Too soon to tell?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Not been on in ages - just returned to the beauty industry after a year out. Had a very bad experience in the hairdressers where i rented a room - not nice people or working environment. :sad:
Anyway, I'm now renting a room in another hairdressers. Been there nearly 2 months now. Loving being back in beauty and this place is so so much better than the other salon I was in.:)
The problem is that I am finding it very slow getting off the ground. I'm starting from scratch again and have next to no client base. There isn't any competiton in the area, so that's not really an issue. However, the beauty side of the salon was never really promoted terribly well and people don't even know I'm there.
I've done leaflet drops, word of mouth is dribbling out and the main ads go in the publications in June with all my summer offers.
Some days would be busy enough, but yesterday and today I didn't have a soul in.:irked:
The hairdresser (who is really lovely) is very busy and it's so hard watching her run off her feet and raking the money in, while I have an empty book.
I'm now starting to question whether I'm good enough at this job and if I made the right move. In the last salon i was in, I was very busy nearly every day.
I'm getting Dermalogica in soon and plan to do a lot of training in new treatments over the coming year.
I really really want this to work, but I'm just not sure it will. What do you guys think? Am I being premature with my worries? Should I give it a while? I just don't know what to do and my health is starting to suffer with all the stress and worry.:cry:
Any advice would be great, Geeks!
Thanks so much,
love Natasha

oh hun....
dont let it get you down!
there is so much you can do! you have just started! you know its not you as you were successful in your last job.
this is a new venture, with a salon that is new to your treatments, you HAVE to promote to the existing hair clients first, as they are the local woman and this will start your word of mouth!
even if you add free hand massages to ladies getting their hair dried, atleast you can sell your self!
as soon as you get your feet off the ground with a few clients you'll be flying......
why not print out some A4 posters for the local shops advertising yourself and offering discount to their customers? leave cards, price lists and discount vouchers in all the local shops!
dont give up
you r in a prime position within a bussiness that is already established!
use it to your advantage!
good luk chik
pm me if you need any other help
xxxxxx

If you look on hippy chicks posts she was doing the same as you (renting in hairdressers) - and she is a holistic therapist and with a bit of hard work - she has managed to get a really good clientel going in a small village hair salon .

It is possible. Just get out there - talk to the clients. Do some offers with the hairdresser.

Why don't you ask the hairdressers to reccomend you - and if it turns into a paying client - reward the hairdressers with a free treatment. worth a try.

You have to be pro active otherwise you wont do anything.

to get started again - I would happy to do small treatments for free for a day (eyebrows - back massages) things that only cost you in time NOT product. Its better than sitting doing nothing.

A busy therapist is an attractive one for clients.

Oh - patience is a must too.

You will be fine - I promise.

xx

Hi everyone!
Not been on in ages - just returned to the beauty industry after a year out. Had a very bad experience in the hairdressers where i rented a room - not nice people or working environment. :sad:
Anyway, I'm now renting a room in another hairdressers. Been there nearly 2 months now. Loving being back in beauty and this place is so so much better than the other salon I was in.:)
The problem is that I am finding it very slow getting off the ground. I'm starting from scratch again and have next to no client base. There isn't any competiton in the area, so that's not really an issue. However, the beauty side of the salon was never really promoted terribly well and people don't even know I'm there.
I've done leaflet drops, word of mouth is dribbling out and the main ads go in the publications in June with all my summer offers.
Some days would be busy enough, but yesterday and today I didn't have a soul in.:irked:
The hairdresser (who is really lovely) is very busy and it's so hard watching her run off her feet and raking the money in, while I have an empty book.
I'm now starting to question whether I'm good enough at this job and if I made the right move. In the last salon i was in, I was very busy nearly every day.
I'm getting Dermalogica in soon and plan to do a lot of training in new treatments over the coming year.
I really really want this to work, but I'm just not sure it will. What do you guys think? Am I being premature with my worries? Should I give it a while? I just don't know what to do and my health is starting to suffer with all the stress and worry.:cry:
Any advice would be great, Geeks!
Thanks so much,
love Natasha

:hug:

It is early to worry too much, but I fully understand where you are coming from...
the last place I worked (piercing studio in my case) had similar troubles.

Tattooists run off their feet, me a tad bored & desparate for more clients.

The problem in my case was a serious lack of marketing on the owners part.....not enough ppl knew I was there.

Keep doing your leaflet drops, carry leaflets & cards with you at all times, & vocally sell yourself all you can.

& most importantly:
believe in yourself & dont give up.​

All the best Chick :hug:

Well, I walked the wee legs off myself today delivering leaflets! Things are still very slow in the salon and I am still worried. I'm just putting everything into it and I desperately want it to work.
I think a big problem is my confidence too. It's not terribly good at the minute and every treatment i do, i think I'm rubbish at it. Think this goes back to the last place i worked in. The whole experience was a confidence crusher!
I am determined to put the hard work in and I really hope it pays off.
Do you guys think it will just take a bit of time? Am I being a bit impatient?
Thanks geeks, this site really helps me. I love all the tips, advice and ideas. You're all fab!

Love yas

Hi I read this and want to tell you to keep your chin up and for you to say to yourself that you are a good therapist. A respectable client list takes time to build - do not say you are rubbish when doing a treatment - your vibe will rub off. It is hard to feel this when all around are rushed off their feet but you have hardly been there at all. I have moments like this when clients cancel or you know you will not seem them again. I always do a mental assessment of situations like these and ask if I can do better but then move on and have belief in myself. How can you do better right now? Follow the suggestions in the other replies and remember a positive outlook will attract the right things. :hug:

Thanks essentia,
You're right - I do need to be more positive (boyf tells me this all the time - is there a hint I should be taking here, or what?:lol:)
Bought a book on Neuro Lingusitic Programming so I'm gonna get stuck into it tonight and get me some positive thinking!!
Lots of Love

Im into my 3rd week at a salon renting a nail room, it takes time to build a good client base, ive had 2/3 days where ive earned nothing but have been fully booked every saturday....

I havent advertised yet (leaflets are ready to go), i have an A board outside the shop so no none knows im there except for salon clients and walk ins.....

I constantly walk around the salon, leave my price menus on each station and chat to hair clients....

Must do my leaflet drop...Hang in there it will be soooooooooooo worth it x

Latest posts

Back