Want to learn waxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahdewsnap

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am a newbie on here and aswel on waxing well i havnt started yet! i was hoping someone could tell me wherei can learn the waxing technique i live in south yorkshire. has any body gone on one of these training courses where you learn in a few days or is it a waste of money!

i also want to go mobile but how do you go on with the wax? i thought it took a long time to melt so would i need to melt at home before i go to a clients house??? sorry if i sound dumb but i am really new to this just starting to look at different training oppurtunities within the industry!

sarah xx:lol:

Picasso's in Wakefield offer waxing courses,
a lot of mobile techs use the roller wax system,
this heats up really quickly and less chance of spillage in the car hth :hug:

I'l be running courses in Yorkshire so email me if you'd like details of my courses. xxx

Hiya! Some people may disagree here but to be honest i totally dont agree with these few day courses. I dont see how you can learn it all properly and be confident in just a few days. At least if your course is longer, if you encounter any problems/questions then your tutor will be on hand to help you. It will be a waste of money if it isnt accredited.
Why dont you look into a course at college where you could cover it in a few months?
I heat my wax up in the car on the way with an adapter that plugs into my car.So that is never a problem. You can also get water soluble wax that you heat in the microwave. I dont like this personally and you have to be very carefull but you may want to give it a go and see if you like it
xxx

Hiya! Some people may disagree here but to be honest i totally dont agree with these few day courses. I dont see how you can learn it all properly and be confident in just a few days. At least if your course is longer, if you encounter any problems/questions then your tutor will be on hand to help you. It will be a waste of money if it isnt accredited.
Why dont you look into a course at college where you could cover it in a few months?

I agree with Kylieb that you must do an accredited beginners course or you won't be able to get insured.

I also agree that you cannot learn to wax properly on a 1 day course, but it's a good start. I've done a lot of research on this subject and the overwhelming view was that students would prefer to pay less and start of with a one day course, and then to do extra training when they could afford it and more importantly, when they felt ready to move on.......and IF they wanted to move on. After all, waxing may not be for them.

I've trained a lot of people who studied waxing over a couple of years at college and they still couldn't wax, so I don't really think it's quantity that's imprtant, but quality. xxx

Both of the courses that have been recommended are accredited,
i didn't realise kim was due to come to Yorkshire, she runs great courses for waxing, hth, :hug:

I agree with Kylieb that you must do an accredited beginners course or you won't be able to get insured.

I also agree that you cannot learn to wax properly on a 1 day course, but it's a good start. I've done a lot of research on this subject and the overwhelming view was that students would prefer to pay less and start of with a one day course, and then to do extra training when they could afford it and more importantly, when they felt ready to move on.......and IF they wanted to move on. After all, waxing may not be for them.

I've trained a lot of people who studied waxing over a couple of years at college and they still couldn't wax, so I don't really think it's quantity that's imprtant, but quality. xxx

I totally agree with Kim... :confused:

I started out with a one day course and I continued on a full time beauty course that covered waxing within its syllabus. My confidence grew with practical experience over a few years of working within my salon and then advanced waxing training with very modern teaching professionals. At college I was more confident and skilled than any of the other students and possibly the tutor come to that.

One day courses certainly have their place, it all depends who is teaching them and what the student takes away with them from it. Longer college courses also have their place, but many colleges could do with up dating to more modern thinking where waxing is concerned as many are still teaching outdated methods, mine was still teaching traditional hot wax and the use of talc!!! :irked:

I heat my wax up in the car on the way with an adapter that plugs into my car.So that is never a problem. You can also get water soluble wax that you heat in the microwave. I dont like this personally and you have to be very carefull but you may want to give it a go and see if you like it
xxx

I agree to.

I have to say though if you do go down the college route ask about the tutors, How much experience have they in beauty therapy? How long have they been teaching, do they/did they work in salons beforehand etc etc. Actually this applys to short courses to. Many of the tutors on short courses don't have much experience and aren't required to have an nvq or equivalant.

I think the main advantage with college is that you aren't just shown once then do a quick practical session before being sent on your way as with short courses. You will do each treatment lots of times before then having an assessment on each area on different clients. The tutor is on hand to help you and by far the best incentive is that you haven't got to pay for the wax, couch roll, gloves, etc for each client !

Both of the courses that have been recommended are accredited,
i didn't realise kim was due to come to Yorkshire, she runs great courses for waxing, hth, :hug:

Sorry Lou, I wasn't referring to anything or anyone in partciular :hug:

Never for one min thought you were hun,
i was letting kylie know that both were accredited :hug:
where in yorkshire are you going to be ?

Never for one min thought you were hun,
i was letting kylie know that both were accredited :hug:
where in yorkshire are you going to be ?

Er......Your place? LOL

Trying to find a training centre but even with the internet, things aren't always that easy eh. Do you know of anywhere? xxx

thanks everyone for helping me out on this one! i do now think theres a place for both college training and the short courses, i am enrolling at college for next september but thats ages away! so i am gonna do a short course in the meantime!

sarah x

Sorry kim i have only just seen your reply,
let me know when you need a room and if i don't have anything booked you are welcome to use my salon if you need to love :hug:
just send me a PM xxx

Hi hun, personally i beleive for a complete beginner college is your best route, as you will cover a good base of theory as well as practical. Then i would go on to do advanced training.

I learnt so much from college and my waxing skills were good, although i did still lack confidence. But armed with the knowledge and the skill, i went on a one day course and now i am in seventh heaven. My clients love me and hope in jan to begin my teacher training to become an accredited trainer but working in colleges rather than private. But may begin the private root.

Good luck with your course hun in sep u will love it and then book in with kim or one of the berins trainers and u will also reap the benefits xxxx:hug:

Hi everyone i am a newbie on here and aswel on waxing well i havnt started yet! i was hoping someone could tell me wherei can learn the waxing technique i live in south yorkshire. has any body gone on one of these training courses where you learn in a few days or is it a waste of money!

i also want to go mobile but how do you go on with the wax? i thought it took a long time to melt so would i need to melt at home before i go to a clients house??? sorry if i sound dumb but i am really new to this just starting to look at different training oppurtunities within the industry!

sarah xx:lol:

Hi Sarah

Just seen you thread dont know if you can get anything like we offer in the north as our academy is in South but it may save you some money and also learn more beauty treatments but our academy have got funding through train to gain to teach the full Level 2 Beauty therapy NVQ course that includes waxing, Nail Extensions, Manicure, Pedicure, eyelash tinting and eyelash perming & Facials. Our courses are run on part-time level evening, weekends or one day a week for 10 weeks to cover the units and then you go out and practice to cover your ranges and when you feel ready come back to be assessed. You have a work book that you go through depending on how much practice you get it is possible to complete the NVQ in about 16 weeks part-time and it is fully funded through Train to Gain critea is you have no other NVQ 2 in hair and beauty and you are over 19? Dont know if that helps but may save you pennies and get a recognised qualification let me know if I can Help PM me

Sarah

Do you know if there is a training course like this being ran in Central Scotland??

I have training in different parts of beauty but would love to complete a full course. college takes too long as I want to learn it all nowas I am impatient And going private costs too much.

Thanks,
catherine

Latest posts

Back