Voucher and closed business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lynne you are an angel on earth and anyone who has got to know me knows how much I love angels.

I have decided to just do the manicure on Monday though and I'm ok once I get going. I seem to have lost my confidence and I think part of that is lack of clients.

I do need to be more assertive and say no when I can't do an appointment. I've already contacted inland revenue to stop my NI payments. But we now pay 3 months in arrears so I'm still paying until dec. I suppose I can just contact them and say I'm working again.

I did everything correctly from day one and ran the business professionally. I need some confidence. I've done short courses for my treatments but started beauty therapy levels 1,2 and 3 for the theory side of things. I passed level 1 with distinction and have nearly finished level 2.

I love shellac and my clients loved it but none of them are what I would call real regulars. Some come monthly but trying to get them to come every 2 weeks is a headache. I had one client who bought her own stuff off eBay so she could do it herself and save money. It wasn't shellac I hasten to add.

My room is clean and professional and so am I but my confidence has really been knocked. And I need money to pay bills. I loved my business name and stationery so wouldn't want to change that.

Do any other home salon owners ever feel lonely with no one to refer things too?
Xxx

Reading your post I think everyone feels for you :hug: However it would be a shame to give up. Why not have a break for a while and relaunch. Display set hours and give yourself breaks in between clients. I do not know how long you have been doing this but it does take some time to build up and subconsciously clients can pick up whether we feel unsure or negative about ourselves. Perhaps a short assertiveness course would help. Do you have a website? I find that the best for advertising.

Do any other home salon owners ever feel lonely with no one to refer things too?
Xxx

In answer to your question - Yes! Totally! Until I built up a regular client list I was always saying to my husband that I really ought to go and get a 'proper job'. It can be so difficult and so lonely at times but on the plus side where else can you get a job where you choose your hours to fit in round home life / children etc.

One thing I did was find a local therapist to swap treatments with. Not only does that mean I got regular treatments but it's someone you can talk to about your business - highs, lows, worries, funny stories etc. It makes you feel not so alone.

Also, I used to carry way to much stock. I was always buying this and buying that. I started really looking at what I was buying and only re-stocking when I had half a bottle left. I also kept a list of every treatment I did and what I bought for it so I could see if I was breaking even on treatments. It was all really little things but it made me feel in control again and suddenly I was making a profit.

Could you give yourself a few weeks to re-focus and then re-launch. If you have the products in then it won't cost you anything. You're obviously good at what you do and professional so even if you just concentrate on one or two treatments you've nothing to lose.

Whatever you decide to do I really hope you get that confidence back. Good luck!

Hi Lorraine,
I am very new to salon geek, which i think is great by the way!

this is my first post but thought be brave & offer support, i am in the process of doing up my room from home so haven't started advertising yet, i sometimes think will i like people coming to my home as it can be a bit intrusive, it must be harder for you with hubby working nights.

anyway just wanted to say that i used to have a salon before i had twins 9 years ago, & the therapists working there 1 full time & 1 part time were always trying to steal clients so that can be quite lonely as you can't really trust them, so decided to sell up as hard work with little ones as well.
I hope you dont fully give up as i know it can take at least couple of years to get really busy & that wasn't in a salon from home.

if you ever feel like talking to someone & ever go to southampton (i know its not that near but just thought i'd offer) let me know & we could meet for coffee & chat Angela. :hug:

Ladies
I have been quite overwhelmed with the support. But that's what I love about salongeek. So many of us read threads and think yes I've felt like that or that has happened to me and sometimes it's just good to have a moan. I know we are all professionals but sometimes you just need to get stuff off your chest and 'natter' amongst likewise people.

I did the shellac and it was for an ex student who I used to teach. We had so much to catch up on. Her nails were literally perfect and a pleasure to do. She chose red baroness and her hands looked gorgeous.

After coming on here to see comments on my thread I've decided to keep going. I do have a job interview tomorrow as a health care assistant on the children's ward at the local hospital. They are looking for someone nursery nurse trained which I am. I have always been drawn to health care.

I've had 3 interviews but each time the jobs have gone to an existing HCA.

I know confidence is my problem re beauty and I believe that is from doing just day/weekend courses. In the past I've always defended these courses but I think nothing beats actually going to college and learning or even doing the fast track courses but working in a salon to gain the experience. I can't remember the last time I did lashes and am now nervous of doing them again. Oh I need to get a grip lol and beat myself with a stick.

If I get the job I will still do my beauty I've decided that and that is thanks to all of you who have encouraged me. Just reading your replies has given me some strength. I am so so grateful to you.

I am and will continue to be The Nail & Beauty Angel.

Thank you and I will contact you personally when I get on my laptop. I can't get to grips with this phone sometimes
Xxx

Ladies
I have been quite overwhelmed with the support. But that's what I love about salongeek. So many of us read threads and think yes I've felt like that or that has happened to me and sometimes it's just good to have a moan. I know we are all professionals but sometimes you just need to get stuff off your chest and 'natter' amongst likewise people.

I did the shellac and it was for an ex student who I used to teach. We had so much to catch up on. Her nails were literally perfect and a pleasure to do. She chose red baroness and her hands looked gorgeous.

After coming on here to see comments on my thread I've decided to keep going. I do have a job interview tomorrow as a health care assistant on the children's ward at the local hospital. They are looking for someone nursery nurse trained which I am. I have always been drawn to health care.

I've had 3 interviews but each time the jobs have gone to an existing HCA.

I know confidence is my problem re beauty and I believe that is from doing just day/weekend courses. In the past I've always defended these courses but I think nothing beats actually going to college and learning or even doing the fast track courses but working in a salon to gain the experience. I can't remember the last time I did lashes and am now nervous of doing them again. Oh I need to get a grip lol and beat myself with a stick.

If I get the job I will still do my beauty I've decided that and that is thanks to all of you who have encouraged me. Just reading your replies has given me some strength. I am so so grateful to you.

Thank you and I will contact you personally when I get on my laptop. I can't get to grips with this phone sometimes
Xxx

Aww that's great to hear!
Good luck with the interview tomorrow and remember to be strict when booking people in for beauty :)
Rhiannon x

Glad your feeling more positive, and wishing you loads of luck tomorrow.

Annie xx

Ladies
I have been quite overwhelmed with the support. But that's what I love about salongeek.

Xxx

Geekland can really warm the cockles of your heart sometimes.

That is brilliant news! I just popped back on to see what you'd decided to do and am so pleased you're carrying on. Good luck with the interview tomorrow (I think - lol) xx

Geekland can really warm the cockles of your heart sometimes.

No Sarah, I think you'll find that's age related incontinence. Sorry.

Good luck with the job, I'm happy you decided you could go through with the manicure! Take care xxxx

Well done honey! Your brave an inspiration to use all, we have low moments and feel like giving up sometimes but you just need support and we are here!

Good luck with interview sweetie! Glad you did the manicure xxx

what a lovely thread :hug:
got me all emotional, must be the exhaustion from the past 7 days!!

Salongeek and the people on it are so supportive. Its just so lovely that we all support each other.

By the way I got the job. Received a call this afternoon. I'm so chuffed. I'll be working on the children's ward. I will still keep my beauty business going.

I've no idea why my font has suddenly changed :eek: Or is it just my eyes?:confused:

Big hugs to all geeks out there. I hope I can offer you support and encouragement if and when you need it any time.
Lorraine xxx

Congratulations Lorraine on getting the job and for not giving up when the going gets tough! I'm new on SG but have been running my own beauty/holistic salon for 8yrs, first from within a Leisure Centre then moved back home 3 yrs ago when things got tough financially so completely get where you're coming from re being lonely, intrusive etc. If I can help in anyway with regard to marketing using your website (which isn't showing up by the way if its the Nail and Beauty Angel, Tadley), using Facebook, Twitter etc to get more clients pls just shout, I'd be happy to help x

Congrats Lorraine! I'm so pleased for u! It disheartens me when I see threads from fellow geeks saying they are going to give up! I'm so glad u have decided to keep going even if it is only part time! I've only just started up on my own as a complete newbie to fit around my girls, but in contrast to my last job, it's so refreshing!!! Xxx

Latest posts

Back