To drill or not to drill?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmefan

Reaction score
I was thinking of training in the use of an e-file (drill) to cut down on time for re-balances. I spent a whole hour the other day preparing a clients nails for product application because she had pink glitter tips and wanted to change to white. Even on normal re-balances it takes me quite some time. I have followed geeg's tutorials and have reduced my times quite a bit by following her advice, but still struggle (sometimes I don't file enough away and get a shadow where the new smile line is too thin!).

So, for those of you already using e-files, does it actually reduce the times by much? I have had various conflicting reports so let's hear it from the experts - is it worth it?

Cheers,
Hazel

I have been wondering the same thing, so this is a very interesting thread to me too. I'm really glad you have asked the question femmefan.

If I didn't use an e-file, I would already be out of business. It has saved my wrists from repetitive filing. I can now do a pink fill in less than 30 minutes, where it used to take me much longer. More clients=more money. I can do two fills in an hour, so now I can double my profits. Do take a class, and don't go cheap on your drill. Kupa and Erica (IMO) have the best models with the least vibration. HTH

I dont use my drill when doing p&w or when the client is having a rebalance but having the same colour / glitter on again. I use mine when the client is changing colour to help remove the colour / glitter, I rarely go over the product over the bed, I do this by hand.

what about with gels? do you think its better than all that filling? I use trosani system and a drill without the bits will cost me 350 eur. so with the class and bits i need much more!! But since this is a part time for me I also thought about it, you know if I get busy do you think its worth it?:rolleyes:

If I didn't use an e-file, I would already be out of business. It has saved my wrists from repetitive filing. I can now do a pink fill in less than 30 minutes, where it used to take me much longer. More clients=more money. I can do two fills in an hour, so now I can double my profits. Do take a class, and don't go cheap on your drill. Kupa and Erica (IMO) have the best models with the least vibration. HTH

So, who did you do your training with?

Cheers,
Hazel

Hi,
I did my e file training at NSI, I bought my drill from them too, that way you get the training at a much reduced rate.
I don't use it all the time, but when I need it, it does save time. Training is a must, so that you are covered on insurance etc.
Best of luck.
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug:

I love my drill, it saves me time and wrist pain. Of course i still file by hand to refine the nail. But i still can't do a rebalance in 30 min...It take me usually 1 h

I use my drill on every french client. I don't use it on the pink/nail bed area of the acrylic (some use it to de-bulk overall), I only use it to cut out the smile-line to insert the new white/glitter in the french area.

They are wonderful, I would definitely recommend you getting one! I absolutely love it!

x

i'm investing in an Erica's file at PB Dublin. We have a cheaper drill that we only use on ourselves and to de-bulk clients nails. One of my girls is very competant at using one as she has one at home and uses the drill most of the time she flies through a rebalance. I do think its saves time if you have a good one as she has said mine is not as quick or good as hers. Young nails provide the training with the drill so we'll all attend the class.
For gels the dust is bad enough without spreading it everywhere so I wouldnt file with an e-file

Could not run my salon without one. One of the most expensive things i have bought, but would definatly not be able to live without it.
It cuts my time down and i use ot for almost everything, I still hand file the sidewalls and finish off. But i use my drill for all my prep, thining the acrylic for rebalance, smile, thining before a soak off, reducing length.
But make sure you have the propper training on the drill you buy, ive seen some nasty things happen and have had alot of clients that come to me scared of the drill.:green:

I was thinking of training in the use of an e-file (drill) to cut down on time for re-balances. I spent a whole hour the other day preparing a clients nails for product application because she had pink glitter tips and wanted to change to white. Even on normal re-balances it takes me quite some time. I have followed geeg's tutorials and have reduced my times quite a bit by following her advice, but still struggle (sometimes I don't file enough away and get a shadow where the new smile line is too thin!).

So, for those of you already using e-files, does it actually reduce the times by much? I have had various conflicting reports so let's hear it from the experts - is it worth it?

Cheers,
Hazel
the answer is... YES IT IS WORTH IT.

you save time, time is money, so it is.

BUT
you HAVE to complete a training for it first. you have to master what every drill bit can do and what they can't, and then it's your new best friend.

I didn't read all of the answers because it's too polemical in the UK to say you use a drill... as we say, it's the hand holding the gun that kills, not the thing itself.

as you saym for a rebalance, there is no such thing.

Kupa do have good products BUT that's all they have. they need months to send what you ordered, years to answer a mail...

It really isn't faster, it throws hideous dust up in the salon and in yours and your client's faces, it is not good for the natural nail, it can burn, it can cut tender skin, it sounds like you're at the dentist, and most importantly, clients don't like them! I'm the only one in my area who does NOT use a drill (that I know of) and it's my claim to fame. My clients will never leave me. So many of them have come from a nail tech who has either hurt them or ruined her natural nails. Manicuring is supposed to be a relaxing experience so having a fiercely rotating metal bit on your nails can kind of interfere with that ;) I think nail techs should take the time to be gentle and caring and not try to get a fill in and out the door in 1/2 hour by using a drill. My opinion!

Latest posts

Back