Trick or Treaters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you give treats to Trick or Treaters?

• Yes, I always give treats

Votes: 206 66.5%
  • No, I ignore the doorbell

Votes: 87 28.1%
  • I do something different

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
Ok - I give in for being an old misey - I usually get sweets but nobody came here last year as we are on the main road and only lived here a year. So I didn't get any last night. When the doorbell rang we didn't answer - coz I had nothing to give (like I'm gonna part with my own secret stash of choccie to some kid in a mask!!)
Anyway got up this morning to find egg all over my white front door and side window......... So egg on my face!!

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but the whole idea of Halloween and trick or treating irritates me no end. My 11 yr old puts me under great preasure to go out trick or treating, and I always say, "No". She has attended a Halloween party at a friends house but it was tightly controlled by the parents, However, last evening she went to a small party at our neighbours where the kids were mostly 7/8 yr olds and they were going to be allowed to watch a 'Chucky' movie. I ask you? My daughter only has to look at a picture of him and she really freaks. She came back home instead, thank goodness. Also, one year we were away on holliday over Halloween and had eggs and flour thrown at our door because nobody answered. Sorry, but it just p----s me off!

Sassy Hassy said:
We live in a village called Funtley!

Ah ok, thought it was some weird group or something! - lol:o

Mrs.Clooney said:
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but the whole idea of Halloween and trick or treating irritates me no end. My 11 yr old puts me under great preasure to go out trick or treating, and I always say, "No". She has attended a Halloween party at a friends house but it was tightly controlled by the parents, However, last evening she went to a small party at our neighbours where the kids were mostly 7/8 yr olds and they were going to be allowed to watch a 'Chucky' movie. I ask you? My daughter only has to look at a picture of him and she really freaks. She came back home instead, thank goodness. Also, one year we were away on holliday over Halloween and had eggs and flour thrown at our door because nobody answered. Sorry, but it just p----s me off!

I know what you mean about the scary films - a babysitter once let my step daughter watch The excorist when she was 7 years old - she was terrified for weeks - and wasn't it the Chuckie film that inspired those boys to kill the toddler Jamie Bulger? If they still beieve in santa and the tooth fairy, they shouldn't be watching horror films. ( I still believe, so I don't watch them)

When we lived in Preston it was good because we knew all the local kiddies (they all adored Alex - he had a little fan club!) so Al carved pumpkin lanterns and put them in the window and we had sweets for them. I don't mind doing it if you know the local children but I hate random strangers coming to the door, and the idea of 'tricking' winds me up no end, it's basically vandalism but they think they can get away with it because it's Hallowe'en. Not to be a misery guts but it's the same old idea of something for nothing - you expect sweets and treats from strangers just because it's a certain date, and throw a paddy if you don't get them!

I went trick or treating one year in America and I couldn't believe the amount of food and decorations that were out - huuuuge bowls of sweets outside the door and front gardens decked out like graveyards. It was so over the top! I have to admit I've had a craving for candy corn ever since, though... :D

Hi all

We had a party for my daughter (6 years) and 6 of her friends, we took all 7 girls out trick or treating and then came back to ours for party games and food. Was a really good night and the girls loved trick or treating.

The one thing that I didn't like though was how some people had porch lights on, but still didn't answer the door. My husband pointed out that some people just aren't in to it (rather diplomatic i though for a man !!), but it just annoyed me because the girls were disappointed if no one answered the door, but when people did answer the doors it was lovely, the girls were nice and polite and the people generally seemed pleased to see them having a good time, they all got commented on for their costumes.

One thing to say though - we did split them into two groups, I took one lot and my hubby took the other lot to separate houses, thought 7 girls at one door is too much for anyone to cope with !!.

NailsNovice said:
Hi all
The one thing that I didn't like though was how some people had porch lights on, but still didn't answer the door. My husband pointed out that some people just aren't in to it (rather diplomatic i though for a man !!), but it just annoyed me because the girls were disappointed if no one answered the door, but when people did answer the doors it was lovely, the girls were nice and polite and the people generally seemed pleased to see them having a good time, they all got commented on for their costumes.

It's really great that your kids were so well supervised, many of them are, but doesn't the home owner have a right to leave their porch lights on? perhaps someone in the family was due to arrive home and the light is left on for this reason? The point I am trying to make gently here, is that I realise that the children get disappointed, but people resident in their homes who do not join in Halloween get irritated by the constant disturbances and some feel obligated to give sweets to protect their homes from being vandalised. I know I have done this for this reason.

I'm right of halloween now (Yes i know it's over now too!)

Last night 3 kids came to our door, we knew them from school & when i went out later my really scary pumkin which was hanging in my empty hanging basket had been ripped down off the wall together with the hanging basket, which was ripped out of the wall and the pumkin broken to bits:evil: !!!
They have a cheek to come for sweets and break your stuff on the way out too. My next door neighbours pumkin was trashed too, & silly string over all cars in street! NO more halloween for me!:(

We know who did it but what can you say to the parents, we have to prove it! the child in question kicked the back light out of my car a few years ago and he's only 10 now! Parents are wasters too.

Well my street is really quiet so we never get any trick or treaters but, I have to ask seeing as youre all talking about the giving/getting of sweets...
Do any of you actually say 'Trick' when you open the door? If so what sort of tricks have you had?
I just wondered cos though I enjoyed seeing the kids dressed up as I drove home yesterday evening I couldnt help but wonder how many peeps are actually a little nervous of getting a bit of nasty treatment on their own doorsteps so feel obliged to give sweets/money.

Luckily we didn't, and haven't had any trouble like that, thankfully. Halloween has actually become a major thing over here now hasn't it? My husband took the kids out last night. I am quite happy handing out sweets to the children, but no way do i want to go trick or treating as it just feels like begging to me!

The best sweets my boys got was a latex glove filled with jelly then tied at the top. gross but really clever.
I was really annoyed though cos a neighbour took my two eldest trick or treating and back to hers for a party in exchange for me babysitting her littlest one. She let them watch nightmare on elm street!!!! My eldest is 8 and my middle one is 5!! NOT ON.... Im soo pi**ed off. I told her i wasnt pleased and she said thats what halloween is all about.
The boys didnt seem upset and there were no nightmares, but still, thats not the point. Thats waaaaayyy under the age restriction for that film.

Glorsclaws said:
Well my street is really quiet so we never get any trick or treaters but, I have to ask seeing as youre all talking about the giving/getting of sweets...
Do any of you actually say 'Trick' when you open the door? If so what sort of tricks have you had?
I just wondered cos though I enjoyed seeing the kids dressed up as I drove home yesterday evening I couldnt help but wonder how many peeps are actually a little nervous of getting a bit of nasty treatment on their own doorsteps so feel obliged to give sweets/money.
This goes along with what I said on an earlier post. I have only ever given sweets out for fear of being targeted by vandals. If you run out of sweets or don't have any anyway then one feels pressured into giving money. Kids eat so much junk nowadays anyway and Halloween is just another excuse to down loads of E numbers. Plus it comes at a time of year when it is closely followed by fireworks.

We live in the middle of nowhere so we don't get trick or treaters but....

The came on my sisters street last week and when they were leaving each house they put a key down the side of each car!

Its very sad that it turns into a night for some to run riot.

I agree that people should be able to not answer the door if they wish, but at the time when you see upset kids, it just gets to you a bit.

Admittedly, we went out with the girls, and left our lights on at home (plus 3 lit pumpkins at the door), so anyone who called while we were out will have thought we were right misery's !!!

No one comes to my house its too spooky:Scared: :Scared: :sad:

We also don't have the tradicion of trick or treating here, but last year some kids came asking. Well, i was kind of sad having nothing to give them, so this year i bought some mini cocholate bars to give them if they came round. I had only one group of kids, they were so happy i had candies. Nobody else had give them anything. If i'd know that noone else would come, i would of given them all of the candy!

I hate to sound like a party pooper, but i don't actually like halloween myself. I have had some horrid experiences from having dog poo put through the letter box to some fire crackers shoved through.

I never open the door on this night and my little girl isn't allowed to go trick or treating either. She did go to her school halloween disco dressed as a skeleton and i painted her face as she hated wearing the mask. Funny thing was, she was frightenened of her own reflection in the mirror at first.:D She picked what i painted on her face though. Eeryone thought it was really good too.

We live in a really rural area and never get any trick or treaters, so I can ignore the doorbell without having it ring!

i let the dog out!!!!!

he's 110lbs white and furry!... you should see the little buggers run!! he he he!!! not that i'm evil or anything! but we don't get trick or treaters under the age of 16 near us and they should get a job and buy their own bloody sweets!!! humphh!

Hiya ...my kids went to neighbors and friends...thenonto a party...they loved it and got loads of stuff...apart from at one house...thid guy came out..batchelor type with no idea ...gave them all 2 grapes each....lol..my kids faces where a picture...if you scare easy then don't look...xxx

Latest posts

Back