Waxing bookings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the bit that hurt most was the application, it was so hot and when it was applied in figure of 8, going against the hair was agony. Prefer warm wax anyday! Everyone thinks I'm mad as I was the first one to have bikini done in the class and then went on to underarms. Didnt really bother me that much.

Quite good as when others want bikini or underarms done they come to me, as I have done quite a few at home on friends and in college so feel confident in it.

Thats good that you feel confidant, confidance is so important. Certain types of client can almost smell the fear if you are not confidant!!

Hi there

I use the Clean & Easy roller system also & am finding my times are getting alot better with less mess too:)
Have a nice glass of water before you start & have it handy through out the treatment. It's hard work at first. We're in summer here & its been hot, so I have to rehydrate sometimes to keep going.

We're loving the Pomegranate & chocolate wax atm from Clean & Easy
Choc wax goes with the Vani-t chocolate decadence range & the pomegranate is lush with CND spa mani or spa pedi.
It does get better.......Honest

XX J XX

Thats intresting cuz when it comes to eyebrows i'm the opposite way around! I find it easier to control the roller than the spatula.

Just goes to show how differently we all work!!:)
Yes,I have seen others like using roller for eyebrows as well,for me I feel I can get a much more precise eyebrow shape with a split spatula/orange stick.

I wouldn't trust myself with the roller on an eyebrow,I would be too worried of going over hair that I didn't want to remove,that's just me though,each to their own,what your happy/confident with is what matters eh:)

I always feel nervous when first start but once into it, I'm fine.

My first "real" client in salon college was an eyebrow wax, and the first brow I did in such small sections, but the 2nd I did in one go.

I always feel nervous when first start but once into it, I'm fine.

My first "real" client in salon college was an eyebrow wax, and the first brow I did in such small sections, but the 2nd I did in one go.

My first client in college was a half leg wax, i remember it like it was yesterday cuz it was my first assessment too. It took me forever and i was sooooo scared i got really itchy cuz i was sweating so much!!! Thankfully i don't have that problem anymore!!:lol:

These tutorials should help...

http://www.salongeek.com/misc-tutorials/16284-waxing-waxing-waxing.html?highlight=waxing

http://www.salongeek.com/misc-tutorials/40519-gorilla-warfare.html?highlight=waxing

Ive said it before, ill say it again...

If i wanted to trim bushes id have become a gardener!!

I dont trim the clients hairs before a bikini wax, my regulars dont let the hair get so long it needs to be trimmed and if it is long they know they need to trim it beforehand, they get a better finish if they trim it with their own clippers / trimmer, rather than me doing it with scissors. and no therapist should trim clients hairs with motorised clippers or similar as its unhygienic! theres no way of properly sterilizing them. scissors you can just stick in your barbicide!

I used to dread a full leg wax because it took so long, but now i can do it in about 20 mins. Full leg and hollywood in about 40, depending on the client. Asian clients tend to take alittle longer due to the hair growth being thicker, and more dense. so i allow up to an hour for a full leg and hollywood bikini for them.

just get practicing, as someone has said, a roller system can make t alot quicker for you, as your not dipping your sptula which takes time!

x

no therapist should trim clients hairs with motorised clippers or similar as its unhygienic! theres no way of properly sterilizing them.

Hi Kate - long time no geek :hug:
I disagree with the above statement - why you would need to sterilize clippers/ bikini trimmers? They are not breaking the surface of the skin so disinfection is all thats required. My bikini trimmers have ceramic blades and I cleanse them thoroughly then use Chlorispray. Barbicise doesnt sterilise scissors.

I have had to occassionally trim a clients bikini - usually a first time waxer - and have found that trimmers are a safer, neater and easier way of doing it than sharp scissors which could slip.
KxXx

For a full leg, brazilian, underarm, and eyebrow it takes me 45minutes. I use the old pot and stick method, and I don't trim (unless absolutely necessary).

I also agree with nemotail about using electric trimmers. Hairdressers use them and can properly disinfect... this is no different.

Like the others said, practice, practice and more practice. This is the only way to get any faster :)

Hi Kate - long time no geek :hug:
I disagree with the above statement - why you would need to sterilize clippers/ bikini trimmers? They are not breaking the surface of the skin so disinfection is all thats required. My bikini trimmers have ceramic blades and I cleanse them thoroughly then use Chlorispray. Barbicise doesnt sterilise scissors.

I also agree with nemotail about using electric trimmers. Hairdressers use them and can properly disinfect... this is no different.

Cant say I would want someone to use clippers on my intimate area that have been on someone elses!! Everybody has secretions of bodily fluid, is sanitising enough to get rid of this should it come into contact with the clippers? dont forget, clippers have a far larger surface area in contact with the client than a pair of clippers. Ad no nooks and crannys for germs to harbour. To me, clippers just seem like a breeding ground for nasties, no matter how thorough you are.

Hepitius B is a risk, some people are unaware they have it, and it can be passed through unsterilised tools (that have bodily fluids such as blood, urine, saliva and intimate secretions on them) and even sharing a toothbrush or razor!

Its different with head hair, youd happily touch someones head without gloves on and they dont secrete bodily fluids from the area (at least they shouldnt lol). In just normal conversation you could go "oh wow your hair is gorgeous" then youd touch it! no biggie!

Sorry, i just think its gross.

Id want them autoclaved before they came near me (which isnt possible)!! and the clients bits bloomin chlorisprayed first aswell!! lol. (not possible either lol)

and all those short and curlys floatin around the salon... no thanks!! imagine is one appeared shortly afterwards encased in a lovely set of nails, you could hardly call it nail art could you lol.

Hepitius B is a risk, some people are unaware they have it, and it can be passed through unsterilised tools (that have bodily fluids such as blood, urine, saliva and intimate secretions on them) and even sharing a toothbrush or razor!

and all those short and curlys floatin around the salon... no thanks!! imagine is one appeared shortly afterwards encased in a lovely set of nails, you could hardly call it nail art could you lol.

My understanding is that a good, hospital-grade disinfectant will render the Hep B virus and many other nasties inactive (I believe that chlorhexidine in alcohol, which is essentially what Chrorispray is, will do the job just fine). Plus, Hep B needs a direct transmission route - clippering the hair should not provide such a route unless you plan on carving the skin up, lol! I can understand the "ick" factor, but if the skin is sanitised properly, the clipper blades cleaned after use and followed with a suitable hard-surface disinfectant, I don't see a problem.

As for hairs floating around the salon... thats what brooms and vacuum cleaners are for, lol :D :wink2:

My understanding is that a good, hospital-grade disinfectant will render the Hep B virus and many other nasties inactive (I believe that chlorhexidine in alcohol, which is essentially what Chrorispray is, will do the job just fine). Plus, Hep B needs a direct transmission route - clippering the hair should not provide such a route unless you plan on carving the skin up, lol! I can understand the "ick" factor, but if the skin is sanitised properly, the clipper blades cleaned after use and followed with a suitable hard-surface disinfectant, I don't see a problem.

As for hairs floating around the salon... thats what brooms and vacuum cleaners are for, lol :D :wink2:

I agree with the above and plus surely you are trimming the hair not giving a close shave or there would be nothing left to wax!! Hair dressers have been known to clip the head or the ear and get blood and tissue fluid onto their tools but they clean them and they are then safe again. I trim pubic hair with sissors where necessary as otherwise those "long and curlies" can get matted up with the wax and cause a waxing disaster!! :)

The timings just come with practice x

I'm wary of hijacking Hannah's thread (sorry Hannah!) but I thought I'd go straight to the font of knowledge for all things hygiene-related, and asked Nigel of Mundo Products what he recommended regarding using electric clippers and scissors prior to waxing. This is his reply (I've removed any references to specific Mundo products to avoid Nigel being accused of "advertising", but suffice to say the necessary products are out there!):

marketing-geek said:
Interesting point.

If the clippers 'nick' the skin and come into contact with blood - or any other fluids, then it is essential to thoroughly sterilise/disinfect them.

I doubt these instruments can be autoclaved so you'd have to use a medical grade disinfectant.

If you use combs on the clippers that can be removed, I'd recommend a submersible solution.

This way you know that 100% of the area has been thoroughly disinfected.

If possible (not sure about the electrics on clippers) spray the rest of the blades with a medical grade hard surface spray. If they can't be sprayed use a Medical Grade Hard Surface Wipe.

In such a warm and moist area it is obviously vital to sanitise the skin before hand.

Remember that Hep can remain active on surfaces (like instruments & couches) for several days, so thorough hygiene is essential.

Personally, I'd see using scissors and then immersing them as a 'safer' route - but it all depends just how much you can spray onto the clippers without the risk of electric shock.

Cheers Nigel, you're a star :D

Worth noting for those that do use clippers - you can remove the blades themselves on many clippers designed for professional use in the hairdressing trade, meaning you can thoroughly clean and spray them without any risk to the electronics.

Andy

And just a little information on Hep B

Although relatively rare in the United States, hepatitis B is endemic in parts of Asia where hundreds of millions of individuals may be infected. HBV is transmitted horizontally by blood and blood products and sexual transmission. It is also transmitted vertically from mother to infant in the perinatal period which is a major mode of transmission in regions where hepatitis B is endemic.

Yo are not just going to pass it along by using clippers on someone's pupic hair. And like Andy said, most clippers actually come apart so they disinfect well.

And just a little information on Hep B

Although relatively rare in the United States, hepatitis B is endemic in parts of Asia where hundreds of millions of individuals may be infected. HBV is transmitted horizontally by blood and blood products and sexual transmission. It is also transmitted vertically from mother to infant in the perinatal period which is a major mode of transmission in regions where hepatitis B is endemic.

Yo are not just going to pass it along by using clippers on someone's pupic hair. And like Andy said, most clippers actually come apart so they disinfect well.

It's not just Hep B, but also Hep C can be a concern.

There are an estimated 4 million people infected with Hepatitis C in the United States. Most new cases are among people who inject drugs. According to studies, most people who have injected drugs have Hepatitis C.

Thanks for all this interesting information. I was talking to my tutor today and she says that she uses a bikini trimmer/clippers on no2 for the bikini if it is too long. Interesting how everyone has their different methods.

I wasn't reffering to transmitting something from the clients pubic hair, im talking about body fluids that may be present and get in contact with whatever tools you are using.

But then saying that your spatula touches the client, and goes back in the wax pot. THeres never going to be a completely 100% hygienic way to wax (only roller, which isnt suitable for bikini really. or never dipping your spatula back into the pot!)

I wasn't reffering to transmitting something from the clients pubic hair, im talking about body fluids that may be present and get in contact with whatever tools you are using.

But then saying that your spatula touches the client, and goes back in the wax pot. THeres never going to be a completely 100% hygienic way to wax (only roller, which isnt suitable for bikini really. or never dipping your spatula back into the pot!)

I can successfully do a brazilian and hollywood using roller wax thanku very much!

Didnt say it wasnt possible.

how do you get the roller head in the tight nooks and crannys?

ie, bum (actually in between the cheeks), and the bits on the inside of the labia?

ie, bum (actually in between the cheeks), and the bits on the inside of the labia?

using the right size roller helps, no different to getting a spatula in there, and getting the client to hold and pull where necessary. No magic to it!!!

Nose hair clippers, preferably your husbands :)

Latest posts

Back