TPTW. How well trained is the trainer?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many years experience do you expect your trainer to have?

• 1 year or less

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 2 - 3 Years

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • 3 - 4 years

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • More than 4 years

Votes: 84 77.8%

• Total voters
What should be and what actually IS are unfortunately 2 different things!

As for hitting the minimum required standards, I'm afraid that simply would not do for the company I represent. Minimum??? We expect way beyond the minimum ... and with at least yearly Regional training they are pushed beyond their experience at each update. It's no good sticking or letting our ambassadors stay with in their comfort zones. "If you do stay doing what you do you will only have what you've got!" One of my favourite sayings.
I agree with Gigi, every trainer needs to stay updated with the newest processes as well as reminding them of what they learned in school and needed to receive a license in the first place. When I arrived in Arizona to begin my regional trainer program, everyone was handed a test on BASIC manicuring knowledge. I don't think that even one of us passed.:eek: I'll give my self a small break on this because it had been 9 years since state board- but it reminded me of how important the basic knowledge is. And I haven't lost sight of that since. I think that experience is great, but it doesn't always predict how well someone can teach. Some have it, and some just don't. So if you think that there is a lack of good trainers out there, then why don't more of you "step up to the plate"! Share your knowledge and I promise you that you won't ever regret giving of yourself to help others succeed.:green:
Brooke
P.S.- I made a 100% on the test the second time. Did you know that the moisture level of a nail that could harbor a "greenie" is between 13 & 17%?:lol:

What should be and what actually IS are unfortunately 2 different things!

As for hitting the minimum required standards, I'm afraid that simply would not do for the company I represent. Minimum??? We expect way beyond the minimum ....

I totally agree, therefore what you expect of your trainers IS the minimum that you as a company are willing to accept and if they cannot train or teach to that standard they obviously do not fulfill your minimum requirements.

There will always be excellent trainers who exceed even their own expectations and those of the brand they represents, but unfortunately there are also trainers that either cannot keep up to these expectations or simply do not use the tools or training given to improve their skills to stay on top of newest technology and techniques in order to teach their students at the required level.

Without any regulations in place only the manufacturers can monitor and improve this situation by ensuring all their trainers are up to scratch. We would need all manufacturers to do this to maintain a high quality of training throughout but without any regulations the standards will continue to vary between the different brands and their training techniques for the different products.

This is part of what makes a company or a good one if the product, as well as training, customer and aftersales service are second to none....

hi, I trained with a very good trainer called Lorna, she had been in the nail business for 15 years....and was excellent....

I did my Nail course ( if you would call it that !) in a college.. my trainer spent most of the time on the phone to her boyfriend... then when i finished.. my trainer said that i retained information so well I should do my Cert 4 ( in australia that is what you need to teach something you are qualified in)..and teach at the college!!!! are you for real....
I still don't have enough knowledge or experience to be able to teach someone to the level that a CND educator could.. I wish i had of know about other educators.. at the time i called the college and there was a place for me that week so i paid my $1500 and off i went.... biggest waste of money ever.... I should have call CND.. at least i would have got my money's worth...
I would not recomend a college to anyone.. train with a brand and stick to it.

I should have call CND.. at least i would have got my money's worth...
I would not recomend a college to anyone.. train with a brand and stick to it.

CND do have exceptionally high standards for their educators, unfortunately this is not the case wth every company / brand. :eek:

I personally would not train with anyone that had less than 5 years experience in the industry as a whole (ideally, i would expect them to have more than me, and im nearing on 7 years now!! lol!!) and at least 2-3 at the chosen subject.

I want to know I am learning from their experience and they can teach me the pitfalls and most effective methods.

I dont want to be trained by someone thats been doing the treatment all of 5 minutes and thinks their an expert.

One of the main disadvantages of training in colleges is that you are trained in groups that are most of the time to large for the trainer to be able to assess the individuals.

When you train with a brand or an independant trainer you are able to choose between 1-2-1 training or a small group with a trainer that cares about the students - you are a realy person that matters to that trainer and not just a number in a crowd.

In general I expect a trainer/educator to be able to show me, answer me and guide me competantly and efficiently.

I want to know I can ask them almost anything about nails and they will answer me fully so I can understand, I want to know they are are fully able to demonstrate techniques and skills that will help me to understand and improve, and very importantly also...I want to know that I am being given the most correct and up to date information there is....not information they gathered donkeys ago lol, for me... although time scale has its own importance and I would prefer they had plenty of years experience under thier belt....the main emphasis for me is the wealth of knowledge and experience and how they deliver that to me.

although time scale has its own importance and I would prefer they had plenty of years experience under thier belt....the main emphasis for me is the wealth of knowledge and experience and how they deliver that to me.

Youve raised some good points hun, :D

what I wanted to ask was, How can a trainer gain the 'experience' without they years?! lol. You can be taught a technique, but you cant be taught experience! lol. SO really, you cant get the experience we would expect from a trainer, without that certain time scale.

Last edited:
Youve raised some good points hun, :D

what I wanted to ask was, How can a trainer gain the 'experience' without they years?! lol. You can be taught a technique, but you cant be taught experience! lol. SO really, you cant get the experience we would expect from a trainer, without that certain time scale.

i have heard of people training to offer a treatment, and then within a matter of weeks they have trained to be a trainer! :eek:

I would say...yes and no....one person could have been trained for ten years...and worked one day a week.....or trained 5 years but had a 3 year gap in the middle...

where as another person could have been trained 2 years and worked everyday of the week...or 5 days a week but in a variety of different situations/environments.

Just an example but I think you could see that experience doesnt necessarily equal time?

For me I would say a minimum of 4/5 years but I also want to know where they've gained there experience. If they've been working for that length time mobile or in a home salon then I personally don't think they are going to help all there students.

I want my trainer to have done it all, by far the most important in my eyes is proper salon experience back to back appoinments 5 days a week, every week.

I have worked in spas and rented a room and both are hugely different, I wouldn't be where I am today without full on salon experience and I don't think trainers are that effective unless they have had salon experience either.

Just an example but I think you could see that experience doesnt necessarily equal time?

yeah i was agreeing with you! thats what "a certain timescale" meant. lol.

Even jst browsing round the forums, I can see posts saying "ive just done my training for lion taming" (obviously an example lol) and then just 2 / 3 months later "IM A TRAINER, I CAN TEACH YOU TO TAME LIONS TOO!!" lol.

I think if there was a poll option on here for less than 6 months, it would have ZERO votes (i would hope/imagine!!)

I think we all have different standards, but when you go for training, dont just take for granted that your trainer has X amount of years experience. Look into it for yourself!!

xx

For me I would say a minimum of 4/5 years but I also want to know where they've gained there experience. If they've been working for that length time mobile or in a home salon then I personally don't think they are going to help all there students.

I want my trainer to have done it all, by far the most important in my eyes is proper salon experience back to back appoinments 5 days a week, every week.

I have worked in spas and rented a room and both are hugely different, I wouldn't be where I am today without full on salon experience and I don't think trainers are that effective unless they have had salon experience either.

I couldnt agree more with this!! I would imagine that Salon / Spa experience Vs Home salon / mobile is very different!! Same for me in that if I hadnt worked with more experienced therapists in the start of my career (i was renting in a salon with other therapists) then I wouldnt be as awesome as i am now. hahaha. :lol:

I couldnt agree more with this!! I would imagine that Salon / Spa experience Vs Home salon / mobile is very different!! Same for me in that if I hadnt worked with more experienced therapists in the start of my career (i was renting in a salon with other therapists) then I wouldnt be as awesome as i am now. hahaha. :lol:

Thats exactly it Kate !

The amount of stuff I have learnt from other therapists I have worked with is massive, everything from different techniques in treatments to setting up the towels/blankets/sheets etc on a couch the list is endless !!!

My worries are that some therapist/technicians who have just done a one day course few months experience and then they are then teaching one day courses to other students :grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

WHY ?!!! Who employs these people !!!

Unfortunetly ladies sometimes there is a need to employ a teacher NOW and a school cannot wait for a decent one to come along - I in no way condone this but I know it happens as the school I teach in did exactly that!
when I went for my ITEC my teacher had done nails for about 6 months and beacuse she was at the right place right time she was hired and taught for 5 yrs, another teacher is even worse and made such a mess of the syllabus that they are weary of me changing it back!
I always knew I wanted to teach and have had a long winding road to get here, my road is not the way I want my students to go - sometimes crap training that is such a waste of moolah!, short courses with no back up etc.
I tell them always that they need a standard such as an ITEC then they are free to embark on as many product companies/short courses that they like.

In the poll I chose over 5yrs - Yes it depends on what kind of experience that you've had but I hope that in those 5yrs you've seen a wider veriety of techniques, training, products, clients than you would of in 3yrs. IMHO 3yrs would only see you move to a senior position in a job not a management position so have you really the experience?

I have worked in nearly all area's of the industry, I have trained with alot of the top names, I have a new & successfull business, I know about many diff products, techniques. I am well read and continue to learn every year. I am proud of this and always want more. I have been in nails for nearly 8 yrs and cant wait to see what the next 8 brings.
Sorry to harp on about myself but I am happy to be part of this industry and want to help shape it for the better.

hi, In my opinion you should be experienced in all aspects of the nail industry and in order to achieve such experience you need to have worked in salon for the very minimum of five years to have brushed up on your skills and built up a good client base as well as experienced the in and outs of running a busy salon. You must also ensure that you have done all relevant training to become a trainer and to keep updating your own education as we are always learning new skills. I think the need for compulsory NVQ or equivilent qualifications are a must for the future of the nail industry.:)

There is an awful lot of talk about people being qualified to teach!! What is that?? The teacher qualification I did was all about lesson plans and assessing and organisation skills .......... bah. Nothing to do with teaching.

I learned all my delivery skills from Creative and no one can teach anyone the natural skills of communication and helping your students switch on their lights!! Teachers are born not made. Experience of course is vital and no one can teach you that either.

Letters after ones name will not help regulate the industry IMO. I know plenty who have got the qualification and couldn't teach anyone how to make a cup of tea, let alone how to do something as skillful as nail enhancement. I sit and listen to them and :zzz: not an ounce of inspiration or excitement or fun. There must be all that as well IMO.

Being a good nail technician doesn't make a good teacher of the art either. It is rare to get all the things together in one person. We search long and hard to find them and when we do ... I could care less if they have letters after their name and a whopping boring portfolio I'm never going to look at.

Mine is gathering dust in some dungeon somewhere along with about 8 others for other letters I have never really used either! :lol:

Again I agree - I didnt mention my qualification as it was all lesson plans and theorys about the best ways to teach. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher ever since I was small, so I hope it comes quite naturally to me.

step 1 - research research research
step 2 - perfect your craft
step 3 - enjoy what you do everyday and you cant go wrong

There is an awful lot of talk about people being qualified to teach!! What is that?? The teacher qualification I did was all about lesson plans and assessing and organisation skills .......... bah. Nothing to do with teaching.

I learned all my delivery skills from Creative and no one can teach anyone the natural skills of communication and helping your students switch on their lights!! Teachers are born not made. Experience of course is vital and no one can teach you that either.

Letters after ones name will not help regulate the industry IMO. I know plenty who have got the qualification and couldn't teach anyone how to make a cup of tea, let alone how to do something as skillful as nail enhancement. I sit and listen to them and :zzz: not an ounce of inspiration or excitement or fun. There must be all that as well IMO.

Being a good nail technician doesn't make a good teacher of the art either. It is rare to get all the things together in one person. We search long and hard to find them and when we do ... I could care less if they have letters after their name and a whopping boring portfolio I'm never going to look at.

Mine is gathering dust in some dungeon somewhere along with about 8 others for other letters I have never really used either! :lol:
I couldn't agree more (except on the part I didn't understand language wise... my English still isn't perfect lol)

for quite a year, and for another one I go and train anywhere in Europe, with some master techs, and you find in the very first seconds WHO is a good teacher and who is here... just to show off, or for the money, or doing their best but still... no. it just won't work. Communication is a huge key but then... we always fight with my boss when we talk about a product, and to me what is important is that the message is understood by all the audience, whereas he's all for the technical aspects and blahblah I don't even get, which is always so annoying (but he's the boss). also when to speak, the rythm of speech, the amount of theory over practical situation... the words to find...

the human qualities are really important when you teach. even more than the abilities you are showing. because if I am a newbie, and I go to my training, and the educ starts off showing a competition nail, that I have never seen done in front of me before, I'll only remember the result, the woa... but the how did he do that? if the trainor can't explain, if, when I ask another stupid question he's like *come and watch closer* I'll be like... 'tard.

I wish I could have a training with you geeg... :|

Jeez
over here in Ireland,there are a lot of teachers,educators,teaching with this skill?

SEE ONE
DO ONE
TEACH ONE
Thats the truth!!

Jeez
over here in Ireland,there are a lot of teachers,educators,teaching with this skill?

SEE ONE
DO ONE
TEACH ONE
Thats the truth!!

Not just in Ireland Mrs O .. Not just in Ireland. :hug:

Latest posts

Back