Warning! Fake emails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17597

Reaction score
I have just recieved an email from natwest bank saying my account has been terminated as my online access code did not match!!!
It says to click on link to amend details, when you do this it takes you through to a natwest site that asks for your details: name, Mothers maiden name, BANK CARD NUMBER!!! and some more security questions.:mad:
This is a scam and there are several doing the rounds at the moment, i have also recieved one from e-gold asking for basically the same thing. i have even recieved one from paypal! They were all FAKE!!:mad:
Please be aware, as they look genuine.
Remember: A real bank would never ask for details by email and ask you to click a link. They would also address the email by your name and NOT Dear Customer, But some fake emails do address by name.
I am sure most of you are aware of this and know not to give details out but i wanted to bring it to your attention as there are a few going about.
Saying that if i had have been a natwest customer and clicked link and gave my details the most they could have done is pay off my overdraft :).
xxx

Its so rife now isnt it? Its a good thread, I think we all need reminding about this from time to time.

Personally I dont do any internet banking or financial matters, that way I'm never in any doubt if its genuine. Ok, so my husband looks at me as if I'm from the dark ages and keeps telling me how convenient it is, but I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing where my money is thanks!

Plus, I like to speak to people, not machines. I think that the more of us that resort to doing all our dealings over the internet, the more peoples jobs are at stake because they dont need so many people at the end of the phone any more

this has been going on for ages now
i have had these from banks i dont bank with too idiots
its just scary that there may be people not too aware of fake emails and send their details off
how do these people sleep at night???????

You can usually tell the fake ones from banks, as they are so poorly done with spelling and gramatical errors and poor copies of the bank's logo.

However, like Bettyboo, I've had a couple from Paypal which I almost believed. They were very well done. I did click on the link once and it showed in the bottom bar that it wasn't taking me to a Paypal site. If you do get any, report them by forwarding them to Paypal at [email protected] Never go directly to a bank site or Paypal through a link like this. Close the window down and enter the real link by using favourites or by typing the address into the bar at the top.

Definitely be aware of these fake emails, but also make sure your virus guard and firewall are uptodate and do a virus scan every few days.
We recently had someone hack into our computer, take over hubbys internet banking and drain us of all our savings and leave us with a £5000 overdraft to deal with. This all happened overnight about 2 weeks ago.
Luckily the bank refunded all our savings etc, nbut it has been a complete nightmare as they had to suspend all our accounts and open new ones.
That's 1xCurrent account, 2xSavings accounts and 2x Savings accounts for each of the 3 children. As it was close to the end of the months I also had to call 21 different companies and charities to give them our new direct debit details.:eek::rolleyes::grr:
It pays to stay vigilant.

i have had some of these emails i dont even do net banking yet i have had emails from halifax natwest and the abbey and to which i dont bank with any of them!!!

Thank you hun. :hug:

this has been going on for ages now
i have had these from banks i dont bank with too idiots
its just scary that there may be people not too aware of fake emails and send their details off
how do these people sleep at night???????

Thats what has happened to me, of all the ones i have recieved only the paypal one i actually have an account with.

I'm guessing they send out millions of emails knowing that at least 5% will reach a customer that has account with the bank in question. But that 5% will be profitable. Makes me so mad. :mad::mad:

I have reported it, as well as the others. But in the last two weeks i have recieved 3 scam emails from different so called banks.

Of all of them the paypal one looked spot on, i exited email went on to paypal account myself and there was no problem.

The emails are basically the same, they work on panicking the customer by saying you have to respond immediatly or your account will be terminated/suspended. They are clever cause i hadn't used my paypal account in ages and within half hour of using it i recieved the email.

Definitely be aware of these fake emails, but also make sure your virus guard and firewall are uptodate and do a virus scan every few days.
We recently had someone hack into our computer, take over hubbys internet banking and drain us of all our savings and leave us with a £5000 overdraft to deal with. This all happened overnight about 2 weeks ago.
Luckily the bank refunded all our savings etc, nbut it has been a complete nightmare as they had to suspend all our accounts and open new ones.
That's 1xCurrent account, 2xSavings accounts and 2x Savings accounts for each of the 3 children. As it was close to the end of the months I also had to call 21 different companies and charities to give them our new direct debit details.:eek::rolleyes::grr:
It pays to stay vigilant.

God what a nightmare. Sorry to hear that happened to you. :hug:

I constantly get emails from Abbey National and I've never been an Abbey customer - I just delete them without opening them!

This is the con's way of making a living.......but he is making our lives a living hell........GET A JOB you $%^&*&^%£$%...............thanks for the warning....

I bank online because it is easier for me.....i check my bank everyday and if something new is there ,i ask hubby ,if he does not know i call or pop in the bank.....

I have never had anything go missing or fraud on my bank...(THANK GOD)......xx

There are some terrible stories!!! I got a fake one from 'ABBEY' The other day, but I am aware of these bogus emails thanks to Abbey always having warnings up on their site! People HAVE got to be more aware of these cons that go on!!

ANY email supposedly from a bank or building society is a scam - they do not contact customers via email. If you get one you should forward it to the fraud dept of the revelant bank/building society. That way they can check it out and it also enables them to keep records of numbers etc.

I get about 2 or 3 a day just now I just delete them.
I even got one from Pay Pal but the thing is I don't have an account its in my hubby's name so knew it was a fake.

I remember getting 1 from barclays bank saying my account was at risk etc etc and ineeded to update my details etc. THEN i got another 1 the following day from the exact same email address saying there were reports of phishing emails and could i please update my details by clicking the following link, which was the same as the previous day's email lol. Pretty obvious they were scams, i dont have a barclays bank account!

Guys, forget about trying to see what the emails are about, ie, clicking the links. Most people by now are very aware of these bank scam emails and dont ever enter their login details......but if you click on ANY link in the email, the phishers will know (info is sent back to them via that click) that your email addy is genuine and shortly thereafter you will start receiving even more spam.

If you are online regularly, you should make yourself aware of whats happening on the net, dont wait for it to happen to you. No bank will EVER ask you to email your login details.....thats NEVER!!! So if you receive any email from any bank, simply delete it.

Afraid of online banking? There's not really any need to be, most online banking is very secure and banks take that security very seriously. Just make yourself aware of whats going on elsewhere, forewarned is forearmed.

Latest posts

Back