Trouble with file and buffer cleanliness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chic*digits

Reaction score
My problem is that in school I was taught that you either never reuse files and buffers or else you get ones that you can disinfect. Well my problem is that I started to rent a table in a salon and it was the general opinion that I was being wasteful because I bought a bunch of files and buffers to just use once then throw away because I thought it would be easier. Well now I just started working in a salon that provides it's own supplies for me and I work off of commision, though the salon owner was surprised when I asked if I would be able to toss each one after I was done. She said no because that would be too costly. And I agree, it does seem wasteful and not exactly environmentally friendly. So I wanted to kind of get all of your opinions on what works best for you. Is it safe to just scrub them down afterwords with an antibacterial soap and air dry?
The salon is really nice, and not one that seems like it would cut corners in an unsafe way. Even the professional supply stores didn't really get it when I would mention what I do.
I don't want to put my clients at risk for bacterias and fungus, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. :confused:

Hi there

Just read your post with interest regarding re using files and buffers. I can sort of understand what your salon owner means when saying that the "once only" use is wasteful, and Ive no doubt they are nothing but professional, but files cost pennies and can be built in to the cost of the treatment. It is a nice gesture when after working with a client to then give the file to the client to use at home. Trouble is when reusing files on different clients is that any hint of a fungal nail infection (sometimes difficult to recognise particularly at the initial onset) may spread to client's other nails and worse other clients nails. By using the single file use and checking for contra-indications ensures good hygenic practices and no cross-infection. Buffers are slightly more expensive but should be used with the same hygenic standards.

Hope this helps

June

Each of my clients has their own files, buffers and orange sticks, and are kept in their own personal box so that each time they come back, they are using the same stuff. I never swap between clients and after each client I clean and sanitize with a hospital grade disinfectant in a sterilizing container. This is how I was taught in school and I would have it no other way!

:)

I always reuse my files, after each client i spray with mundo file and abrasive disinfectant spray hth x

i reuse mine too and also use mundo file spray,
Posted via Mobile Device

There is no way id just throw my files out each time...I understand it is the safest option but I think if you dont use them on too many different clients...you spray them thoroughly between each client and scrub them at the end of the day then the risks are so minimal imo...its alright if your files are really cheap then yeah chuck em but I will use up to 3 different grit files and 2 different buffers just for one service....so its not a case of just chucking a few pennies worth! x

I agree with the others. I reuse mine too (also using the Mundo file and abrasive disinfectant spray).

When I get a new client, I always advise them of the procedure with my files and give them the opportunity to purchase their own which I can keep seperate for only them. Some buy and some don't but the offer is there at least. hth

I reuse my files as well, also using the Mundo file and abrasive spray xx

I have sealed envelopes for each client with their own files in it. I only disinfect/toss the file if they have some sort of infection or an open cut etc. I find this seriously extends the life of my files, so it equals out the cost of providing new files and envelopes to each client. You do end up with a bunch of envelopes/files for people you don't see again though, so if I haven't seen the client in 6 months or so, I take their file out and disinfect it to reuse. I find clients really like to see a fresh file. But I like the idea about the client being offered to purchase it or not. I never thought about that, might have to do it :p

I re use mine and spray before each client and after each client with nsi sanitize spray. i spray both our hands everything thats metal and the files and buffers..

Surely if there was any hint of a fungal nail infection/ any contra-indication you would ask the client to seek medical advice and come back when it is sorted? I use file disinfectant and re-use mine. Especially when i sometimes use up to 4 files on one client.x:)

Hello - where do you buy this Mundo spray? and how much

Lisa

I also use the mundo file and abrasive spray, which you can buy from Sweet Squared - 0845 210 6060

If a client has an open cut or anything like that, i will always throw the file away, never use on another client.

HTH x

Thank you for the input! I'm for sure going to get a couple bottles of that Mundo spray. I had never heard of it before. It will help tremendously! I'm only doing manicures and pedicures at the moment, so the files and buffers are barely used when I'm done with each client. Thanks! :green:

My problem is that in school I was taught that you either never reuse files and buffers or else you get ones that you can disinfect. Well my problem is that I started to rent a table in a salon and it was the general opinion that I was being wasteful because I bought a bunch of files and buffers to just use once then throw away because I thought it would be easier. Well now I just started working in a salon that provides it's own supplies for me and I work off of commision, though the salon owner was surprised when I asked if I would be able to toss each one after I was done. She said no because that would be too costly. And I agree, it does seem wasteful and not exactly environmentally friendly. So I wanted to kind of get all of your opinions on what works best for you. Is it safe to just scrub them down afterwords with an antibacterial soap and air dry?
The salon is really nice, and not one that seems like it would cut corners in an unsafe way. Even the professional supply stores didn't really get it when I would mention what I do.
I don't want to put my clients at risk for bacterias and fungus, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. :confused:

You should really sanitize the files between clients. This can be very easy. Just spray them with a disinfectant (Sanitize from NSI) is one, and allow them to dry (about 10 minutes). Don't wipe them dry...They need to sit with the spray on them and dry naturally to really get sanitized. You could then just ask for a couple of different sets and alternate between clients (use one set, spray and let sit while using the other set for the next client).

Hi Backscratchers do a septifile which is a plastic file handle and you then stick the file to that use then throw away after use they come in 100 grit, 180 grit, 240 grit, 600 grit, white buffer and smooth buffer you can get them on BeverlyBeaute. :)

Yes, like most of the others I too use the Mundo file and abrasive disinfectant spray after and before all treatments as well as disinfectent/sterilizer gels etc. on mine and my clients hands. :lol:

Hi Backscratchers do a septifile which is a plastic file handle and you then stick the file to that use then throw away after use they come in 100 grit, 180 grit, 240 grit, 600 grit, white buffer and smooth buffer you can get them on BeverlyBeaute. :)

That reminds me- Bio Sculpture also do a multifile now which is also similar to that mentioned by Annebet where you add the different file heads and throw away after use.:)

Mundo spray for me too.

Latest posts

Back