waxing children??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxlauracrossxx

Reaction score
please help

is there a law on age limit for waxing children?

i have a regular clients and her daughter aged 9 is vv hairy and she has asked me to wax her legs. the hair is dark and course.

opinions please.

thank you

The norm is 16 -but its down to your insurance company so speak to them but there is no way on earth I would wax a 9 year old.

Now I have to say I have thought long and hard about this and I think after speaking to your insurer if they are happy with this then I would wax them. The alternative would be that they may end up shaving or using hair removal cream. I would make sure that they speak to their doctor to make sure that there are no hormonal problems as 9 is young to have such hair growth and ask the doctor if they think it is o.k to wax.

It is very young but if they are really having issues about other people seeing their hair when they change at school or go swimming then you can understand. :hug:

16 is the norm in ireland too. would never ever wax a 9 year old. besides which once you have pulled the first strip the child will probably scream. why cant parents just let children be children. i once had a client who wanted me to do her 9 year old daughters eyebrows. i refused and i could tell be the childs face that she was terrified . besides the fact that her eyebrows were fine. but to cover yourself id refuse.
ciara

please help

i have a regular clients and her daughter aged 9 is vv hairy and she has asked me to wax her legs. the hair is dark and course.

opinions please.

thank you

My opinion is strictly a MOM opinion, since I am only qualified as a nail professional.

I say, ABSOLUTELY NOT! OMG... I would never even consider having my own child waxed at age 9. I don't care how hairy her legs are. She's NINE! I can't imagine what that woman is thinking, or is she???

I could go on and on but I won't. I tend to get a bit carried away (OK...more than a bit) when I see children not being treated like children.

Last edited:
Difficult one really. I'm dead set against the premature sexualisation of children (I have nothing pleasant to say about "princess parties"), but the thought of being bullied by other children if she's really hirsute is not to be trifled with.
What does the little girl want?

Just say no I mean the child is 9 and in my eyes still a baby, I believe the world is going mad :rolleyes:

My Daughter has her brows waxed but shes 12 (tomorrow!). However I think that is because of the job I do, perhaps if I were not a therapist I wouldn't have taken her to a salon until she were a bit older. I do think 9 is a bit too young but having 2 girls I do think girls are becoming more aware of their image at a younger age, I'm not saying I agree but unfortunately its happening. You only have to see how popular pamper parties are for girls at this age. xxx

We have a young girl who is 9 who comes into our salon to have her eyebrows waxed. i dont like doing it and she crys everytime. we have one girl who has her legs waxed and shes 12 but as long as they have a written note by either parent to say we can go ahead its usually fine.

I think if a girl of nine has very dark course hair, I would be recommending hormonal tests by a doctor, as opposed to waxing.

We have a young girl who is 9 who comes into our salon to have her eyebrows waxed. i dont like doing it and she crys everytime. we have one girl who has her legs waxed and shes 12 but as long as they have a written note by either parent to say we can go ahead its usually fine.

:eek: OMG. Why does her mother make her have it done then? And sorry to be blunt but why are you doing it too? Surely making a young girl cry isn't worth the few quid it earns?

This is a tricky one and everyone will have their own preference as is life so heres mine.

I do wax children I do my daughter and have done for over 2 years she was just about 10 when I started, I do her legs and underarms.

She has a Thyroid condition which has caused her to be a bit more hairier than her mates and she felt very unhappy when taking part in swimming and PE so she asked me if I would wax her.

If someone approches me and asks if I am willing to wax anyone under the age of 16 I sit and explain all about the post treatment and after treatment and explain if I do the waxing they have got to follow everything I have said, this normally either scares them off or brings them in. :hug:

No its wrong my girls 11. and i tell her theres plenty of time for waxing ect
injoy your child hood.

Hi I think I agree with Weezie here. Ordinarily I would only wax 13 years + with parental consent. I remember a girl years ago being mortified by her hirsuitism but she was old enough to undergo treatment. It depends on what each person's perception is of being overly hairy is. I think GP referral and if the girl wishes to undergo treatment, I would go ahead. I think the French are ahead of us here as Mothers used to introduce their young daughters to hair removal at beauty salons at an early age! but perhaps as not as young as nine!

Wow this is a thought provoking thread!

I personally have never had this dilemma as i've never had a young girl ask me to treat her so i can't answer through work experience only personal experience.

I myself was an early developer and i used to hate PE to the point of making myself sick to avoid it. I begged my mum to let me wax and she said i was too young (also about 9/10) So i did what most children would do i took my dads razor to diy treat myself and ended up covered in cuts and blood everywhere which my mum was left trying to heal.

I also think it's time for people to open their eyes as children are developing so much faster and getting involved with boys earlier. I myself first had sex at 13!!! I know this is disgusting but i don't regret it, i felt ready, i enjoyed being with my 'boyfriend' we played safe etc etc but yes i know that the very thought of a 13yr old being sexually active makes most people sick.

If 'children' are so unhappy with the hair on their bodies maybe through medical reasons, maybe through early development i think we need to think hard and stop seeing them as babies but more as young impressionable people who need help to love their body so they don't abuse it! If a wax strip makes them more confident and less likely to do something silly for false confidence then i'm all for it!

Okay i've laid my heart on the line for this post and it is just my personal opinion so please don't shoot me down for it. I don't mean to offend.. only enlighten.

xxx

Wow this is a thought provoking thread!

I personally have never had this dilemma as i've never had a young girl ask me to treat her so i can't answer through work experience only personal experience.

I myself was an early developer and i used to hate PE to the point of making myself sick to avoid it. I begged my mum to let me wax and she said i was too young (also about 9/10) So i did what most children would do i took my dads razor to diy treat myself and ended up covered in cuts and blood everywhere which my mum was left trying to heal.

I also think it's time for people to open their eyes as children are developing so much faster and getting involved with boys earlier. I myself first had sex at 13!!! I know this is disgusting but i don't regret it, i felt ready, i enjoyed being with my 'boyfriend' we played safe etc etc but yes i know that the very thought of a 13yr old being sexually active makes most people sick.

If 'children' are so unhappy with the hair on their bodies maybe through medical reasons, maybe through early development i think we need to think hard and stop seeing them as babies but more as young impressionable people who need help to love their body so they don't abuse it! If a wax strip makes them more confident and less likely to do something silly for false confidence then i'm all for it!

Okay i've laid my heart on the line for this post and it is just my personal opinion so please don't shoot me down for it. I don't mean to offend.. only enlighten.

xxx

:hug::hug:
I am so glad you have said all this hun
It is up to the individual whether they wax or not.
Personally I would rather wax and make sure it is done properly rather than say no and the girl to go an cut her self to ribbons with a razor and risk infection and scarring.

In the 2 years I have been waxing my daughter her hair is coming in finer and thinner which alone is a big boost to her confidence.

please help

opinions please.

thank you

You really must consult your insurance company on this. If they will not cover you for this, then you will put yourself and your client at risk by performing the treatment.

As a guide, the Guild insurance policy states that standard beauty treatments, such as waxing, should not be carried out on anyone under the age of 12, unless there are exceptional circumstances for the brokers to consider.

Before you do anything, make sure you are covered.

Well, this is an interesting one!

I've just waxed a regular client's 10 year old daughter. I phoned the insurance company, who siad it was ok by them, then when the girl came with her mum, I got the mum to fill in the client record form and add a note to it to say that she gave consent for her daughter to have the treatment.

The reason I agreed to do this particular child is that first, I know her and her mum very well, I've known them for a few years. I also know that she does a lot of dance and takes part in dance shows, so her legs are out 'on display' a lot. I know that she gets quite upset by her hairy legs and is starting to get picked on because of them. And it was the daughter who first asked about having them waxed, she was in no way pushed into it by her mum.

Children now seem to develop physically at a much younger age than when I was growing up. It seems to be a lot more common for girls to start their periods when they're ten or eleven, so yes, they're going to start having body hair at a much younger age.

I would check with my insurance. Then, I would have to be convinced that the kid wants it done and not the mum. Then I would get them both to sign their life away. Finally, if she cried, I wouldn't continue.

I'd say 'Look little girl, if you want to go to school looking like Freddie mercury that's fine, but if you don't, keep bloody still and hold you noise' (joke I promise). :lol:

i do have some younger clients, i won't wax for under 12's eyebrows i will tweeze a little but like others have said i need to be convinced the child wants it done, better that than teasing for a monobrow.
parents consent and parent present at all treatments etc.... i remember there was a thread like this about spray tanning a while ago, can't remember what i put on that....

also as a mum i would do the same for my girls, both have dark hair and there is no way i will let a razor anywhere near them, as soon as they want their legs done, as long as they are over 12, i'll do it for them x

Latest posts

Back