waxing info needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trace185

Reaction score
Hi all,
As you know i have started my waxing course anyway we had out first piece of homework to do last week. i have ordered a book from amazon the next day and still havent received it. ive contact them and they said they want me to ring back on thursday. ive been waiting a week now.
anyway i need to find out contraindications in waxing for various things and i have looked on googlw but cant find anything. do any of you know where i can find info till my book arrives. mant thanks
from trace x

Hi all,
As you know i have started my waxing course anyway we had out first piece of homework to do last week. i have ordered a book from amazon the next day and still havent received it. ive contact them and they said they want me to ring back on thursday. ive been waiting a week now.
anyway i need to find out contraindications in waxing for various things and i have looked on googlw but cant find anything. do any of you know where i can find info till my book arrives. mant thanks
from trace x
Skin disease or disorders
open skin,infection,inflammation,or healing skin
bruising
very thin skin,papery
after any heat treatment.
recent scar tissue
moles,warts,or any unidentified skin problems
varicose veins or broken capillaries
cold sores,eye infections.
previous reactions to waxing
Just remember these are contraindications however you can still wax if you avoid the area in some of these situations.HTH xx

Have you not covered conta-indications in class or been given any hand outs ? Or has your tutor requested you to try and find the info out first ?
Sorry if ive misread it,
What do you think some of the contra-indications are ?

Skin disease or disorders
open skin,infection,inflammation,or healing skin
bruising
very thin skin,papery
after any heat treatment.
recent scar tissue
moles,warts,or any unidentified skin problems
varicose veins or broken capillaries
cold sores,eye infections.
previous reactions to waxing
Just remember these are contraindications however you can still wax if you avoid the area in some of these situations.HTH xx

Beat me to it lol :)

As well as SEVERE bruising that is already there you must find out if they are on blood thinning meds like warfarin or aspirin as they will bruise easily on either of these, just like me,:eek: so it will also be a contra-indictaion....

You should also make sure that they are not diabetics as they can have diminished touch sensations and also any skin breakages and the wounds heal very slowly

should also make sure they're not on any medication that thins the blood.

Also be wary of waxing clients who are taking the acne medication Roaccutane - this little delight has a nasty habit of drying the skin to such an extent that it increases the likelihood of skin-lifting and tearing. Technicians new to waxing should wait at least 6 months after a client has finished their medication before waxing a client who has been on Roaccutane.

Topical acne creams and lotions such as Retin-A and Differin (retinoid creams and their derivatives) can also cause dryness and increased skin sensitivity. Prolonged use of steroid creams can also thin the skin, so it's always worth checking what medication your clients are taking.

For the purposes of passing your exams, stick to the contraindications in the books and as outlined above. Having said that, a lot of the contraindications set by the examining boards (based on National Occupational Standards) are, in my personal opinion, over-cautious... Once qualified and experienced, you will learn to exercise your professional diligence in deciding when not to treat, and when to proceed with caution if faced with a particular issue. :green:

Best of luck with your course!

Andy x

Hi all,
from trace x
Skin diseases or disorders,
open skin, infection,inflammation or healing skin.
bruising,very thin papery skin (diabetics have very thin papery skin due to poor circulation).
sunburn,recent scar tissue,moles ,warts ,varocose veins ,broken cappilaries on legs,ingrown hairs (excessive),previous reactions from tratments.
Good luck on your home work, Sarah xxx

thankyou everyone for your help. i thought i lost this post. lol
right a couple more questions if that is ok.

1. right diabetics skin has a slower healing process. but the question is how would i recognise the condition and is it long, short, or temporary?
i thought that you wouldnt treat a diabetic unless a doctors note is given and it could be long term am i correct or wrong.and it would be in the clients records there medical history because you can actually see diabetes.

2. same question about heart problems how would i recognise it and its it long, short or temp. i thought it would be dangerous to wax someone with heart problems because they have less heat sensation (havent a clue on that one and dont know if it is long, short or temp

many thanks for your help everyone
from trace

Usually, asking a client if they have any heart problems or diabetes (long term) will be part of their consultation. Ask your tutor to reccomend a good text book that will you help you with topics covered in your course. I use Btec Beauty Therapy Sciences, and the NVQ levels 2 & 3 for my course, they all really easy to work through and have lots of useful charts & diagrams. If you PM me your email addy I'll be happy to email you some course notes from last year that might inspire you with your homework! :) xx

Usually, asking a client if they have any heart problems or diabetes (long term) will be part of their consultation. Ask your tutor to reccomend a good text book that will you help you with topics covered in your course. I use Btec Beauty Therapy Sciences, and the NVQ levels 2 & 3 for my course, they all really easy to work through and have lots of useful charts & diagrams. If you PM me your email addy I'll be happy to email you some course notes from last year that might inspire you with your homework! :) xx

hi thanks for that. i am new on here and dont know how to pm yet. if it is pager message i clicked on that and it said sorry your not allowed to do this? is there any other way i can send details without putting it on public. many thanks for your help
from Trace x

hi thanks for that. i am new on here and dont know how to pm yet. if it is pager message i clicked on that and it said sorry your not allowed to do this? is there any other way i can send details without putting it on public. many thanks for your help
from Trace x
You need to be a premium geek to use the pager messaging.
Everyone else can click on quick links then on private messages and then you get a list on the left of the screen click on 'new message' and you can send a PM to whoever you want....when they send one to you, just click on reply to send one back. HTH.

Latest posts

Back