Troubleshooting brazilian wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essentia

Reaction score
Hi I have done the brazilian training and previously used hot wax. I did my first brazilian - went well did it in 40 mins but the second one I did I ran into problems with wax clumps. This was on the front not underneath (the labia bit went great). The hair was prolific and quite dark and dense. I did trim the hair as well. The other problem was it took forever! Do I use warm wax here and get the bulk of it off to save time or do I do in 2 sessions. Any advice please! :confused:

I use a combination of warm and hot wax for brazilians however, if the hair is 'prolific and dense' I would probably just stick to the hot wax.

Two reasons I can think of, as to why it may have clumped..

Did you apply oil underneath the wax? and secondly, were you trying to flick up the edge of the wax in an area that was still hairy?

It's hard to explain, but if you work from the underneath first, i.e. clear the undercarriage first, then every strip you flick up should have its flicking edge on clean hair-free skin :)

I find I can take anything from 15-20 mins to an hour to do a brazilian and definitely when I started it was an hour and a quarter. Practice will improve your speed :hug:

Hi I did apply oil but I think that where the hair was so dense it may not have got through to the skin. I did correct this for the other side and it went better. The last strip clumped and I think I could not have left a big enough end for me to flick it back. Thanks for that - it is so embarrassing sending a client home with a bottle of wax remover!!!!:)

If there are little bits of hot wax remaining on the skin, rather than pick them off you could apply warm wax over the top and whip them off with a strip?

When I started doing brazilians I used to get in a right sweat over them and often had a headache at the end, but now it's one of my favourite treatments.

Did your wax go brittle?

That's a good idea - I never thought of putting warm wax and a strip on top. The wax was not brittle but soft - may have over applied. I think I am really going to like doing them too once I feel I have got any problems out of the way! I only charge a small fee whilst I am improving but I did not charge her at all as I took so long this time! :)

If you need a model you know where I am!

That's a good idea - I never thought of putting warm wax and a strip on top. The wax was not brittle but soft - may have over applied. I think I am really going to like doing them too once I feel I have got any problems out of the way! I only charge a small fee whilst I am improving but I did not charge her at all as I took so long this time! :)

I hate it when this happens! It happens more in the summer but also sometimes the client is very hot (sometimes through nerves) and sometimes the room is simply too hot and the wax seems to take forever to set up. I turn the heating down and sometimes even throw a window open!

Keep practising... some clients are always going to be a challenge :green:

Yes the room was very hot towards the end - I will bear that in mind next time. Thanks for all the tips. Calla I will take you up on that! will pm you.
Many thanks:hug:

Make sure that you apply pressure when applying the wax, so that your spatula is pressing against the skin and not just the hair.

Always apply beyond the hair at both ends. Always stretch the skin when applying and removing the wax.

What wax are you using?

Hi I am using Gigi hot wax. It is strange but when I think of it - it occurred in exactly the same place on either side....

I really have got a feeling it's your pressure...........especially now you've said that. I see it a lot with my trainees; they reach the same point and reduce pressure. Make sure that you ignore the hair and imagine applying the wax to the skin so that you've got a nice firm application.

Do you start applying your wax above where the hair start growing and apply one long strip, right beyond where the hair ends? Then remove in firm shorts burst of about 2" but make sure that your stretch the skin and just keep going, even if your client finds it painful. By the time you've stopped, held their hand, asked if they're ok and apologised (never do that), you could have got the entire strip off and asked them if they saw Eastenders last night. Believe me, they'll thank you in the long run. Be confident. xxx

Last edited:
My strips were not as long as you describe - I thought perhaps I was making them too big and cut them down a bit. I will keep an eye on the pressure as the hair was much denser in the areas I had probs with. Will try your advice. Many thanks x

Do you start applying your wax above where the hair start growing and apply one long strip, right beyond where the hair ends? Then remove in firm shorts burst of about 2" but make sure that your stretch the skin and just keep going, even if your client finds it painful. By the time you've stopped, held their hand, asked if they're ok and apologised (never do that), you could have got the entire strip off and asked them if they saw Eastenders last night. Believe me, they'll thank you in the long run. Be confident. xxx

As one of Kim's clients, I can safely say that the above is absolutely correct! :) (and now i know what your up to when you ask me about eastenders Kim!).. confidence is the key. I was originally taught to apply hot wax in small patches, but the long patches does work, as long as you remove in the bursts Kim has said about!

(Kim... i'm saving up to come on your course! :hug:)

Good luck with your waxing! as Zo Zo said, you'll always get the odd client that throws you for six, but just keep going!

My strips were not as long as you describe - I thought perhaps I was making them too big and cut them down a bit. I will keep an eye on the pressure as the hair was much denser in the areas I had probs with. Will try your advice. Many thanks x

You can always call me if you want me to talk you through it. Number on my site. xxx

Thanks for all the advice and tips guys. I will see how I get on - may book Kim's course as well to boost confidence. :)

Hi Spoke to Kim today and got some great advice. I was taught to do small strips but I will try the long strips on the pubic mound as Kim suggested. Cannot wait 'til I get my next willing victim!!

Thanks to you Kim x

Hi there,
I am new to waxing ... reading some of these treads i don;t think my "brazillian" training was quite.. well as good as it could be... Can I use the hot/hard wax for the whole brazillian?.... Sometimes I find it hard to find where to start....
If I start under and work up is that ok?... one side at a time and then do the bum?... god the more I read the more stressed I seem to be getting... I have already done one girl and she re booked... told me that it was better than the last one.... god knows what she went thru last time poor little girl...

Hi Mdskora I know you feel right now but it does become clearer. I think no matter what you train in it is the starting point only. After my training and talking to Kim and buying a Brazilian DVD I feel much more confident as you learn your own style. Some things I was told on my training had not sunk in for a couple of goes - so keeping reading up on it. Yes you can use hard wax for all the brazilian and do not be afraid to experiment with the range of hot waxes on offer - what works for one may not for another. keep practising and I am sure it will fall into place. :)

I'd love feedback on hard wax for the brazilian waxing area. I have tried the hard wax and didn't care for it. I have recently bought some hard wax and will try that for facial hair and bikini/brazilian waxing.

Latest posts

Back