Tips .... do we love them or hate them and why??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit i hate tips... but i think it's mostly because when clients come from other salons 90% of times they had tips applied in a bad way. I see bubbles in adhesive, poorly sized tips, badly blended, overfilled nails due to blending, etc.
I can tip and i can sculpt, mostly i sculpt because i find it less time consuming and i have to admit i don't get along with adhesive very well... But that is another story...
But i don't consider myself better that a person that tips perfectly...

I tip mainly but that is because I have alaways struggled with form fitting and I always seem to get a better overall finish with tips, mainly because of my poor form fitting:eek: the enhancements always look more symetrical with tips if you see what I mean (they all look the same shape) whereas when sculpting some look wider than others, I do sculpt but not as often as I could.
Also I can size, fit, cut and blend tips a lot faster than I can fit a form and sculpt.

in my school we all tip cause its easier. if someone scalpts a lil finger we all crowd around in amazment. Everyone practice scalpting thou but it take double the time compare to tips cause we in school still learning

Hi I love to scuplt since doing the reverse method, for some reason cannot sculpt the traditional way with the white, but fine with colour not sure why I think its worrying to much about getting the smile in with the white wierd go figure lol, I sculpt my own all the time find it easier than tipping, I don't like tipping but do and use the well less tips as they are great for nail biters,
I have noticed though that if a client breaks a nail with sculpt then there is little to no damage to the natural nail but if the same happens with a tip that is glued there is damage to the nail plate so again that is why I would rather sculpt, I have one girl who has had both from me and she perefers sculpts she say they feel better and last longer before she need a rebalance, I think it is because she is a dental nurse so the adhesive was broken down by the scrub she has to use I may be wrong though. Since Shellac though most have gone natural so not done any for a while only mine and my daughters.
I had a girl ask me on facebook last week how to do enhancement as it is easy money :irked: so after a lengthy discussion and telling all she needed to learn and offering her my books to read through, she told me she had changed her mind.
I had a girl come for her nails done and ask me about doing nails she was going to get the rio kit and start just doing her friends for extra money as it looked so easy :irked: after I finished again explaining everything to her she was like oh right, she wasn't going to go on any training or get insurance she thought she could just learn from youtube and wouldn't need insurance, so I said what if you filled through someones nail plate and left them with permanant damage she was like I wouldn't do that, I was like how would you know if you weren't trained, as much as I love youtube for nail art ect some of it is dangerous as this girls ideas about learning form there prove and Rio should have something on there product saying not to be used on the public ect and don't get me started on ebay and some of the company's selling to untrained people, sorry for the rant went of on one there lol
I must admit at first I wasn't interested in learning sculpts as I thought tips where the way to go but I soon learnt sculpting and love it :)

Hmmmmmmm...
I rather sculpt then tip and only use a tip when i really have 2

Why:
A tip is still a soft and flexible plastic compared to acrylic =>which i work moste with) and when i use a tip i need to take this into consideration that i cant make my nail as thin as i would with a sculpt since it would be less strong.
a tip is more sensitive to acetone then sculpts. For myself it causes a problem since i use scrubfresh on every customer and over the course of time it shows cracks on the backside, which i dont have when i sculpt them.
More cost effective to sculpt then to tip
When i apply acrylic over a tip and try to tidy up my smileline a bit it almost feels like the monomer gets sticky on the tip when you fidle around with it too much.

Those are just some personal reasons why i sculpt my nails moste of the time ;)

I am learning with tips but have a massive urge to learn the art of sculpting one day :) I just scuplted my own stilettos which I am really proud of. I don't feel a "lesser" soon-to-be tech because I can't sculpt but will feel I have more options to the service I provide when I learn both :)

i hate tips,its old method.Why new technology? that professionals were used. I use forms.After extension i pull nails on the sides with special tweezers. And ,i,m sorry but what you see on photo its impossible to make with tips

or like this

Please forgive my ignorance Elini, but could one not use a clear tip and create art simlar to this? I have read a lot in my training and learning about the use of clear tips for things like that :)

brittone05 looking at photo on your profile i understand everything......Lets agree to differ

i mean that this forum to express opinion, so....i expressed my

But what does my pic on my profile have to do with it hun? I am a trainee - not a professional and seasoned tech and my profile pic is something i am very proud of as it was my first ever attempt at scultping. I am a newcomer who beleives that every technique has it's place and should be learned for when it is needed including tips and sculpting :)

Tips is antiquity!!!! If you a trainer so you should know that no one at any nails championship doesnt use TIPS.... because its in the past!!! Unfortunately i met with one trainer ( and i paid for my course!!!) which only knows how to make extension with tips and when i asked about higher level course with forms and etc she didnt know how to sculpt the nail . At school where i studied we had : 1 level- nail extension with tips and forms 2 level-nail extension with forms french, aqua desigh, agua french 3 level-master level So, to work with tips means to stay same level

I am not a trainer Eleni - I am a trainee ( a student )! Tips aren't, in my opinion, an antiquity. As you will read, some of the most highly esteemed nail techs and educators know that tips have their uses and their place in the wonderful world on enhancements and I am proud to know that, in a year or so when I have done more training, I will be able to both tip and sculpt to offer my clients a suitable service whatever their natural nail type, shape, lifestyle choice and so on :)

I am not a trainer Eleni - I am a trainee ( a student )! Tips aren't, in my opinion, an antiquity. As you will read, some of the most highly esteemed nail techs and educators know that tips have their uses and their place in the wonderful world on enhancements and I am proud to know that, in a year or so when I have done more training, I will be able to both tip and sculpt to offer my clients a suitable service whatever their natural nail type, shape, lifestyle choice and so on :)

Quite right Brittone, Tips are not antiquity .. if anything sculpting is more antiquity as when I started in the industry there was no such thing as tips.

Tips came much later and all the sculptors at the time 'trashed' them because it made learning nails easier for the new ones (just like they did with PopIts and other time saving ideas).

Look at Minx .. instant nail art that is making shed loads of money for those who either can't or don't want to hand paint ... all the so called 'artists' hate Minx because they can do it themselves (not that their clients are asking for 10 hand painted toes !! lol) meanwhile the Minxers are minxing away making money off a quick, easy, and long lasting service for their clients.

I can't stand the snobbery in this business from those who because they can, think they are the be all and end all of nail technicians ... rubbish! there are more than a few ways to do things and just because something is quicker and easier does not make it bad.

I learned how to do nails sculpting them .. it was the only way .. then I learned how to use tips and today tips are so much thinner and stronger they are like a sculpted nail and in fact no one can tell the difference if done well.

So you learn it all and learn all the new things that are coming along because they are coming along more and more. And it does not make you a 2nd class citizen if you use tips either. PLUS there are competitions where people use tips all the time so that is incorrect too. good luck.

Thanks Geeg :hug:

Tips have their place, forms have their place.

If you're a good nail technician then you know when to use either, and you won't turn your nose up if you have to use one or the other.

You're using them for the interest of your client.

well that here everyone can express their opinions.I think that with forms reduced the time spent:)

well that here everyone can express their opinions.I think that with forms reduced the time spent:)

I don't think that anyone would argue that using forms can make the service faster and cheaper too BUT not always the most beautiful result for the individual or the easiest option for the technician.

To say tips are antiquated is just silly and to say they are never included in competitions is just untrue. To imply that if someone who uses tips they are a lower calibre of technician is just rude.

Latest posts

Back