Waxing mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavander Rose

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Hope your all having a good day

wanted to ask all you beauty therapists out there if you have ever made a mistake on an eyebrow wax? and if so what did you do to correct it?

ive been a mobile therapist for 5 years did a beauty course 2 years ago and love doing it problem is ive not done a lot of waxing .

im opening up a small rented salon soon and i know for sure eyebrows is gonna be a popular treatment within a salon enviroment
can anyone give me any good tips or should i just stick to using vasaline like id normally do anyway

hope you all enjoy the rest of you day

:lol:just make sure you only put the strip over where you want wax taking off , coz sometimes thats how you end up taking more off , i did it once coz i was rushing but luckily she had em thin anyway , but i nearly s*** myself , never again :lol:
or you can try hot wax , i like it for eyebrows :green:hth xxx

Yes stick to using vaseline until you are 100% confident,
always have the client on the treatment couch for this treatment, never do it while they are sat in a chair,
a long time ago when i knew no better, one client of mine refused to get on the couch and insisted i did the eyebrow wax while she sat on the chair,
so i did this but you can not see the full area as good as you can when they are laid down, this poor client left the salon with 1 & 1/2 eyebrows instead of 2 :eek:,
this was one of those times where the client was not right,
i was mortified with myself and the client never came back (i don't blame her) hth

Hi

It's my salon policy when waxing eb to :

cleanse
talc the skin
then wax
tinted aftercare cream

I have seen so many ladies with the delicate skin under their eyebrows torn!!! Its really important to look closely at the area to make sure there are no dry patches.

Ok.. I'm feeling confessional... I recently dripped wax in a clients hair (if you're reading this, sorry hun!)

So, I have been wondering if a mob cap would be a good idea?

Thanks for the replys so far guys.

Waxing is one of the messiest things known to beauty not only the mess but getting stuck with your gloves lol what a nightmere and embarrassing that is.

The mob cap sounds like a good idea, or a hair net would do the same thing.
Not sure every client would appreiate it though you know what some people are like with there hair.

I was also thinking of instead of using an eyebrow stick maybe use a hoof stick u know the wooden ones that way when doing under the eyebrow your not going to pick up to much wax?

ive done eyebrow waxing b4 just not done it for ages so its kinda getting back into the swing of it, but ive never waxed without using vasaline just in case OMG i would die if it happend i guess u would just have to make sure the other eyebrow was the same on the other side :eek:

I dont have any probs with the bikini or legs, underarm just the eyebrows car,nt cover them up can ya

I guess ill stick with the old learning way lol for a short while anyway
thanks again peeps.

I doubt if there's a single therapist out there who hasn't made a mistake on an eyebrow wax!
Use vaseline until you feel more confident, I'm sure after a while you won't feel you need it.
For eyebrows I use the thin spatulas Buy Disposable Lip/Brow Spatulas x 50 from Beauty Express You can't see the difference to the ordinary ones too well on the photo, but they're probably just less than half the width, and they've made eyebrow waxing so much easier for me. To make them last longer I break them in half (not lengthways) across the middle.

I use orange sticks for waxing eyebrows :)

Sorry to sound like a meanie but I think that if you use Vaseline, you'll never improve.

The trick is to have your strip wax very thin. Apply a tiny drop of oil to the area and blot. Split a spatuala or use whatever you prefer. Dip the tip of the spatuala in the wax and in one sweep, apply the wax just below whe shape that you want to achieve..........This way, the wax won't spread underneath the hairs that you don't want to remove. Stretch the skin and press a tiny strip of paper strip over the hair to be removed and pull. Throw that strip and use a clean one for the before you move to the next bit as it's often the wax on the strip that can wax off hair you didn't mean to. Always perfect the shape with tweezers.

TIP* Place the thumb of your non waxing hand over the brow above the strip so you can't pull the hair off by mistake.

TIP* If you drop wax in the brow, apply oil and leave it while you continue to wax the brows and you'll be able to ease it off without removing any hair.

Sorry to sound like a meanie but I think that if you use Vaseline, you'll never improve.

The trick is to have your strip wax very thin. Apply a tiny drop of oil to the area and blot. Split a spatuala or use whatever you prefer. Dip the tip of the spatuala in the wax and in one sweep, apply the wax just below whe shape that you want to achieve..........This way, the wax won't spread underneath the hairs that you don't want to remove. Stretch the skin and press a tiny strip of paper strip over the hair to be removed and pull. Throw that strip and use a clean one for the before you move to the next bit as it's often the wax on the strip that can wax off hair you didn't mean to. Always perfect the shape with tweezers.

TIP* Place the thumb of your non waxing hand over the brow above the strip so you can't pull the hair off by mistake.

TIP* If you drop wax in the brow, apply oil and leave it while you continue to wax the brows and you'll be able to ease it off without removing any hair.

I was going to say all the same things.... :)

Thankyou everyone

thanks again waxing queen ive been using Satin Smooth ( gold ) at the moment but find if i i leave it on 3 all day with intervals of giving it a stir it still seems thick so maybe if i higher it up to 3.5 this may help.

I usually would turn the wax pot on to 10 for 10 minutes, then to 1 for 5 mins and then leave it on 3 but like i say when i go to use it, seems to be still a bit thick hence why im dreading doing an eyebrow wax, bikini leg and underarm no problem.

If I turn on to 4 will it be too hot? though i reckon if not the wax would be thinner?

thanks for all the advise guys really appreciate it.

When I hadn't finished training I did my friends eyebrows and a drop of wax sort of 'rushed' down the stick and dropped onto the base of her eye lash. We got it off with some oily make up remover but I still come out in a hot sweat thinking how it could have gone in her eye if they hadn't been shut!:eek:

Thankyou everyone

thanks again waxing queen ive been using Satin Smooth ( gold ) at the moment but find if i i leave it on 3 all day with intervals of giving it a stir it still seems thick so maybe if i higher it up to 3.5 this may help.

I usually would turn the wax pot on to 10 for 10 minutes, then to 1 for 5 mins and then leave it on 3 but like i say when i go to use it, seems to be still a bit thick hence why im dreading doing an eyebrow wax, bikini leg and underarm no problem.

If I turn on to 4 will it be too hot? though i reckon if not the wax would be thinner?

hi.
i always leave my pot at a 3 setting and never have any problems are you sure the pot is working properly?

I reallllllyy hate doing eyebrows.

I do them every single day of my life but i still don't feel confident!

My clients are happy and i've only ever had the one mishap but that was in college when i was training. But i still get butterflys everytime someone asks for them.

I'm confident everywhere else but like you say you can't hide them after you've destroyed them!

I use the babyliss pot as it's easy for being mobile and i need it at 6 before i feel the wax is the right temp, but i know the hive heater is only about 3.

You said you were using Babyliss wax so i'm presuming your using the Babyliss heater as you get wax free with it and i don't know anyone who bought the wax after this.

So if you keep in mind that this heater needs to be set to 10 till the wax melts then turned to about 6 and it can be left at that with the occasional stir.

HTH xxx

I reallllllyy hate doing eyebrows.

I do them every single day of my life but i still don't feel confident!

My clients are happy and i've only ever had the one mishap but that was in college when i was training. But i still get butterflys everytime someone asks for them.

I'm confident everywhere else but like you say you can't hide them after you've destroyed them!

I'll include a brow session for you all when I come up.........my pleasure. All grow your brows. xxx

Thankyou everyone

Get it so it's nice and thin but check it on yourself first. Another problem is that therapists who are not confident doing brows do this: They dip the spatuala in the wax, twist twist twist the spatula.........over to the client, twist twist twist spatula (thinking 'Where is my God now?', then, by the time they put the wax on the skin, it's almost set and too thick to skim across the hairs.

Last edited:
Pink Potions I use the babyliss waxing pot with babyliss satin smooth gold which i think is great better than any you get from sallys, the cheap stuff i mean.

Ive only just started to use the satin gold from babyliss and find its better than other wax ive used just car,nt seem to get the texture right, due to the settings.

I was going to higher it up from 3 coz it still seems a bit thick but scared if i higher it up it will be too hot?

Pink Potions I use the babyliss waxing pot with babyliss satin smooth gold which i think is great better than any you get from sallys, the cheap stuff i mean.

Ive only just started to use the satin gold from babyliss and find its better than other wax ive used just car,nt seem to get the texture right, due to the settings.

I was going to higher it up from 3 coz it still seems a bit thick but scared if i higher it up it will be too hot?

Yup my psychic abilities are good eh, i know what heaters folk are using now just by their wax. If the wax works for you thats fine but like i said in my opinion this heater works best at no.6. Your wax should be a nice runnyish consistency (i.e not running off your spatula as soon as you lift it out the pot but not taking any effort to stir either!)

Don't worry about burning people because you try it on yourself first! If it burns you turn it down a notch if not wax away x

When I first started I dreaded eyebrows but now they are my favourite, a well shaped brow changes a persons face, and they leave looking neat and well groomed.

Latest posts

Back