To drill or not to drill........?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The photos in the post above this one illustrate perfectly the huge difference between efiles (which file off product from the surface of an enhancement) & a drill (which is a tool used to bore holes in stuff!)

I guess that is why dentists also call their tool a drill as they drill holes in the rotten bits of teeth to enable them to fill the cavities with fillings!

Huge difference IMHO.

I don't agree in the slightest! That argument just does not hold water at all.

One can use black and decker drills of any size to sand things, smooth things, grind things and polish things to a high shine etc. as well as boring holes.

Dentists use a dentists drill every day to polish teeth and sand them down as well as to bore holes in them.

Nail Technicians use a nail drill to sand the surface of a nail, grind out zone one, reduce the length or polish the surface ... and you can even use them to bore holes in the free edge for nail art, just like any other kind of a drill.

No difference apart from size and RPMs .. they all do the same functions. Dress it up how you want it's the same tool.

I do agree e-file sounds better, I associate the word drill with dentists and DIY, neither of which particularly fill me with happy thoughts. How ever, the pictures just brought drill and dremmel to mind, I think showing them to illustrate the point just made it even clearer how they are pretty much the same thing really. :lol::hug:

Gel and l/p is plastic, but I would NEVER tell my anybody that I offer plastic-nails (unless they ask me what the gel really is)! :)

Gel and l/p is plastic, but I would NEVER tell my anybody that I offer plastic-nails (unless they ask me what the gel really is)! :)

Well all my clients know their nails are plastic and I think all women know that.

There are many kinds of plastic and what we use is acrylic L&P or Gel to make that plastic and we enhance the look of their nails .. I don't think that is dressing it up or trying to mislead anyone .. everyone knows nails are plastic it is a given.

Gel is what you are using to make that plastic so I'm not sure that this argument stands up either..

I'm not saying not to call drills efile or efiles drills. They are both the same thing. You say tomAto I say tomato! I call it a nail drill and you call it what you want if it makes you happy. :lol: And I do not consider myself less professional for using the term nail drill. It is what they have always been called until someone thought efile would sound less threatening and nicer. Fine. It still is what it is.

I remember when i first joined this site, an educator pulled me for saying 'drill', & even though I felt a tad embarrassed, I still call it an e-file to this day.

I cant wait to finally get myself an e-drill :))), I loved what I could do with one when i had my training.

I thought this thread was about whether or not to buy an e-file/drill! For goodness sake, people - they are the same thing! I have used my e-file to DRILL a whole in the nail for art, I have used my DRILL to file down a client's nails - its not a technical term - so it doesn't matter which one you choose to use and neither term is incorrect.

Its your choice - as Gigi has been trying to say. Let it go!

Okay they are based the same, just different in how and who uses them and for what. Terminology is everything. The way they are used is what counts. You either know how to use it or you don't, You like it or you don't.
BUT- Clearly drilling and filing are two different words and thats what I'm trying to clarify.

file |faɪl| |fʌɪl|
noun
a tool with a roughened surface or surfaces, typically of steel, used for smoothing or shaping a hard material : it is possible to make the necessary notch with a file.
verb [ trans. ]
smooth or shape (something) with such a tool : when I have nothing else to do, I file my nails.

drill 1 |dril|
noun
1 a hand tool, power tool, or machine with a rotating cutting tip or reciprocating hammer or chisel, used for making holes.
drill1 1
• such a tool used by a dentist for cutting away part of a tooth before filling it.

In Manicurist school they teach you how to file. it's all about technique if you feel good about your skill that's what counts, nothing wrong with learning more. Or having an opinion.

I think it is up to the individual how they want to work.

A lot of things that are pooh poohed one day are held up as the way to go another.

Me personally will look closer at e-files. I wouldn't use it for prep but I am tempted to use one for reducing length and rebalances. My clients wouldn't mind I am sure because they trust my judgement. I am just concerned about the fine dust they produce and the apprent mess.:rolleyes:

Christine,

If you don't have a fan, it will be terrible using the e-file. I bought a fan years ago, but have never used it. I picked it up again when I began using the e-file and it really is a very huge different.

C.

I think it is up to the individual how they want to work.

A lot of things that are pooh poohed one day are held up as the way to go another.

Me personally will look closer at e-files. I wouldn't use it for prep but I am tempted to use one for reducing length and rebalances. My clients wouldn't mind I am sure because they trust my judgement. I am just concerned about the fine dust they produce and the apprent mess.:rolleyes:

chris, these days there are much better bits produced for electric files and you can get a swiss carbide bit that shaves off the product finely instead of grinding it to a fine dust. the particles are heavier with this kind of bit and it all drops downwards and doesnt fly into your face at all. the dust is finer with gels than it is with l/p though.

atwoods swiss carbide round is my fave bit for the electric file.

Latest posts

Back