Tips keep falling off!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammykins80

Reaction score
:cry::cry::cry: Can anyone out there help me I'm really frustrated.:grr:

I have started doing Calgel nails and thought that I would start off just offering overlays to my clients as I think I have just about got the gist of doing those and clients seem to be happy with what I do.
However a lot of people seem to want the gel with extensions and although when I do them I follow the full prep routine and they look ok when I have finished, I am getting the clients phoning me the next day to say one or sometimes a few have come off.:(

I don't know what to do??? As the extensions are popular, I don't want to have to turn business away.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Are you prepping properly..??

HI
yes I am prepping as trained to do so by Calgel. It seems to be problem more with my tip application rather than the gel. Do you think that I may be better off trying to sculpt extensions with the calgel?

Are you using Acetone to blend the tips? I dont know about other geeks but I was told to ditch the acetone and purely file them to blend because the acetone can weaken them.
The tips are only meant to be a canvas so maybe the apex isnt correct or the thickness??
Is that any help??
Maxine x

Hi Maxine

I'm not using acetone to help blend. I think I am coming to the conclusion that I need lots more practice applying tips.

I really appreciate your advice as when your are novice it makes you recheck evrything you are doing.

Thanks
sam x:)

i use calgel with tips, i find that you do need to build a good strong apex using the 3 sausages ! i also find that you have to use extra gel with tips, just make sure that the cuticle area and the free edge are nice and thin hth

hey

do your tips have air bubbles in therefore arent stuck to the nail plate properly?? or are you putting enough glue on? xx

If Calgel is anything like Bio then it doesnt always work so well with tips.

i use calgel with tips, i find that you do need to build a good strong apex using the 3 sausages ! i also find that you have to use extra gel with tips, just make sure that the cuticle area and the free edge are nice and thin hth

also if your not so sure on building with gel you could always use a little bit of silk over the stress area, i do this heavier handed clients. I use tips without any probs so it can be done with a bit of practice x

this type of problem is almost always down to not building the apex correctly.

this is crucial when using gel over tips.

i trained with calgel last year and i had the same problem great for overlays but im not sure the product is strong enough for extentions.

Hi Sam,

If you give Robyn or Karen a call @ Calgel Head Office 01582 798920 we will be happy to give you advice with tip application.

Karen - Calgel Training Dept

Hi
:cry:
I feel your frustration. I am in the same situation. I have got a new client who was used to having acrylic nails but the place she was getting them done was damaging her nail bed with drills etc. For this reason she came to me(I use Bio Sculpture Gel) for a product which would be kinder to her nails. As with you, I have followed the prep to the letter then glued on the Frech tips and followed with the gel steps/overlay on top. A few days later she called and said she had lost 4 nails. I replaced them and now a week later she has just called again and said she has lost another 4- on different nails this time? I don't understand why this is happening when I have done everything exactly as I should? I feel awful- she paid me for the first repair but I have offered this one for free? Do you think this is a Bio/Calgel problem or me? Is Calgel more durable than Bio? Could the nailbed be too oily or is this maybe a fault with the glue somehow?

Sorry, I am feeling really frustrated about this myself and not quite sure what to tell her when I go and repair again as she will be asking me what is causing this and I am at my wits end? Any suggestions? Thanks.xxx:confused:

I dont like doing tips with gel for this reason.....Im working on my sculpting at the mo...but I do turn work away because I hate the thought of the tips coming off

Yes, I think I agree- I am going to do sculptures on my clients nails which need repairing tomorrow and see how she gets on with those instead of just replacing with new tips.:rolleyes:

i think the problem sometimes arrises with the perception that some have that gel can be applied just like polish. when you are using it with tips or with thin or long nails you must build an apex with the product to reinforce the overlay .

your clients nails have damage caused by electric filing on the ntural nail, this is a weak foundation for any nail product. you need to take that ito account when you apply the gel and reinforce your structure to help overcome the problem whilst the damage grows out.

if you are looking for a soak off gel that has good strength i would suggest you try lechat nobility.

Hi

i dont use calgel but with regard to the tips coming off it can be down to a few reasons. one could be that the tip could be slightly too small for the nail you are putting it on resulting in the tip popping off, always go for a slightly bigger tip rather than a smaller one and file down to size. another reason could could be that the nail is quite oily - make sure to remove all traces of creams etc with a once over with varnish remover then make sure that the nail is prepped correctly.

hope this helps

HI
yes I am prepping as trained to do so by Calgel. It seems to be problem more with my tip application rather than the gel. Do you think that I may be better off trying to sculpt extensions with the calgel?

You are right to check your tip application first, if you are confident with your gel application, then go back to your tip application and then your tip and gel application. I do not use calgel but do use gel and have done many tip and gel applications.

Doing a NNO is entirely different than doing a tip and overlay, as Susan(Angel Fingers) has said. Your apex is king when using gel in a tip and overlay( in any system for that matter), as this is your stress area and if you haven't built it up enough then then the tip will come off. You say that this only happening on a few nails so perhaps the stress area isn't as built up as it needs to be on a few.

Back to your tip application, are you going over the whole tip and nail with scubfresh or the equivalent(sorry, as I've said already, I don't use calgel), as I know that scrubfresh on a tip will start to dissolve a tip. The other thing is try to avoid touching the tip with your fingers so to avoid the transfer of oils which will not help in your application.

Lastly, what I do is look at my gel nail at all angles before I cure, so I have no dips etc., I can correct any problems then, and it saves on the filing.

hth :)

Last edited:
To just add, there are some seminars coming up for calgel and I rang them up this am and they will cover things like tips etc...Im def going now

Hi
:cry:
I feel your frustration. I am in the same situation. I have got a new client who was used to having acrylic nails but the place she was getting them done was damaging her nail bed with drills etc. For this reason she came to me(I use Bio Sculpture Gel) for a product which would be kinder to her nails. As with you, I have followed the prep to the letter then glued on the Frech tips and followed with the gel steps/overlay on top. A few days later she called and said she had lost 4 nails. I replaced them and now a week later she has just called again and said she has lost another 4- on different nails this time? I don't understand why this is happening when I have done everything exactly as I should? I feel awful- she paid me for the first repair but I have offered this one for free? Do you think this is a Bio/Calgel problem or me? Is Calgel more durable than Bio? Could the nailbed be too oily or is this maybe a fault with the glue somehow?

Sorry, I am feeling really frustrated about this myself and not quite sure what to tell her when I go and repair again as she will be asking me what is causing this and I am at my wits end? Any suggestions? Thanks.xxx:confused:

Hi My name is Amy and im new to here, i use Calgel and i have the same problem with tips coming off where it has lost me some clients, i have no problem with sculptures as these last up to 6 weeks with infills, as much as i love the product i cant promote Calgel like i want to if it doesnt do as it says?. I did think the other day is there a difference between Enchancements and extensions? are enchancements only meant to be a temporary and extensions meant to last like they say.

I find with Calguard that that this not only wips away the residue but also some of the gel - and yes i do ensure it is cured correctly

xx

Latest posts

Back