TPTW. Keep moving on....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
Times are changing, the industry is changing.
Where do you see yourself in 1 years time professionally?
Would you like to work in a salon/mobile/from home?
Would you like to own a salon?
Would you like to become an educator?
Or are you happy as you are?
Do you feel as though the "hobbyist type" techs are taking your business away? Especially at the prices they offer.....

Do you class these techs as competition? Or merely glance at them and think "here today..gone tomorrow" as a lot of them are.

What courses are you planning on taking to further yourself?
Do you think you offer enough services?
What about add ons? Do you offer any?

Would you go back to college and do your teaching courses?

Or are you thinking "WHAT THE HELL.....I've had it with this malarkey and am going to work in Marks and Spencer etc"
Do you hard to build up a client base and this make you disheartened?
Or is it the fact that a lot of people find our services as an extra they can ill afford atm?

This is for all geeks in any area of the industry.....

This is a tricky one as everyone is finding it hard at the moment and i think its getting worse. With everything that is going up...its hard to say "yes,i have this much for that course ".....instead its "can we afford the gas as its going up again by 60-70%"....

Evryone is watching what they spend...and i think if we could,we would all love a shop and have what we want in it...but i for one could not spend taht much money at the moment.Good thread.

In a years time I would like to teach more and be able to leave my salon and be confident the money is still coming in
I dont class hobbiest as my compitition as it is not the same working from home/mobile than working in a salon, I'm not saying better or worse but you need both/more experience.
Very few of us do a few days in salon and the rest at home as it is hard to build a business if your not there 100% of the time.

I teach so I know that x amount more techs are entering the industry but only a few from each class ever really go on to be hugely successful, many fall to the wayside just working at home or on there friends.
I dont go 9 mths without attending a class and I would like to sculpt more or learn Danne medipedi's or hot stones for the winter

I BELIEVE I can be a gr8 Tech, and believe I bring something to others lives, I study hard, spent alot of money which paid off in the end however hard it was at the time, I also genuinely learnt form every experience good or bad, I never really struggled as I put 100% into everything and was honest with my capabilites, Some peeps do not think nails are a luxury they r just part of their personal grooming and a neccessity like going to the dentist

Ultimately I would like to donote some of my time to Sociological projets, I studied sociology and am still interested in Youth developement so would like to offer young people a chance to learn a skill that they can use to further themselves and I believe nails is just that. they dont need a table nor wax pot just a file and some polish. so hopefully i will get closer to that goal.

Where do you see yourself in 1 years time professionally? In a years time I will have more experience and with my youngest in full time education I will be able to commit full time to my career..
Would you like to work in a salon/mobile/from home? Preferably in a salon
Would you like to own a salon? Yes...along with my daughter who will have qualified as a Beauty Therapist
Would you like to become an educator? Not right now...too early in the industry for me to think along those lines....
Or are you happy as you are? Happy to carry on learning yes....
Do you feel as though the "hobbyist type" techs are taking your business away? Especially at the prices they offer.....I guess I am the 'hobbyist' tech right now as I cannot commit fully to the business...but my prices are set at what they will be when I can go full time.

Do you class these techs as competition? Or merely glance at them and think "here today..gone tomorrow" as a lot of them are. I hope I am not looked at that way...but I can only prove people wrong...

What courses are you planning on taking to further yourself? In order to further myself I want to be able to offer Gel nails...so that is my plan at the moment...
Do you think you offer enough services? As far as nails go...not really...
What about add ons? Do you offer any? I don't offer any....but I want to and will do...

Would you go back to college and do your teaching courses? Doesn't apply to me...

Or are you thinking "WHAT THE HELL.....I've had it with this malarkey and am going to work in Marks and Spencer etc" Noooooooooo....I haven't got started yet :D
Do you hard to build up a client base and this make you disheartened? This is the difficult bit...but all my previous jobs have been about building client bases...so I know what to do...it just doesn't make it any easier....
Or is it the fact that a lot of people find our services as an extra they can ill afford atm? I think this is the main factor and the hurdle hardest to get over...
The Beauty industry as a whole....hair/skin/nails in todays climate is seen as a treat and a luxury...maybe hair less so by a whisker...
How many times have you heard ''oh I am having a treat...I am having my *insert* done today!''
Luxuries come pretty low down on the list of things to pay out for....and a lot of what we do can often be seen as a luxury or at the very worst a non-essential :|

Xxxxxxxxx

If you want a shop get a shop! People will always spend and people will always have money EVEN if a recession comes than someone will still go out n buy Gucci shoes! If you want your own business you want if for more reasons than just to get rich - well I did. It is so enjoyable to own my own nailbar and I didint and still dont have any money. I love, love, love nails and my clients see that and appreciate my passion

Where do you see yourself in 1 years time professionally? As a fully qualified nail tech who is producing work that people will pay decent prices for
Would you like to work in a salon/mobile/from home? Home salon and mobile
Would you like to own a salon? Eventually yes
Would you like to become an educator? Possibly.. already have some teaching qualifications
Or are you happy as you are? Not happy at moment as struggling to find clients/models.. becoming impatient to progress to being professional first.
Do you feel as though the "hobbyist type" techs are taking your business away? Especially at the prices they offer..... Don't class myself as a hobbyist just because I would be working from home/mobile. Very committed to suceeding and being the best I can be. Haven't got any business at present but with hard work, who knows

Do you class these techs as competition? Or merely glance at them and think "here today..gone tomorrow" as a lot of them are. Not sure what a hobbyist tech is tbh, some techs regardless of intentions will probably be here today, gone tomorrow anyway.

What courses are you planning on taking to further yourself? starting nvq 3 nail tech in september covering acrylic, fibreglass, gel and nailart, depilatory waxing in october, ear piercing in august... then want to do spray tanning... goodness knows when.
Do you think you offer enough services? At the moment no... hence the above
What about add ons? Do you offer any? Only a little nail art, mani/pedis with and without treatments, hollywood toes

Would you go back to college and do your teaching courses? I would finish them at some point yes

Or are you thinking "WHAT THE HELL.....I've had it with this malarkey and am going to work in Marks and Spencer etc" sometimes but marks' is too posh for me.. more like asda!
Do you hard to build up a client base and this make you disheartened? Can't seem to find anyone willing to be models at moment. permanent clients a little different, need to improve service before this will happen but getting a little dispondent, yes
Or is it the fact that a lot of people find our services as an extra they can ill afford atm? I think this is part of it although offering sets at £10 should be an incentive but still no luck.

Excellent thread..... :)

Sorry guys..let me add... I'm not talking about people who take the job seriously (I think to be a geek makes you serious tbh) when I talk about hobbyists etc. By that I mean the people who take it upon themselves to do a one day course with a not-so reputable company etc and then set themselves up as mobile...ya know?
The ones who say "Oh I can do nails!!" in the school playground etc.
Who actually ermmm can't.
Then you have to superglue your mouth.
Well I do:)

I totally agree that the industry is changing and what we need to do is learn to change with it. This is where the difficulty lies.

What I do see happening is that the whole world of beauty and nails is leading towards alot more products available over the counter for the clients to do many of their treatments themselves or with friends. Products that previously were only available from salons and for professionals.

We all know about the DIY nail kits from the likes of Argos and Tesco that are available for all to buy and there are now also the dermabrasion kits, facial peel kits, at home spray tan kits etc etc and even at home lazer hair removal kits and the list of DIY kits is ever growing. The great amount of information that is available to clients via the internet is more than ever before on how to make these treatments as professional as possible via the likes of you tube and even via this site which I have no doubt that there are many diyers using all the info we discuss.

Especially with the credit crunch we are going through I can see many of our clients going down this diy route.

What I think we as an industry need to do is find a way of combatting this "new beauty route" so we dont all go out of business.

How do you see us guys coping with this?

I think thet the fact that theres these kits in the supermarket wont be a problem and this is why. How many people have run crying to the hair salon when a mate has tried to hi light their hair and its an orange mess!!! When the bottle of tan was a nasty patch orange and when their plastic nails last one night!!! Maby the people who try these kits and see how hard it is(and how rubbish the end result is) will think.. hey I thaught this was easy-I need to see someone who knows what their doing!!! Hair dyes have always been available in the supermarket and people still get their hair done I dont no one person who doesnt get their hair done in a salon or by a reputable mobile hairdresser!!! Most people in my area would think a home job was a bit erm scabby!!:o

thanks girls for your replys:hug:

Last edited:
Will answer as best as I can..

Hopefully, I'll have done my L&P course and getting further along in obatining a semblance of a 'masters' here in Quebec, since we don't even have licensing . I want to do the beginners & advanced L&P here locally with EZ flow.
I wish to continue to work from home BUT either A) get bigger house to have seperate room or B) build an addon to the house we have to have a place of business seperate from our home
I would like to eventually hire a junior tech
I would also like to educate locally as there is nothing this side of the bridge and the education is so-so here, and I don't feel on par with the US or the UK (at least not in this province)
No, always thinking of the next challenge, BUT not dissatisfied either, I've come a long way and worked hard.. proud of my achievements so far.
Do you feel as though the "hobbyist type" techs are taking your business away? Especially at the prices they offer.....
YES!!!!!!!!!!! and ruining the name of the business

Do you class these techs as competition? Or merely glance at them and think "here today..gone tomorrow" as a lot of them are.
Here today, gone tomorrow, but they don't help either

L&P beginner & advanced, wraps, maybe add-on services (not sure what)
NO
Not really at this time, but entertaining a few ideas. Like henna tattoos, and maybe spray tans???

We dont have teaching courses where I am. Anyone with a single diploma can call themselves a teacher here. Hence the biggest problem in quebec with techs not getting the education they need (like myself)

Or are you thinking "WHAT THE HELL.....I've had it with this malarkey and am going to work in Marks and Spencer etc"
Hell no, I'm in for the long haul. I'm too damned stubborn to make light of this. I love it too much, am too passionate. The only thing that holds me back is hard cash
I was for a while, but now I've got a good base that I've worked hard for, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, the only way is UP now.
Or is it the fact that a lot of people find our services as an extra they can ill afford atm?
That may become a problem soon, especially for me in my town of 'blue collar' peeps. May look at renting a space in the city, and look at working 2 days a week there, a higher priced part of town.

I want to grow, and grow as far as this will take me.
I want to expand my skills.
I want to expand my business.
I want to compete
I want to teach.

It's a lot to look at, but I think once I get my masters.... or 'equivalent' if you will... then the rest will fall into place. One day at a time. I have faith. if you want something bad enough and work hard enough at it and don't give up, it WILL be.
I have to believe that.
I've overcome harder obstacles than this.
I'm entertaining thoughts of approaching the government for a woman entrepeneur grant to help me get off the ground. Gotta see what it entails. Got this far on credit cards to get started. if I really want to 'roll along", I'll need some cash to get rolling...
Gotta figure it all out.
One way or the other, I'll get where I want. I want it too damned bad to give it up.

:hug:

Good thread Judy

I am in a good place right now...I have a home salon and love it....I have no desire for a privately rented salon because to be honest I wouldn't gain anything from it and in fact would loose out. I wouldn't be able to work the out of hours that I currently offer...this would mean less clients and more bills to pay. Alot of my clients come out of hours because they work full time and want their weekends with family....this suits me because I also don't want to be working Saturdays.

I am lucky as there are no NSS very close to me, but we do get the hobbyist every now and then pop up....they never seem to stick around for long, I think they realise its not at easy as it looks and encounter problems and give up.

I totally agree that the industry is changing and what we need to do is learn to change with it. This is where the difficulty lies.

What I do see happening is that the whole world of beauty and nails is leading towards alot more products available over the counter for the clients to do many of their treatments themselves or with friends. Products that previously were only available from salons and for professionals.

We all know about the DIY nail kits from the likes of Argos and Tesco that are available for all to buy and there are now also the dermabrasion kits, facial peel kits, at home spray tan kits etc etc and even at home lazer hair removal kits and the list of DIY kits is ever growing. The great amount of information that is available to clients via the internet is more than ever before on how to make these treatments as professional as possible via the likes of you tube and even via this site which I have no doubt that there are many diyers using all the info we discuss.

Especially with the credit crunch we are going through I can see many of our clients going down this diy route.

What I think we as an industry need to do is find a way of combatting this "new beauty route" so we dont all go out of business.

How do you see us guys coping with this?

I agree with Thersa.....Too many diy kits avaible to stop people doing their own nails.....they are cheaper than the real nail tech,BUT they are not the way to go....with the world as it is now we should get someone to write to argos tesco , rio and tell them the real damage they are doing to people's nails.

We just need to do our best , keep our prices realistic, and always smile !!

Hopefully with my home salon up and running and working full time
I will defiantly be working from home don't think I could work in a salon this is a lot to do with the overheads you have with a salon.
In maybe 5 or more years but this isn't something I am desperate to do.
Mmm this is something I think is starting to appeal to me with there not being many Creative Educators in Scotland especially up in my area you never know it might happen :lol:
No I would like more training but money and all that is a problem.
This isn't a problem in my area but I can see it happening. saying that people aren't stupid and if you have a good qualification and have a good reputation people will came to you rather than the girl down the road.

Not competition as such but defiantly a pain in the but! As I said reputation is a great tool so if your good they wont have a look in.

I have enrolled in a Facial course at my local collage. I feel I need to offer as many treatments as possible to make it worth me having a business.
At the moment yes
As I said I need to add as many add ons as possible so my business keeps busy.

I am not sure about this I would like to think I could.

I did find it hard to start with and I still get excited if I have a new client booked in. I am now finding people extending the time between appointments due to money reasons which is a bit scary.
Judy this is a fantastic thread hun :hug:

In a years time I would like to teach more and be able to leave my salon and be confident the money is still coming in
I dont class hobbiest as my compitition as it is not the same working from home/mobile than working in a salon, I'm not saying better or worse but you need both/more experience.
Very few of us do a few days in salon and the rest at home as it is hard to build a business if your not there 100% of the time.

I teach so I know that x amount more techs are entering the industry but only a few from each class ever really go on to be hugely successful, many fall to the wayside just working at home or on there friends.
I dont go 9 mths without attending a class and I would like to sculpt more or learn Danne medipedi's or hot stones for the winter

I BELIEVE I can be a gr8 Tech, and believe I bring something to others lives, I study hard, spent alot of money which paid off in the end however hard it was at the time, I also genuinely learnt form every experience good or bad, I never really struggled as I put 100% into everything and was honest with my capabilites, Some peeps do not think nails are a luxury they r just part of their personal grooming and a neccessity like going to the dentist

Ultimately I would like to donote some of my time to Sociological projets, I studied sociology and am still interested in Youth developement so would like to offer young people a chance to learn a skill that they can use to further themselves and I believe nails is just that. they dont need a table nor wax pot just a file and some polish. so hopefully i will get closer to that goal.

Are you saying that a technician who works at home or mobile should be classed as a 'hobbyist'
I thought a hobbyist would be someone who does a quickie el cheapo nail course and then claims to 'Do Nails' or someone who does the nails of their friends and family only.
I work from my home but don't consider myself to be a hobbyist.

Well I will be starting rentng a space in a hair salon in about 4 weeks time (for nails only), so my priorities have changed a little. In a years time I hope to still be in the salon, but to have moved into the beauty room (currently a store room) and possibly be looking into employ an nvq student.

I don't see hobbiests as competition (by this I mean people who take a 1 day course and think they are qualified enough to 'do nails' without any further or ongoing training), nor do I see the NSS that has just opened as competition. At the end of the day, my clients come to me because I produce quality sets of nails.

As far as nails in concerned, i'd like to progress with EzFlow Indermediate courses for L+P, and do the conversion courses for gel and fibreglass, so that in af ew years I can progress to masters.

One thing I know for definate is that I don't ever want to close my business and go back to working for 'a supermarket'.

Where do you see yourself in 1 years time professionally? owning my own salon
Would you like to work in a salon/mobile/from home? already work from home and soon to set up a summerhouse at back of house to use as a salon
Would you like to own a salon? yes
Would you like to become an educator?too early in the industry for me maybe by the time i'm 50 tho, i would like to be an eductator for one or two of the nail companies that lack eductators in the norfolk area
Or are you happy as you are?yes i am happy to carry on training
Do you feel as though the "hobbyist type" techs are taking your business away? Especially at the prices they offer.....I don't see this as a problem for me in my area although it is happening (and was stopped). People aren't stupid ,i display all my qualifications and my clients know they are getting a therapist with experiance and knowledge than the ones that don't have any qualifications and reputation built on word of mouth.

Do you class these techs as competition? Or merely glance at them and think "here today..gone tomorrow" as a lot of them are. Definately Not competition as such but defiantly a pain in the rear end! As I said knowledge,experience and reputation is a good tool, if your good the other certainly doesn't get a look in.

What courses are you planning on taking to further yourself? at the moment i am re-training in Nail enhancements of gelacrylicfibreglassform sculpting then booking conversion courses with CND & Ezflow to start after christmas and i would like a conversion with NSI .I'm also booking Tantrick tanning training(with one of the geeks on the site) then onto learning reflexology and reiki..so got my work cut out for next year.
Do you think you offer enough services? yes at the moment
What about add ons? Do you offer any? soon offering airbrush nail art ,spray tanning,reflexology and the Thai manicure and pedicure range.

Would you go back to college and do your teaching courses?I probably would give this some thought later on in my life ..but not sure
Or are you thinking "WHAT THE HELL.....I've had it with this malarkey and am going to work in Marks and Spencer etc" No i'm giving my new found skills a damn good go..it's not easy but this is a money making industry..i'm sticking with this one as i'm enjoying it.
Do you find it hard to build up a client base and this make you disheartened? no i'm doing fine so far,just a nice number of clients every week or so.
Or is it the fact that a lot of people find your services as an extra they can afford atm? not an extra but it's convieniant for most of my clients as they don't have to jump on a bus or go into the city.

This is a really good thread which i have enjoyed reading and replying to

Are you saying that a technician who works at home or mobile should be classed as a 'hobbyist'
I thought a hobbyist would be someone who does a quickie el cheapo nail course and then claims to 'Do Nails' or someone who does the nails of their friends and family only.
I work from my home but don't consider myself to be a hobbyist.

No hun that's certainly not what is implied in the thread.
Many nail techs have fantastic businesses working mobile and at home.:hug:

Another question??
I personally think it's a lot of hobby techs that destroy our credibility to the unknowing general public and give nail techs a bad rep.
Someone once tried to poach a client from me (quite openly in front of X) when I was there...she said "oh you're the one who does X nails?? I'm a nail tech too...but I have a proper job in the daytime!!":irked:
I kept my cool and my face straight and said "oh where did you study your A&P and product chemistry? What systems do you use? "
She said "ermmm I just did a course one day....What's A&P mean and why do you need to know about chemistry??"
Guess who looked stupid?
I know it sounds like I was being a b*tch but I think I had every right:)
But even the client said "how many people must say this to you? it must really get on your nerves after all the training and work you've done"
And I have to say it does.
And I see it getting worse tbh.
But can we do anything about it??

Super TPTW Judy :)

Where do you see yourself in 1 years time professionally? Similar to where I am now.. I am really starting to reap the rewards from all the hard work I have put in to building my business.
Would you like to work in a salon/mobile/from home? I do work from home and plan to stay at home for the foreseeable future anyway, it works for me :)
Would you like to own a salon? I do currently... be it a home salon, I have invested a hell of a lot of money into training and equipment and products.
Would you like to become an educator? This is my aim in the short term future yes... I would love to become an educator now I feel my skills are at an appropriate level. I have enrolled to do the 7303 and this will be the first steps to my goal :)
Or are you happy as you are? There is always something to strive for ... I am at that age where time is short and I want to do as much in whats left of my working life as possible.
Do you feel as though the "hobbyist type" techs are taking your business away? Especially at the prices they offer..... Not that i have noticed in my area. I don't mind competition, I offer a service and I get a particular clientelle that enjoys what I have to offer on a one2one personal treatment in a quite, un hurried environment. It seems to bring them back to me anyway. :)

Do you class these techs as competition? Or merely glance at them and think "here today..gone tomorrow" as a lot of them are. I don't give them much throught at all really... I am too busy with getting on with my own life to worry about their's .

What courses are you planning on taking to further yourself? This year 7303.
Do you think you offer enough services? Yes... I don't want to offer anything else now apart from the education.

Would you go back to college and do your teaching courses? As mentioned above as a start.

Or are you thinking "WHAT THE HELL.....I've had it with this malarkey and am going to work in Marks and Spencer etc" No way.. I LOVE my work and my salon.
Or is it the fact that a lot of people find our services as an extra they can ill afford atm? I am quiet some weeks.. and busier others.. but it all fits in with the scheme of things.

:hug:

Last edited:
Where do you see yourself in 1 years time professionally? In my own salon
Would you like to work in a salon/mobile/from home? I will be salon based in about 2-3 weeks time, mobile is too much hassle for me :)
Would you like to own a salon? Yes
Would you like to become an educator? Some day.........
Or are you happy as you are? I could be happier, I need more education fixes!
Do you feel as though the "hobbyist type" techs are taking your business away? Especially at the prices they offer..... No, here today, gone tomorrow, I mop up their mess :)

Do you class these techs as competition? Or merely glance at them and think "here today..gone tomorrow" as a lot of them are. See above answer :)

What courses are you planning on taking to further yourself? I'm booked onto the Creative foundation L&P course at the end of August. I also want to take a course with either Andy (Axiom) or Kim to further my waxing and then take stock after this, maybe more beauty side, brow & eyelash tints, facials etc. Baby massage is something I would like to do.
Do you think you offer enough services? Not at the moment, but I'm working on it
What about add ons? Do you offer any? I will be offering retail products on my spray tanning line but more once I do my nails

Would you go back to college and do your teaching courses? Yes. Unless I could do it with a company rather than at college
Or are you thinking "WHAT THE HELL.....I've had it with this malarkey and am going to work in Marks and Spencer etc" I've worked in McDonalds. Never again!
Do you hard to build up a client base and this make you disheartened? I'm new but as has been said before, I've worked in places where you have to build a base. It will be difficult but perseverence never killed anyone :)
Or is it the fact that a lot of people find our services as an extra they can ill afford atm? Some will not be able to come as regular as either you or they would like but there are still a lot who can and will

I'm glad because I'm almost a bit of both :)

By the way, are there any Geeks who were in business in the last economic downturn? What did you all think then? Or maybe this is something for a different thread altogether? xx

Latest posts

Back