
Love to sculpt though...once I got the hang of it I just found it so much easier and liked it tbh.

Iv only done tip at the moment so cant comment on sculpting yet,maybe soon.I must say seeing what some of you geeks can do when sculpting i must say they do look great.keep up all the great work geek.xxxxxxxxx

Great thread Geeg! I wouldn't say I was a sculpting snob as I have only ever sculpted a couple on sets on one person (my training model and sha says she preferred it to me tipping) I actually like tipping as I don't find it difficult to blend them - CND Performance are a godsend though!

I like to be able to know I can do both (and I enjoy both too) as then I can assess the client and see where to go from there. Sculpting though does have the edge where time is concerned (if I can get the damn form to unstick from me that is :))

Now I'm almost there with the scuplting, it's custom blending next :green:

xx

Did no one seen my post below? Was wondering if one of our more knowledgeable geeks could answer some of those questions and/or respond to my thoughts? I'd love to be sure of my answers, if anyone asks me..... pretty please?

Good question.
For example: someone with flattish nails would be better with tips because the tips create a c-curve and a form following their natural nail wouldn't do so 'quite as much', I don't think?
BUT then the question is: if we want them to look as much like the client's natural nails as possible, then they SHOULD be flattish (meaning the c-curve), no?

My other questions/thoughts are these:

- I thought adhesive was porous, and so not the greatest thing to use due to it's porosity, and also that a better adhesion was achieved with the uv gel or the L&P than any adhesion created with 'adhesive'?
- If despite the variety of tips you have, you still don't have a set of tips that perfectly match the shape of the client's nail... won't the tip STILL try to revert to it's natural shape and therefor be more inclined to 'pop off' or pull at the nailplate? (read this somewhere, not saying it's right or wrong...just questioning it)
- My impression was L&P/UV Gel was 'stronger' than the abs (again, thought I read this somewhere, I don't know the truth of it AND YES, I know about the apex...) or whatever used to make tips, and so if a portion of the 'thickness' at the free edge is made up of the tip, then it would be less strong than an enhancement that is made up of only L&P/UV gel??? Just asking, not making a statement here.
- Re: saddling biters. Why is it better to saddle a tip than sculpt a biter? Forms can be bent/snipped any which way and if the strength is in the product and in a well shaped apex.... then why is it better to do that? Not sure I ever understood that one.

Don't get me wrong, just raising some questions I've had for some time. Until a year ago, ALLLLLL I ever did was tip AND I seem to remember 'defending' my choice of tipping, at the time and being told by others that it wasn't as strong, and I had to argue it. Some accused them of breaking more often etc....

I had no interest in sculpting. When I finally gave it a whack, fell in love with it and didn't want the headaches of tipping anymore (as they were well listed by Mrs. Clooney and oh yes, I HATE getting glue on my finger and feel so embarassed when I get inadvertently stuck to my client:grr: at my free edge of my own nail when it's pressing the 'ears' down of a french tip, grrrr)

Now..... if you take my forms away... I promise to give you a solid whack LOL:smack:

i am the complete opposite. i hate sculpts but love tips. i guess that would be because time is cut down and i am not to good at sculpting. i have done sculpts but never really got it right no matter how much i practiced. :irked:

I always used tips at the start and TBH didnt even know about sculpting. I used to find that the tipping was taking me the longest and it really got me down. Then I saw someone sculpt and I was amazed. I thought it looked so easy so I thought "I can do that!". You should have seen the mess!! I was gutted but after a long time practicing I improved and loved sculpting so much that I didn't use tips again for a long time. Anyhoo, I now use both and use which ever method is best for each individual.

Latest posts

Back