Waxing eyebrows with hot wax - advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp

Reaction score
Hi all - having never used hot wax on eyebrows can those of you who use this method give me a run down on how to do it?

have a "virgin" set of eyebrows coming to be practiced on next week, thick, bushy, unruly and never been shaped - and yes, it is a girl:)!

She's happy to let me practice so I'd like to have a go at both strip/non strip and see the results.

All thoughts/advice welcome....jtp x

It's pretty much the same as using strip wax, but don't overload your stick!! You might want to start by drawing a thin line with the wax, using the edge of your stick, to get a nice line without overflow. Take the wax down past the hair line and don't poke them to test the wax!! :o)

Which brand are you using?

Thanks for the advice; using Perron Rigot but a novice:) and in need to mega practice time, did some intense training which involved using the strip wax on the eyebrows.

I'll have a play around using the non strip, the volunteer is happy to let me do anything that improves her brows - fingers crossed.

jtp x

You will need to be trained and have an accredited certificate for using hot wax,
(a warm wax cert doesn't cover this)
for insurance purposes :hug:

Thanks for the comments, and you've raised - for me anyway - an interesting issue.

My SVQ level 2 is in waxing; separately I trained with Kim on hot wax, and altho I dont have a certificate as yet, didnt consider it necessary to be adequately insured.

After reading the prev post I've read my insurance schedule from cover to cover to clarify if there are exceptions/extensions/conditions to the waxing element of the cover (as suggested here, hot wax would require separate certification to ensure PLI and personal indemnity insurance cover).

I'm going to clarify this matter with Babtac & Balens insurance company next week; meantime I'm questioning the need for specific and particular accreditation & certification dependent on whether the training provider covers hot wax, warm wax or sugaring etc. We live in an age of litigious enthusiasm unfortunately, and clearly no professional in the industry wants to expose themselves unnecessarily to legal action.
Thoughts anyone...jtp

BABTAC needs a valid certificate of training for hot wax. I'm insured with them and this is what they told me.

By valid certificate does that mean a Babtac accredited training provider?

cheers, jtp

Yep, and BABTAC are picky, picky, picky! It's best to check with them before you hand over cash to a training provider, lest you discover that they're not accredited with BABTAC.

Thats really interesting ,,,, I have cover for hot waxing after completing a babtac accredited course...but i didnt know you had to have a seperate certs for hot waxing, not sure ive ever been told, unless im having a mental block lol!

I think there may be a fair few therapists offering hot waxing without a hot wax cert....I know of at least 2 in my area...well they are not displaying the cert with all the others they have ..............hmmm interesting..

Fundamentally it would seem then that BABTAC accredited training is essential to be insured for carrying out hot wax treatments, and seems to be treated as a separate category to the general term of "Waxing" listed in treatments to be covered. I can't determine from the Babtac website who their list of accredited trainer providers are, which doesnt help when deciding who to train with.

I've emailed David Clifford at Babtac for a definitive answer on the insurance cover aspect, and will post the response when I get it.

Fingers crossed I've not made a significant financial outlay in terms of training and products purchased to find out I'm not insured.

Update when Babtac have replied.

nitey nite all...jtp x

Just reading this thread about 'hot wax'. If you are using Peron Rigot then this is wax that's heated to about 37 degrees - the same as strip wax. Perron Rigot is 'non strip' wax and not a traditional hot wax . Surely that has to be covered by the same insurance?
Perhaps it depends more on where you did the training -as mentioned your insurer should tell you.

Meriden xx

I don't think it's the heat of the wax that's the issue, rather that non strip/hot/hard wax is a different technique from strip wax.

When doing my ITEC Beauty qualifications in our exam we used hot wax (non strip) and warm (strip), i now use both these waxes within my waxing treatments so i have been trained in both aspects but i am wondering now too..... MMm havent heard about this before.

well i did all my training with nothing but hot wax over 20 years ago strip wax was only just coming out,but i have nothing to say i did.So this is an interesting one.

here is the reply I've received from David Clifford of Babtac: -

"Hi Janice

It is actually a fairly straight forward answer. We cover waxing in all of its permutations. It doesn’t matter what kind you are doing, as long as proper procedures are followed; consultation to identify contra-indications etc is carried out, you are covered. The method does not matter"

This seems pretty unequivocal. Issue resolved.

cheers,
JTP

here is the reply I've received from David Clifford of Babtac: -

"Hi Janice

It is actually a fairly straight forward answer. We cover waxing in all of its permutations. It doesn’t matter what kind you are doing, as long as proper procedures are followed; consultation to identify contra-indications etc is carried out, you are covered. The method does not matter"

This seems pretty unequivocal. Issue resolved.

cheers,
JTP

Yes - that's it exactly - incidentally, if you need anything from a BABTAC perspective, this is me on here :)

How did I miss this thread???

Ok, if you trained with me (sorry, I can't think who you are as I'd know you by your real name); all of my courses are accredited by BABTAC and they cover both hot wax and strip wax, so you're fine.

I know BABTAC are picky and that why I went with them. Some companies accredit courses left right and centre without paying too mucH attention to detail, or worse still, the trainer. BABTAC are very thorough and thank the Lord they are. That's what keeps the standards high.

Hot wax has a knack to it, but once you've got it, you'll never go back. You'll find 'hot wax' now isn't the same as the old hot wax from years ago. I use Lycon and it adheres to the hairs and not the skin, therefore less discomfort and irritation to the skin, apply thicker than strip wax, carefully and you will find you can move it to where you want, it can be a lot more precise.
I did have to train with Lycon to receive a certified certificate before they even sold to me.
Good luck x

Latest posts

Back