To Steam or not to Steam...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifi La Fume

Reaction score
Do you steam? Is is OK to use ozone steam?

Reason I ask is I have a small steamer but it's a pain in the bum so I've just invetsed in a stand up steamer and I woke up in a panic thinking it was a mistake. It'll take me a good few facials to make it back.

I steam quite a lot I work mobile so it is a hassle to take the steamer but it is the only way that really works to open the pores and soften the skn before comedone extraction. I also use ozone but only turn it on for one minute as it helps to kill any bacteria on spotty skin, but is not so good for the respiratory tract. It is also good if you want to do a deep cleansing back trreatment.

People love being steamed!! as long as you make sure it is not going up their nose as it can make it run and as long as they are not heat sensitive or have broken capillaries or acne rosacea.

Your steamer may have the possibility to add essential oils (yummy)- check the instructions, this is also a little treat for the client. :)

i too use steam i think its a great addition to a facial, not sure if mine has ozone, when i was at college they said it was against the law to use ozone as it can cause cancer. They even bought a whole bunch of new steamers cuz if it! But that was a few years ago now so i don't know how true that is.

I was told in my facials training not to use Ozone as it is not good for the respiratory tract, and very bad for asthmatics ... didn't hear the cancer thing though!

i use my steamer quite a lot but don't use ozone

I have never heard of the ozone causing cancer and its not actually against the law as such.

You must check with your professional body on if they permit you to use ozone during your steam part of your treatment.

The steam changes consistancy and becomes ionized when switched over to ozone.HTH

I'm a steamer. I think it is a lovely part of the facial. My clients all prefer it and it is certainly far easier for extraction.

I don't use the ozone setting though.

I also use the steamer but don't use the ozone as I always use the Enzymatic peeling under the steam and with the ozone it would not work. My clients love it.

I don't steam at all. Haven't since college. I agree it is most beneficial for oily/congested skin but i cannot stand the feeling of being steamed, i hate it. jmo im sure there are lots that are love it but im not a fan :hug: xx

I use steam as well, and like the others, do not use the ozone.

No steam fo us either. Nice warm towels atm, maybe Ill invest in one down the track abit ?

XX J XX

I steam with every facial. Usually no ozone it also will distroy any esential oils in products.

I steam with every facial. Usually no ozone it also will distroy any esential oils in products.
The idea is to apply your products after steam.

The use of ozone can be very beneficial when administered in small quantities, but it can also be very destructive.

Some public health authorities and beauty examination boards believe that the use of ozone can be bad for your health, especially when inhaled,it can lead to respiratory infections.

Most awarding bodies do not recommend the ozone part of steaming at all.HTH and clears up any misunderstandings about it being against the law or causing cancer.It kills the bacteria that causes spots and this is why some salons like to use it,but as you can see it's not all good or recommended in treatments and is the salon using it actually permitted to use it at all by their health authority????

I don't steam, but use warm/hot towels instead.

So would you recommend a steamer (portable obviously) would be worth investing in for mobile?

I have a steamer stand up one,but have been afraid to use it!!:eek:
i got it from my lecturer at college and it was going cheap,so i thought what the heck......
Some clients do request it,especially clients that ive had that have experienced Dermalogica skin treatments...
I personally use hotor warm towels from my hot cabbi ...but i know this would not br practical for mobiles...
I would not use it for clients who have acne rosacea or broken capillaries....but now the subjects been brought up i may just get my steamer out again...:green: :)

I have a steamer stand up one,but have been afraid to use it!!:eek:
i got it from my lecturer at college and it was going cheap,so i thought what the heck......
Some clients do request it,especially clients that ive had that have experienced Dermalogica skin treatments...
I personally use hotor warm towels from my hot cabbi ...but i know this would not br practical for mobiles...
I would not use it for clients who have acne rosacea or broken capillaries....but now the subjects been brought up i may just get my steamer out again...:green: :)
If you have one then go for it.No need to be afraid of it.As long as you keep it the correct distance from the face,only have on for set amount time and dont leave your client whilst it's working then nothing should go wrong.

Check for all your contra-indications and away you go.:green:

iuse a steamer it has an option for ozone i was always taught to use ionised water instead of putting ozone on, but i do keep it on for the first couple of minutes. in my luxury facial i do it for ten mins after the deep cleanse and prior to massage and masks. i got my new steamer for £30 at excel its a little chrome coloured portable one works really well, might not last forever but for that price i'm not too bothered x

I dont' like to steam, i think there are people that love it and people you hate it. I use hot towels heated in what is actually just a vegetable steamer! I soak the towels in water with a bit of essential oil first and then put them in the steamer to keep them hot. Always carful not to burn myself though, somehow managed it this afternoon, and silently screamed! Client was none the wiser, will turn the tempurature down a bit next time!!

IM sorry Kooky but i had to chuckle at your comment.....im even laughing now:lol:
Thats happened to me on several occasions when my mitts are soooooo hot and im like an indian performing a war dance while my client is snoozing on the couch....it only happens when ive got LOADS of mitts in the hot cabbi and the temp just rockets i think!:eek:

Latest posts

Back