Using a butter knife for waxing????????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
just watched drinking with girls programme on bbc 3, and the lady was being waxed with what I can only describe as a butter knife!? is there something for waxing that resembles this ? or is she really using a butter knife? lol xx

I use metal spatulas for wax and yes they do look like butter knives!
I got mine from Thalgo. It's mush easier to apply the wax and get it nice and thin :)

Kim lawless uses metal spatulas to.

Am intrigued now (I know it's a bit off topic, sorry). How do metal spatulas differ from wooden ones, apart from the obvious that is?

I don't do waxing, but my wax therapists have always used wooden spatulas. Are there any main advantages?

Am intrigued now (I know it's a bit off topic, sorry). How do metal spatulas differ from wooden ones, apart from the obvious that is?

I don't do waxing, but my wax therapists have always used wooden spatulas. Are there any main advantages?

I'm intrigued to Karen.

Well for one they are reusable so will save you money in the long run.
With a metal spatula when you use the edge it is much sharper so it goes on better and thinner.
Try one-you will be hooked!

Hi,
I don't use metal spatulas, but probably will get one at some time. I use wooden and the plastic one I got with Berins wax.
But when on holiday in Goa, Yes the lady DID use an ordinary kitchen butter knife on my sister in law........I was amazed.......told her she should of let me wax her before she went away:lol:
x x :hug: x x

i love metal spatulas they are the best.

i got mine out of a bakery shop :) they are soooo good

xxxxxx

OMG i know your talking about using metal spatuala but had to mention this....

One of my clients went to another therapist (because she was so cheap) for her leg wax. This therapist worked from home and when my client arrived she had to sit and watch someone else getting there eyebrows threaded. When it was her turn she was abot worried that someone was going to walk in but the thrapist did actually lock the door for her!Anyway the therapist went off to get the wax whilst my client got ready and returned with a old coffee mug off wax and a kitchen knife!! i couldnt beleive it when she told me!! it would never even cross my mind to use a kitchen knife!!!

Some people!!!!!!!

This may sound thick but what about the re-dipping in the pot issue? (and where do you get the metal spatulas from?) or as mentioned do you just buy a butter knife?!

Thanks
Amanda :)

I'm also curious! How do you clean metal spatulas?

when I trained last year - I was strongly told that re-dipping was proper wrong and therefore wooden, disposable spatulas are the only way forward.

Yes - I might use as many as 30 on a back and neck - but even with the lovely beautyexpress.com round cornered (comfier) sticks costing as much as £1:05 for a pack of 100 - it only costs me 36p in stock to keep my wax sterile. Even if I was to buy the square cornered ones at £0.75 a pack (in bulk) 30 only cost me 26p. For some guys - I might use up to 50! oooh!

At £30 for a back shoulders and neckline - I feel I'm not being extravagent. Have I got my maths wrong? :eek: My calculator tells me business model supports this cost.

I'm sure this is an old chestnut on this forum! A thousand apologies in advance :):) x

Hi
I trained with Kim and she used metal spatulas and I thought they were great. I bought mine from TK Max but you can get the all metal ones in Asda very cheap and work just as well.

when I trained last year - I was strongly told that re-dipping was proper wrong and therefore wooden, disposable spatulas are the only way forward.

Yes - I might use as many as 30 on a back and neck - but even with the lovely beautyexpress.com round cornered (comfier) sticks costing as much as £1:05 for a pack of 100 - it only costs me 36p in stock to keep my wax sterile. Even if I was to buy the square cornered ones at £0.75 a pack (in bulk) 30 only cost me 26p. For some guys - I might use up to 50! oooh!

At £30 for a back shoulders and neckline - I feel I'm not being extravagent. Have I got my maths wrong? :eek: My calculator tells me business model supports this cost.

I'm sure this is an old chestnut on this forum! A thousand apologies in advance :):) x

I can totally see why a metal knife would give a lovely application BUT I don't think that my clients would like it, and it's not a risk I'm prepared to take. I agree with Jason that the cost of wooden spats is not even a consideration. Psychologically, whether or not we are spreading germs - and let's assume we are not - I think the client likes to see a fresh spatula being used and then binned. Jmho as always peeps.

as a quick P.S. - I always tell new customers that it's 'regulations' and explain why. I feel that this communication with customers is essential in retention and rebooks.

I was a model for a friend doing waxing at a local college a couple of weeks back and she re-dipped.

Just reading this post out of interest as I have never done waxing, How easy is it to catch, or be infected by having a wax done ? obviously you would use sanitized equipment for each client ?

Thank goodness it wasn't a steak knife:eek: :lol::lol:

ha ha colin ure mental! xx:lol:

I just passed my waxing course at college and we were only told to use new spatulas if the client had bled at all, sometimes this happens kinda freaked me out but apparently its a good sign that the hair has come out well and is more common in 1st timers. I'm guessing metal spatula would be cleaned with wax remover then sanatised? xx

Last edited:
Just reading this post out of interest as I have never done waxing, How easy is it to catch, or be infected by having a wax done ? obviously you would use sanitized equipment for each client ?

When you double dip the wax that goes on your client never makes it back into the pot so it's hardly likely to catch anything.
If anyone has any confirmed reports of anyone catching anything then i'd be very surprised!

Latest posts

Back