waxing children??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would check with my insurance. Then, I would have to be convinced that the kid wants it done and not the mum. Then I would get them both to sign their life away. Finally, if she cried, I wouldn't continue.

I'd say 'Look little girl, if you want to go to school looking like Freddie mercury that's fine, but if you don't, keep bloody still and hold you noise' (joke I promise). :lol:

That is sooooooooooooo funny xxxxxxx

i have to agree with pinkpotions, my daughter is now 13 but she has been doing her legs since she was 10/11. She is quite dark haired like me and she hated her legs being hairy at school with PE and all. I also do her mates legs who is also 13 as she swims 4 times a week.

If they are that embarrased then it seems silly to say you are too young because at 13 they are most def not babies any more.

But obviously as has been said check insurance

Having been that hairy child, thank heaven for waxing- if her hair is bristly and coarse, let alone dark- you have no idea how painful it is to pull on dancing tights and then dance. Every time you move the tights pull all of you hairs, to me it was less painful to be waxed than to dance hairy. I also know where there is a will there is a way. The young lady may shave- loads of cuts and scrapes, possible infection, or she may try a depilatory which may cause chemical burns or at last resort while at a dance camp or competition have some one else (not qualified) do the waxing for her.

As a general rule, no waxing anyone this young is not advised, but not everyone fits the rule. I can honestly say waxing was the best thing that ever happened to my legs (I was 8) now nearly 30 years later I still have hair on my legs, it just isn't as stiff as a boar bristle!!! (not nearly as thick either!)

I was 13 when I first plucked my eyebrows, shaved my legs (found wax a while later) and had my hair coloured and my Mum tried to say once you do it that's it, it's something you have have to keep up forever but I was in a rush, I had a 36C/D bust at 13 and thought It was about time the rest of the beauty regime followed so to speak:confused:!

Wish I had given myself an extra couple of years on that side but on the plus side I also started moisturising then and I am sure it is why at 40 I am literally wrinkle free. I do realise kids are growing up faster these days but in my own opinion it is way too young at 9 and sets a precedent for the child (she would have been in nappies only 6 years or so ago).

My daughter (now 14) started pestering me to be allowed to shave her legs at about
8/9. My response was that she could have them waxed whenever she wanted but she would have to wait until she was 16 (manipulate.......moi...........never).

When she asked if it hurt to get waxed I told her some people thinks it hurts, others don't. Eventually she asked me to do a little patch so she could see what it was like. When I did, she said "Is that it?"

So I waxed her legs.

I think it is a decision to be made by the individual. Lots of different ethnicities are prone to having excessive hair growth and these young girls are more likely to be picked on for being different.

As long as it is covered by your insurance, and the girl can cope with being waxed I don't see a problem with it...................I don't think I could cope with waxing a little girl and her crying, that just seems wrong.

I'd say 'Look little girl, if you want to go to school looking like Freddie mercury that's fine, but if you don't, keep bloody still and hold you noise' (joke I promise). :lol:

Joke my toosh! I've heard all about you! x

I was asked by one of my clients to wax her daughter who is wait for it 7 !! A BIG NO right away and i think 9 is still far too young this little girl was indian and is very hairy on legs and arms and although you feel for them at school kids can be horrible and mean there is just no way i would consider waxing her so i used a mitt i got from boots you just gently rub it over the hairs and it takes them off not as dangerous as shaving for them and at the end of the day gives her the look she was after i know not the ideal way of hair removal but for a 7 year old it seemed the only way untill she reaches an age where she could even begin to stand the pain of a wax!! my youngest wax was a 13yr old and she used to shake and sweat like mad shes 18 now and her hair is much less than it was and she doesnt shake anymore!!! haha.:rolleyes:

Don't forget if you do go ahead to make sure her mum is in the room while you do it for legal reasons. :hug:

ok.....i have polly cystic ovaries which makes me V hairy and im dark so the hairs are very noticable.
this is how i got into waxing as i was so passionate about the fact i hated my hair and it made me feel so self concious.:cry:
i can totally sympathise with this little girl and i would like to say do it, but its again the thing with the insurance but if the insurance is ok and the mother is present i dont see why not......if she can stand the pain!
the other thing that you could suggest to them is to go to the doctors, find out if she has a hormone disorder such as poly cystic ovaries as i know that some doctors will refur them to get lazser hair removal free on the NHS.....although the age thing is coming up again, im not sure if there is a minimum age limit for laser.:rolleyes:
xxx

I'd say it depends on the circumstances, I also being a child who had hairy legs & hit puberty early, (I was the first in my year at primary to wear a bra about age 10), also was always older than my years in many ways, plus being bullied about my hairy legs which i can remember clearly to this day, would say yes I would do it. Sometimes its not a vanity thing its about confidence & who are we to stop this child from being happy. As long as everything is done professionally.

I remember doing exactly what others have said & started shaving them at just before I left primary I think. I haven't the patience to wait to have them waxed as even a days growth bugs the hell out of me & I feel very self conscious. My hair grows really quick I also have polysistic ovaries. I think its harder also when like me you are dark haired. The only thing I wouldn't shave is my arm hair as I shave enough & you gotta stop somewhere, its liveable, does bug me now & again!! But a lot of this stems with bullying. Its not right but its there always will be so if you can help a child I say why not.

If she is very hairy at 9 maybe she has a hormonal problem?

:eek: OMG! Let kids be kids!

I was waxing my own legs a few months ago and my daughter (8) and SON (11) wanted me to do theirs (dont ask!), they pestered and pestered so I put the tiniest amount on each of them, ripped it off and they quickly vacated my bedroom! :green: They haven't asked for any more waxing!

I think its such a shame that children are growing up so much faster than when i was young....the clothes they wear are shocking, i mean what next? spray tans and nail extensions?! when i was 9 i didn't give 2 figs what i looked like, i was probably constantly covered in mud from playing out every day!

Maybe we need to tell our kids a bit more that they are perfect the way they are...........

S x

Surely though this is not about growing up too fast and looking sexy in a short skirt, it is about not being bullied for looking like you are wearing a pair of yeti tights when you have to go swimming or change for P.E. If you saw a child with thick dense hair on their legs you would understand. :hug:

Surely though this is not about growing up too fast and looking sexy in a short skirt, it is about not being bullied for looking like you are wearing a pair of yeti tights when you have to go swimming or change for P.E. If you saw a child with thick dense hair on their legs you would understand. :hug:

i agree,:hug:

waxing a girls legs aged 9 is not sexualising them...of course it isn't.....its about a girl being at that age where she is embarrassed and wants to look like everyone else at school...
If something upsets our children to the point where it is really affecting them then we help, and obviously this girl is desperate enough to have her legs waxed, and her mum is doing what she feels is best and if that is by booking her daughter in...then its right for her and her daughter.

My daughter is 9 and she is fairly hairy, she has dark hair on her upper lip and also has quite dark hairy legs. ATM it isn't bothering her toomuch, but once it does then I will wax them for her.

I think that we are all remembering how things were when we were younger, but things have changed in our childrens bodies now, puberty is happening much earlier and their bodies are growing up before ours did. I totally agree with those who have said that if this is upsetting children and they are being bullied because of it then why make them suffer it when it can be so easily resolved.

i waxed my daughters legs when she was 10 hoping that it would put her off but it had the opposite effect, she was been laughed at as ahe hd hairy legs and felt embarrassed .
i haven't waxed them again but im going to as she has cut herself with razors. Personally i would rather she used a cream. I f your in doubt advise the mother on a kinder method :lol:

I would have no problem waxing young girls legs if parents are in agreement and insurance allows.There's no real harm or consequence in it from a physical point of view if done properly.

How it sexualises them i don't know.Once they get to a certain age, and that age can vary. if hair is bothering them or they are being teased, take it off then its one less worry for them.

I see no problem in removing underarm hair either many girls get it at 11/12.
Waxing is certainly better than shaving and if you catch it as virgin hair and they stick with waxing then chances are it will be extremely fine for good.

Unfortunately we can long for the days of innocence in children who feel no pressure from the beauty and fashion industry until they are at least 14 but those days are gone.

I think that children are growing up too fast now days. I do not agree with children being waxed BUT i would only agree with waxing on children if it was bothering them allot then i would because we all look after our apperance and we like to look good if its bothering the child that much then i think its ok xx

please help

is there a law on age limit for waxing children?

i have a regular clients and her daughter aged 9 is vv hairy and she has asked me to wax her legs. the hair is dark and course.

opinions please.

thank you
Hi !
Children have to have passed puberty (i.e. had their first period) before you can wax them. Check your insurance though you may have to add a clause.

Ellie x

Ohhh just to say i only waxed the girl once!!! and i talked it through with parent saying that if the girl didnt like it i was prepared to stop and not do the rest!! screaming kids are not my thing!!!! defenately not in the salon anyway!!! ohhh and her mums an odd ball to!! x

Latest posts

Back