To cut cuticles or not??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to the forum, so firstly like to say hi, I am presently studying beauty therapy at college, but am a fully qualified nail technician. My question is do most techs cut non living cuticle? I only trim any dead messy looking cuticles and have found in college they are cutting back at the cuticles? is it preference?
:rolleyes:
nenee

Cuticle is the non living tissue on the nail plate.
The skin surrounding the nail plate is called the eponychium not the cuticle.The eponychium is living tissue which folds back on itself and protects the matrix from foreign bodies and bacteria. Cutting the eponychium results in it growing back thicker as you will be creating scar tissue aswell as running the risk of infection. Applying Oil a few times a day will keep the skin conditioned

I only cut the eponychium when it has grown really far up their nail plate (nail biters!!) I'd rather I did it than they went down Co-op, bought a pair of nippers and did it theirselves. In general, I gently lift the cuticle from the nail plate after applying Cuticle Remover and then nip it away.

I've only ever cut the eponychium if it's the odd ragged piece or on biters, to get them 'started' so to speak.
I usually find that within a few months, it sorts itself out, with regular maintenance.

I prefer not to cut, though.

hth's

Hi

For a while now knowing the difference betwen eponychium and cuticle has always been confusing. I believe the eponychium is what we call the cuticle and push back in a manicure procedure (and some cut back when it lifts or gets lifted and torn etc), the cuticle is the non living tissue (translucent skin) on the nail plate we remove with a pusher. Am i right or do i need some help ahh:cry:

nenee

Hi

For a while now knowing the difference betwen eponychium and cuticle has always been confusing. I believe the eponychium is what we call the cuticle and push back in a manicure procedure (and some cut back when it lifts or gets lifted and torn etc), the cuticle is the non living tissue (translucent skin) on the nail plate we remove with a pusher. Am i right or do i need some help ahh:cry:

nenee

Excerpt from 'nailcalss' by gigi rouse

There is much confusion as to just what cuticle is. It is referred to as: True cuticle, non-living tissue, pterygium, and probably many more things, all misleading. Some think the eponychium is the cuticle. Let’s define.

Cuticle is made up of exfoliated skin cells from the folds of skin surrounding the nail unit. Cuticle is non-living. Cuticle is NOT pterygium (which is an over growth of skin cells). Cuticle is not the eponychium (which is living skin surrounding the base of the nail unit). Cuticle is not ‘true cuticle’ as opposed to false cuticle, it IS cuticle.

If the cuticle is not regularly removed or rubbed off in some way, then it will build up and stick together until it almost looks like a membrane which is growing from under the eponychium … but it is not growing and it is not living, it is just building up until such time as it is removed.

Never cut the living tissue surrounding the nailplate. You my trim ragged skin or hangnails flush.

hi there

firstly I would like to say how brilliant this website is for therapists like me, Im so glad I found it!!

It all makes perfect sense now!

Can anyone recommend a book which is more in depth with regards to nail conditions/treatments etc, as the book I received for College has the basics ands maybe a little more, but I want as much knowledge as possible.

cheers

nenee:)

"Encyclopedia of Nails" by Anne Swain & Jacqui Jefford is fab!

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/61095-eponychium-cuticle-conflicting-definitions.html

This link may also help, not because I posted the thread, but because it contains info about a similar dilemma for me from just a few days ago.

I think you may be referring to eponychium, which tends to be mistaken for cuticle at beauty colleges. Pterygium is also another stumbling block as it can be referred to as excessive cuticle and it is not (as Geeg has said).

I would imagine that your requirements at college are similar to mine, in that you have to learn the syllabus as is being taught, despite conflicting information.

My advice to you is to try to learn the right thing as per Jacqui Jefford, Marianne Newman books and Geeg's ( Gigi Rouse ) Nail Class. Follow the required syllabus for your college, but remember to revert to the correct definitions of the above nail terms when you graduate. This site is also full of valuable info. Good luck :hug: xx

I NEVER cut the eponychium no matter what. Just remove the cuticle, and I find that using a curette is a big help. HTH:hug:

I only cut the eponychium when it has grown really far up their nail plate (nail biters!!) I'd rather I did it than they went down Co-op, bought a pair of nippers and did it theirselves. In general, I gently lift the cuticle from the nail plate after applying Cuticle Remover and then nip it away.
this is what i also do.

Im in a bit of a dilemma in college, as I dont want to be cutting the live eponychium but only push it back and then remove the non living cuticle on the nail plate. The problem I have is, every tue evening in college my lecturer gets us to practice on each other, and out come the nippers, then theres the student Im paired up with who then cuts away at my eponychium ahh:cry: Im now left with fraying skin around my nail fold, I think the caustic effect of the cuticle remover and the hap hazard approach of the student applying it does not help, then theres the clippers!! I dont want to make a fuss and conflict with the tutor but my cuticles look messy every time she comes near me, but I guess it wont be for too long and we have to start somewhere, Im just worried about the waxing and eye lash perming we have to practice on each other next:rolleyes:.

What is the situation in actual salons with clients, do they expect the eponychium to be trimmed? Or do therapists ask their prefrence, but still advise against trimming them due to infection etc, but if they insist do we then get them to sign their record card maybe?

nenee

IME there are very few occasions in the salon where trimming is necessay or needed.....nail biters yes, it has to be done on occasion but I avoid it when ever possible......whichever system you use I am sure they will at least have a cuticle oil for you to retail, or an AHA based cuticle exfoliant and conditioner which will help solve the problem provided the client uses it regularly.

Im in a bit of a dilemma in college, as I dont want to be cutting the live eponychium but only push it back and then remove the non living cuticle on the nail plate. The problem I have is, every tue evening in college my lecturer gets us to practice on each other, and out come the nippers, then theres the student Im paired up with who then cuts away at my eponychium ahh:cry: Im now left with fraying skin around my nail fold, I think the caustic effect of the cuticle remover and the hap hazard approach of the student applying it does not help, then theres the clippers!! I dont want to make a fuss and conflict with the tutor but my cuticles look messy every time she comes near me, but I guess it wont be for too long and we have to start somewhere, Im just worried about the waxing and eye lash perming we have to practice on each other next:rolleyes:.

What is the situation in actual salons with clients, do they expect the eponychium to be trimmed? Or do therapists ask their prefrence, but still advise against trimming them due to infection etc, but if they insist do we then get them to sign their record card maybe?

nenee

I've had my eponychium cut in the past, leaving them looking like someones chewed them:eek:. I was also taught to cut them, but have not done it after getting better information on here.
I find that some clients have wanted me to cut them, but I have explained that this isn't the best way to do it. Even though I've explained how it causes scar tissue to form, is damaging and may cause the nail to become infected they have argued that it was done at other salons.
I would rather lose these clients, than them ending up with damaged nails or an infection.
Some clients just want a quick fix and don't want to do any home care, but thats their choice, I just wont drop my standards. You can only do you best:).

sorry to hijack this thread but i use OPI cuticle exfoliator and then push back the cuticle but sometimes, when it's very overgrown, once it's been pushed back it's kind of flapping around and looks unslightly. i usually give the flapping bit a gentle nip with cuticle nippers so it looks neater. is this ok or should i be completely leaving it??

sorry to hijack this thread but i use OPI cuticle exfoliator and then push back the cuticle but sometimes, when it's very overgrown, once it's been pushed back it's kind of flapping around and looks unslightly. i usually give the flapping bit a gentle nip with cuticle nippers so it looks neater. is this ok or should i be completely leaving it??

Usually doing this only causes ragged skin in a few days time and it tends to thicken the skin as well. LEAVE it and if the client uses Solar Oil every day, it will shrink the eponychium so that it is nice and tight in a remarkably short space of time.

ok thanks, i will try this next time. i don't use solar oil but i presume OPI Avoplex oil will do the same thing

I dont cut anything that has the potential to bleed.. EVER!
Cuticle i scrape off no worries but for everything else i sell them a bottle of solar oil and give them an aftercare sheet.. :hug:

You can also see the damage with clients who have an obsessive habit of using the cuticle nippers. The skin looks tough and almost shredded around the nail. The more you cut, the more regrowth you get. I rely on cuticle remove to do the work and only trim a hang nail.

Do you use cuticle remover though? as its quite caustic? even though cuticles not removed would you still use this product? also when nails been soaking and the eponychium swells up and comes away from the plate, if left as advised would it shrink back and connect again without the use of nippers any advice?

nenee

Latest posts

Back