Waxing Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophia F

Reaction score
Hi there. Just wanted to say what a fantastic website this is. So informative, you ladies (and gents) really know your stuff.

I have some questions. I have been asked by a Hindu lady to wax her face. She has had laser treatment under her chin and on down her neck but it has left a lot of dark brown marks from which the hair grows very coarse, beard quality almost. She's had threading on it but wants to get back into waxing. Does anybody have a client with a similar condition and, if so, do you have any tips?

Also, she wants me to wax her back. The hair goes from the top of low slung jeans right up to her neck. I've yet to wax a man's back let alone a womans. Any advice.

She's also used to facials involving a deep cleansing steaming process and extraction on her nose. I use Natural Balance products which are 100% organic but as far as steaming goes, I've always steered well clear due to heat damage. Any help would be gratefully received. :rolleyes:

Many thanks

Sophia x

The most important thing that you must do with this client is complete a detailed consultation form and get her to sign her life away.

I bet she's been using a medicated cream for her skin and if she has done in the past 6mths, there's a high chance that her skin will tear when you wax. Wax a small area as a test and get her to come back to see how it looks.

I would not use strip wax on her face (back is fine). Do you use both? Apply in nice thin strips and remove very slowly in jerky movements and you'll find that the tough hairs will come out much better than if you take the strip off quickly. Perron Rigot, Escential Rose is perfect for her. You can also go over more than once with this wax, so apply in the direction of hair growth first, then apply against the hair growth and you'll be amazed at how many more hairs come out. She'll love you forever. I wouldn't apply anything to her skin afterwards. Some people's skin is best left alone.

With her back, use strip wax.

Get her lay on her front.

After cleansing, apply a fine layer of oil and blot so you can't see it shine (that means you've applied too much).
Lean over her body from the side and placing your hand in the middle of her back, firmly pull the side furthest away from you towards you.......this gives the skin a nice tight stretch.

Cover the entire side of the back in the thinnest layer of strip wax. Keep your spatula on a knifes edge and it'll be really thin. Depending on what side you're standing, make sure that you apply the wax from the end (top or bottom) so that you're not leaning in the wax as you apply (same when you remove). ALWAYS STRETCH THE SKIN WHEN YOU APPLY WAX AND WHEN YOU REMOVE WAX.

Take your strip and from the centre outwards, remove the wax in a methodical fashion, making sure to stretch the skin. Repeat on the opposite side.

Do all this with your usual before and aftercare and cleansing. Hope that's helped. xxx

Hi I know some therapists are over cautious but I think in this instance I would get her GP to check the area out first. It sounds like she had treatment that was not suitable for her and the fact she has beard like hair growing from these patches signify trauma to the skin through treatment. Certain lasers/IPL are not suitable for darker skin types. Is the hair thicker than it was before her treatment in these areas?

Hi there. Thank you so much for your advice. I did speak to her again and asked if she was using any medication for her face. She said no but she used to take a steroid for the hair growth but hasn't for ages. She had laser treatment under her chin and on her neck on the NHS. The treatment lasted twenty minutes every week and she had it done for two years!

When she came for her facial last night, she told me that she has polysystic ovaries and has had three miscarriages poor thing and that she is on some medication (which name escapes me) a hormone I guess. When she is pregnant she has to have immediate bedrest because she suffers from pre-eclampsia amongst other things! Anyway, I digress, the facial was great. She really wanted her eyebrows waxed because a local salon had made a right lash up of them. She normally threads them herself which she says is really painful so I was really conscious that I didn't want to hurt her or mess them up. I was very happy with the results but told her I didn't want to be paid for them because I took my time.

Can you tell me where I can get this Perron Rigot Essential Rose from please? I asked in Sally's but they don't stock it. I used a Mercia wax (especially for the face) on her brows, which was fine and I've got a Salon System soft roller wax for other areas. What oil should I use on her back?

To Essentia. I mentioned the laser trauma and she agreed that her skin has definitely suffered but she finished her treatment 3 years ago and doesn't feel she can go back. Also because she's been on steroids and hormones this hasn't helped the hair re-growth.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Sophia x

Can you tell me where I can get this Perron Rigot Essential Rose from please? I asked in Sally's but they don't stock it. I used a Mercia wax (especially for the face) on her brows, which was fine and I've got a Salon System soft roller wax for other areas. What oil should I use on her back?

You can purchase Perron Rigot direct from Thalgo 0207 512 0872 or Beauty Express also stock it now. :hug:

When she came for her facial last night, she told me that she has polysystic ovaries and has had three miscarriages poor thing and that she is on some medication (which name escapes me)

I'm not a waxer, but as a fellow polysystic ovaries sufferer, the hair problems are more likely to be due to the condition than the laser. I go through cycles of hair "issues" when my hair is particularly coarse. Poor thing, I totally sympathise with her.

Well done you for making her feel better about herself :hug:

I'm not suggesting that your client isn't being honest but when people are desperate, they do 'forget' that they've been taking medication. So, please make sure that you get her to sign to say that she hasn't been using anything. xxx

Hi Yes PCOS can affect the hair growth enormously but I was thinking along the lines of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Follow Kim's advice about getting her to sign a thorough consultation and use very gentle wax on these facial areas as she has suggested. Keep monitoring her skin condition and note any changes on her record card.

She really wanted her eyebrows waxed because a local salon had made a right lash up of them. She normally threads them herself which she says is really painful so I was really conscious that I didn't want to hurt her or mess them up. I was very happy with the results but told her I didn't want to be paid for them because I took my time.

Please charge her next time, you should have not given this for free, as you took much more time this should have made you more confident to charge.:hug:

Firstly, thanks for all your replies. Its very helpful to know that you guys are there.

I'll get onto Beauty Express thanks. I will also mention what you say about the hormones playing a part in the hair growth. I did talk to her about that and she agreed it probably is. She rang me the day after her facial and I thought OMG! but panic not, she left her nose ring in the jewellery tray at my house! She did say then that she was going to come back and was pleased she'd found someone she could trust and that was just in the next road so I'm pleased she was happy.

With regards to not charging her, time wasn't on my side unfortunately. She turned up late with her husband because he wanted to see my cats and then by the time we'd got started (half 8) or so. I told her that I wouldn't normally be happy to do a wax on the same area but she wanted it done as her family were coming down for the day and she wanted to look good. The facial was fine but I just felt that I didn't want to charge her and hope that she would respect that I did a good job and would come back as a regular. In retrospect, I lost out in time and money so I know I've got to be firmer in the future.

Sophia x:hug:

Please charge her next time, you should have not given this for free, as you took much more time this should have made you more confident to charge.:hug:

I agree you do have to charge...I know when I first started out with my hairdressing...for instance someone would probably say 'oh while your here can you just cut my daughters fringe' or 'can you just plait my daughters hair while my perms taking?' and I was silly enough to do it and say 'oh it didn't take long so I won't charge' which at the time didn't bother me, but the next time it would just be taken for granted I would do the same for free....and the next time...and the next:irked:

Start as you mean to go on...as it is your business and time is money:)

Unfortunately being another PCOS sufferer whos had laser, it doesn't guarantee hair not growing back because of your hormones - it goes in cycles where sometimes you are hairier than others - you grow hair on your face but it falls out of your head :irked:. That'll also be why her hair is so coarse and PCOS also causes skin pigmentation called
<LI class=doublespace>Acanthosis nigricans. This is the medical term for darkened, velvety skin on the nape of your neck, armpits, inner thighs, vulva or under your breasts. .
She's probably on metformin which shouldn't cause a problem with her waxing either.

I found Perron Rigot at Beauty Express but I don't have a wax pot! Can you suggest a good one please. Also, when I wax her back, what shall I use, baby oil, Jasmine Oil?

Many thanks

Sophia

I found Perron Rigot at Beauty Express but I don't have a wax pot! Can you suggest a good one please. Also, when I wax her back, what shall I use, baby oil, Jasmine Oil?

Many thanks

Sophia

A very popular wax pot is the Hive 1000wt... good value and very reliable. I use two of these and a 500wt heater for my waxes. I started off with just the 500wt when I first started waxing 4 years ago.. but needed to go to a bigger pot when I got busier. I then bought the 1000wt for my strip wax and used the smaller one for my non strip wax. Now I have trained in intimate waxing I use much more non strip wax so I have now got this in a larger heater too... and use the small one for a 2nd non strip wax ideal for face and underarms that Kim recomended to me when I did a mentoring session with her a few weeks ago. All the main beauty suppliers have these wax pots for sale.

A little oil on her back under the oil will be an excellent idea.. just a small amount though. Jasmine, baby or what ever you have to hand.. :)

Hi there. I've just received Beauty Express's Catalogue today so will be taking your advice and purchasing a Hive Wax Pot. :lol: Sophia x

Latest posts

Back