Voucher and closed business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainelola

Reaction score
I've closed my business. Things were very quiet. People wanting something for nothing all the time and quite honestly I was fed up of working from home.

Anyway I gave a voucher for manicure as a raffle prize and woman is booked in for Monday. Should I honour the voucher? My room is such a mess with me packing bits up.

What would you do if it were you?
X

I've closed my business. Things were very quiet. People wanting something for nothing all the time and quite honestly I was fed up of working from home.

Anyway I gave a voucher for manicure as a raffle prize and woman is booked in for Monday. Should I honour the voucher? My room is such a mess with me packing bits up.

What would you do if it were you?
X

I would do it. Otherwise what will you say to her?

Part of me feels I should do it but that's been my problem always booking clients in to suit them and not my diary. Friends wanting things cheaper. Clients ringing up for this weeks offer.
I'm just fed up. I've had 3 hyos in 2 days (I'm diabetic) and so washed out. I would definitely do it if the face value of the voucher had been paid.
I suppose I just don't want anything to do with beauty any more.

This is so sad to read, why do u feel like this?

What about if you worked in a salon where you could turn up and then go home a bit more stress free?

I would personally honour the voucher and do the treatment!

Have you really thought about the closing down side long and hard? It's a shame when you put so much effort in xx

Part of me feels I should do it but that's been my problem always booking clients in to suit them and not my diary. Friends wanting things cheaper. Clients ringing up for this weeks offer.
I'm just fed up. I've had 3 hyos in 2 days (I'm diabetic) and so washed out. I would definitely do it if the face value of the voucher had been paid.
I suppose I just don't want anything to do with beauty any more.

Oh honey that's such a shame! You have to be so strict when booking people in though, stick to your opening hours and friends should be prepared to pay the full price.
Are you absolutely sure?

I think I would honour the voucher though. Especially if it was a charity raffle.
Rhiannon x

I've spent so much time and money on training and products. My income was just covering new bits and bobs. It's so hard working from home. Hubby is a copper and so I would try and work around his shifts. Not having people in the house when he was sleeping during the day because of night work.

I just need to do something else. If i can find part time work then I may carry on with a bit of beauty just shellac and waxing. I would need to be more ruthless and business like though. No mates rates for starters.

So sorry to hear this - your room looks so lovely too (if that's the one in your avatar). I hope you find a way of working that suits you and if you do carry on then definitely no mates rates and be ruthless with your diary - big, black lines though the days you don't want to work so you can't rub them out and fit people in. Hugs to you x

U definitely need to be a bit tougher and not be a push over for frinds and family. Tell them that this is how you earn a living and you cant afford to give them freebies or huge discounts.

Set a Friends and Family discount that you are comfortable with and that suits you. Then let your friends and family choose if thats good enough for them. To be honest, if its not and the get their back up, they are not proper friends.

With regards to other clientel, set standards that are fair, treat each customer the same regardless of loyalty (I tend to try to treat everyone like a loyal client anyway so it works for me......however sometimes wish I hadnt lol).

Once everyone knows the rules, you will filter out the people trying to suck ou dry for a cheap deal and you will be left with loyal, valueable clients! ~(Hopefully)

Hope this helps

Yes that is my room. It's actually even nicer looking than that now. Think I'm just feeling really sorry for myself no money blah blah blah. No doubt I'll pick myself up. Working from home on your own can be very lonely, without someone to refer something to. Thank goodness for salongeek.

Thank you all for your encouragement. Xxx

So sorry to hear about the business, and also that you've been unwell.

As to your question: if you are well enough I think you definitely need to honour it. It sounds like she's already booked in, and the fact that it's on Monday means you can get it over and done with.

I'm mobile, going to my client's houses, I'm finding that my client's actually expect to pay more for their treatments than I charge, and they are only 2 family members that get freebies, as they helped financially at the beginning, and certain mates get discounts cos they put up with me practicing on them, other than that they pay full price because it's my business. It's hard going, and I'm fairly bored now of never having enough money, paying out everything I earn for replacement products and petrol and stuff, but I love my job, I don't answer to anyone and I fit my clients in to suit me, after all, they will appreciate you're good at what you so if they think you're that busy, and it's your life and business, fit people in around you. I know you're fed up, because it sounds like you're working for everyone else and not yourself, that needs to change. I hope you rethink your business and remember why you went into beauty in the first place, it's tough, but worth it in the long run.. Good luck. Xxx

It is a shame to read this. I felt the same about the beauty industry a few years back, was sick of the freebies, bargain hunters and constantly lowering my prices to suit clients I was 'friendly' with. I left the industry but now I am back with a vengance, strictly business, new name, new image, new prices which I am rigid with. The only people that get 'freebies' are my MIL and SIL as they help me out a lot with the kids. And do you want to know what, I am doing better than ever.

Could you not try a relaunch, new name, new pricelist etc to give you your va va voom back? Stick to when you want to work, you don't need to explain that its round your hubby etc, just tell them you are fully booked that day but you have an appointment on xx day at xx time.

Chin up and good luck whatever you decide xx

sorry to hear this, it's such a shame you're feeling like this.

for what it's worth I take my hat off to anyone who has the bravery to go self employed. i think it is a brave move in the sense that it's a challenge of the unknown with regards to how much money you'll make and exactly how hard it will be to get client's through the door. I guess what I'm saying is please don't be hard on yourself because I think that anyone who makes a go of being self employed deserves complete and utter respect and admiration.

Whatever you do, I hope it makes you feel happy and healthy in the long run, that seems like the most important thing right now. I suspect that instinctively, you'll know what makes you happy and I guess it sounds like a break will come as a relief to you right now, especially in how you sound like you're really not looking forward to this manicure on Monday (which I would do by the way, if only for old times sake, it might even inspire you)

Whatever happens, I hope it works out for you because it must have took a lot for you to get to a point where you now feel like this *hugs*

I'll honour it for you. Call her, explain the situation and I'll do her manicure for you. For free.
Chin up - you know where I am if you want to talk.
:)

I'll honour it for you. Call her, explain the situation and I'll do her manicure for you. For free.

That is the nicest thing I have ever read on SG! :Love:

Lynne, what a lovely gesture, no wonder you are where you are today, respect to you x

from Debbie's HTC Sense

What a fabulously kind offer Lynne. Good on you!

xx

What a lovely offer.

Annie xx

What an absolute sweetie you are Lynne (has brought a tear to my eye, ignore me, has been an emotional year!).

Don't give up. I feel exactly the same sometimes. Said I would spend money on advertising and although got quite a few regulars have realised it is a waste of time. September is a funny old month isn't it. Week to week is so different when you're building up a client base. Started out this week with two clients but ended up with seven which is better than nothing!

It is tough, I feel like I just earn enough to get by, even though I still try and get some hours / money working in a spa casually too but I too love this job and wouldn't give up.

I was going to ask if someone could do it for you. So this is perfect! Well done Lynne.

Lorraine - I am really sorry to hear you want to give up. Maybe have a break? Keep all your stuff so you can change your mind. And yes, waxing and shellac may be the way to go!

Latest posts

Back