Vinylux-Is anyone experiencing problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manda Panda

Reaction score
Hiya. Just wanted to ask if any of you are experiencing any problems with Vinylux or is it only us?

We have been using it since it's launch and we are really impressed however I have a few concerns and wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same issues, if so how have you corrected them.

Firstly. When painting toes we have found that the colour doesn't cover very well and also shows any ridges on the big toes.

Secondly. Within a matter of a few days clients big toes chip, always on the inside corner on the big toes on all clients.

Finally. A few colours don't seem to give full coverage.

We have been following PEP, scrub fresh and applied two thin coats of colour followed by a generous coat of Top Coat(glided on) then waited 8.5 mins and completed with Solar Oil.

I am wanting to invest in the full salon collection but am slightly worried it may be an expensive investment if we cant resolve these issues.

Have you tried it with the smoothing gel on toe nails with ridges? I'm sure I read in one of the threads that Vinylux doesn't like nails with ridges, but can't find where it was! :eek:

In terms of coverage, it is most likely your application, I found the first 2 or 3 times I applied Vinylux I was having to do 3 coats, but it was because I was applying it too thin.

Your first colour coat wants to be thin but the second abit thicker x

I personally would not apply solar oil at 8 1/2 mins. That could be the problem. I take 8 1/2 mins as a minimum drying time. If for example vinylux was applied slightly thicker then I would have thought the drying time may be a little longer. I have been having fantastic success with vinylux. I don't put solar oil on but I guess the client could do it themselves at home

Regarding ridges, yes this is a known factor and smoothing gel is the answer. However I find applying slightly thicker and perhaps 3 coats solves this most of the time.

I wouldn't have thought solar oil would be a problem as oil helps to dry polish doesn't it ? Xx

I also apply 3 coats where needed, and probably a little thicker than recommended, or buff the nail slightly (I can hear everyone tutting from here - but toe nails!!!). At the end of the day, it's not going to give Shellac like coverage, and with a normal varnish you would only use a ridgefiller basecoat which isn't always great anyway.

After a few days i have also applied a layer of grapefruit sparkle over the top coat and applied another layer of top coat and all dried and stayed on well!

But had to laugh tho - painted hollywood on and after about 5 days I have a little chip on the inside corner of one big toe!!!

You have to remember that Vinylux is polish, it won't be the same as Shellac on toes especially when the toenails are ridged/uneven etc.

If the natural nail isn't great you need to partner Vinylux with Brisa Lite Smoothing or consider if the client may be better suited to Shellac which does help with those slightly bumpy toenails!

It's absolutely fine to use Solar Oil after 8.5 minutes, or the Solar Speed Spray would be good too. You know when Vinylux is dry, as long as you aren't using half a bottle which would take a bit longer to dry then!! I have had it on my nails for over three weeks and its perfect, and that was with no prep and a very fast application.

Issues with wear on corner of nail could be a few things - rub off from footwear, poor natural nails...

We do use BL Smoothing gel and I have considered using this but obviously our cost would need to increase and our regular pedicure clients wouldn't want to pay any more. We have always used another brand for years and our polish on toes lasted perfect for months!
I have tried three coats and also tried applying thicker.we will just have to wait and see how we get on on over the next few weeks before I invest further.

Has anybody-else noticed staining from vinylux?
So far I have worn hot pop pink and tropix and both times i have noticed my nails to appeared stained after removing... little bit worried as i have been using on clients assuring them that it doesn't require a base coat etc etc...

So far I have worn hot pop pink and tropix and both times i have noticed my nails to appeared stained after removing... little bit worried as i have been using on clients assuring them that it doesn't require a base coat etc etc...

Try removing it like you would a glitter polish. IE hold the cotton gauze / pad over the area for a god few seconds before rubbing it off?

I have done that... It all removed easily but my nails have a bit of a reddy tinge to them still, almost as if they look sore, hard to describe really. Just concerned if this is what happens with tropix then worried about colours like fedora....

I read somewhere that If your nails are porous, you'll get some staining.

At the risk of sounding dense, Aren't nails porus anyway? Hence the swelling / absorption of water , and the ability to absorb moisturisers and oils etc?

This was my main concern when it was launched as a no base coat system?

Am hoping they will launch a clearly pink kind if shade!

I have to say though I've had no issues with staining as yet and I've been using the strong colours.

Yes, I've had staining also after wearing Rogue Red. I scrubbed my nails with acetone afterwards and it still stained. I finally used a white buffer to get rid of it.

Hiya,
I have now had two cases of bubbling under the two coats of colour vinylux on toenails.

Have followed pep with scrubfresh and lint free pad and once i have painted the first layer of colour it has bubbled, the second coat has covered it slightly better and the top coat went on well.

I have seen one set i did the following day and the bubbling seemed not so bad but was still visible, i was using tinted love (an amazing colour by the way)

You are not able to feel the bubbling with the top coat applied.

looking for any similar experiences or hints any tips to stop this happening, as i think this product is great and love the few colours i have already invested in.

xx :D

Hiya,
I have now had two cases of bubbling under the two coats of colour vinylux on toenails.

Have followed pep with scrubfresh and lint free pad and once i have painted the first layer of colour it has bubbled, the second coat has covered it slightly better and the top coat went on well.

I have seen one set i did the following day and the bubbling seemed not so bad but was still visible, i was using tinted love (an amazing colour by the way)

You are not able to feel the bubbling with the top coat applied.

looking for any similar experiences or hints any tips to stop this happening, as i think this product is great and love the few colours i have already invested in.

xx :D

I've had the bubbling issue also, but it seems as if it's only the top coat. I've had it happen on 2 occasions. I posted it in a thread and the response I got was that there were contaminants on my nail bed like small pieces of lint. I feel that if there were pieces of lint there, I would have noticed them before applying the top coat. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe my top coat is contaminated?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I've had the bubbling issue also, but it seems as if it's only the top coat. I've had it happen on 2 occasions. I posted it in a thread and the response I got was that there were contaminants on my nail bed like small pieces of lint. I feel that if there were pieces of lint there, I would have noticed them before applying the top coat. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe my top coat is contaminated?

Thanks Devonnaydf for the response, i was wondering if it was lint, I did find a small piece when i was painting but oddly not on the worst affected nail.

I have had this happen before a long time ago with some Clarins Nail polish, but never really got to the bottom of it. I wonder if it has something to do with the pep of the nail and there being some sort of contaminant on the nail, its annoying me as I know my clients won't be impressed if a don't solve it quick. Another thing i have thought of trying is scrubfresh, light nail buff to smooth the surface, re-scrubfresh then paint. This is because i wondered if the surface of the nail might be slight rough from the cuticle pusher??

I am going to try the above tonight on my own toes. One foot with single scrubfresh, the other foot with scrubfresh buff and re-scrubfresh just to see if it makes a difference.

I have had a couple of issues.

When I first got Vinylux it did not stay on my nails at all and kept on chipping away. This of course was my own fault as I did not have scrub fresh. Now that I have scrub fresh it is just fantastic. I LOVE IT!! :Love:

I've noticed also when I apply top coat, sometimes the brush leaves little gaps on the nail as if it's pulling the colour but it's not. However I get past this problem by loading up my brush with lotsss of topcoat.

I think the main thing with Vinylux is getting the technique just right. Once you have that down then you're good to go!

Thanks Devonnaydf for the response, i was wondering if it was lint, I did find a small piece when i was painting but oddly not on the worst affected nail.

I have had this happen before a long time ago with some Clarins Nail polish, but never really got to the bottom of it. I wonder if it has something to do with the pep of the nail and there being some sort of contaminant on the nail, its annoying me as I know my clients won't be impressed if a don't solve it quick. Another thing i have thought of trying is scrubfresh, light nail buff to smooth the surface, re-scrubfresh then paint. This is because i wondered if the surface of the nail might be slight rough from the cuticle pusher??

I am going to try the above tonight on my own toes. One foot with single scrubfresh, the other foot with scrubfresh buff and re-scrubfresh just to see if it makes a difference.

I purchased a new bottle of top coat, hopefully I won't get any more bubbles.

Yes!! Phew- I thought I was the only one!

I've had really bad staining from Decadence. It was so bad, I had to have them repainted to cover it up!
This time I've got Romantique on as a base coat (of sorts)

Latest posts

Back