weird request - flared/convex nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefanied

Reaction score
I had a request today from a young lady who wanted her free edge to flare out in a fan shape and to dip in the middle (convex, no c-curve). Has anyone else had a request like this? I thought it was very strange - not to mention ugly.

Anyway, her nails were so short that I had to use tips (I usually sculpt). So she didn't get the look that she wanted although she was very happy with the end result.

How would you go about giving a person this kind of look? Has anyone done this shape before?

I have seen it, I always assumed you took an e-file to the tip and made it look that way... if I'm understanding you correctly. it looks something like this... ( a huge dip in the center? I have a pictue of a set like that some where when I find it I'll link back to here and post it....

I think these look horris on some people to be honest and would've tried to talk her out of it, especially if she has small nail beds.

This is something some of the NSS do i think, so it's not common practise. Its weird what some people want isn't it??:eek:

The client is always right ????????

Not always lol,i personally wouldn't want to put my name to something that goes against everything i work so hard to acheive.Jmho,hth x

I can't even picture what you mean here......the image I have of this surely no-one would want on the end of their fingers!!!:eek:

I certainly wouldn't want to apply them and have her tell people I had!!:irked:

It would be great if you could post a pic........:)

I think my answer would be,

You know what? XYZ Nails down the road do them like that all the time, why don't you ring them for an appointment? !!

Sounds ugly to me. Don't put your name to a set like this.

I would have to refuse to do something like that. I'm trying to build a clientel. I want my clients to go out the door with something I'm proud of that is good advertising for me.

So no, the client is NOT always right.
Would a driver tell a mechanic how to fix an engine? or a patient tell a doctor how to operate?

Nope.
I just wouldn't do it.

I had a request today from a young lady who wanted her free edge to flare out in a fan shape and to dip in the middle (convex, no c-curve). Has anyone else had a request like this? I thought it was very strange - not to mention ugly.

Anyway, her nails were so short that I had to use tips (I usually sculpt). So she didn't get the look that she wanted although she was very happy with the end result.

How would you go about giving a person this kind of look? Has anyone done this shape before?

no, iv'e never had a client who's requested this and if they did i wouldn't do as they wished. For two reasons. 1. they are taking the piss and 2. i wouldn't want my name associated with these trotters...:eek: ,x

You guys are awesome! I'm so glad that I wasn't off my rocker thinking that this was strange. Thanks for the confidence boost - next time I'll just say "sorry, I've worked long and hard to NOT make nails that look like that."

By the way, I didn't make hers like that as there was no way to do this using tips and acrylic without totally sacrificing the stress area.

Thanks again!

I had a client that requested this also. I gave it a shot by using tips a size larger. She still wasn't happy and has cancelled her next appointment as she has found someone else that can do them. A bit gutted about losing a client but glad that I don't have to deal with her request.

Would a driver tell a mechanic how to fix an engine? or a patient tell a doctor how to operate?

Nope.
I just wouldn't do it.
:D wouldnt put it that way myself as the client wasnt telling her how to do her job lol just how she'd like "her" nails (but i know what you mean )

if it were me ,i would say
i couldnt possibly do that shape as it is just not a strong shape at all and all the tips are likely to break of at the corners within an hour ! so in reality you would be wasting your money luv!
and that you cant be held responsible for her poking her own or someone else eye out ,as your insurance doesnt cover hideous monstrsities :D :D (ok ok i wouldnt say the last bit lol)

The set she wanted sounds really unattractive....good for you not going there. I haven't seen anything like this, Is it a new 'thing' I doubt it will catch on....platypus nails spring to mind ;) lol

i havent read all the other posts in this thread, but what you are describing is something from an unexperienced, cheap, possibly nns salon and a tech that dont care - sorry hun but why the hell would anyone want this - you poor love, having to go way off from what you were taught

This sounds like a variation on the "duck bill" nails that were (possibly still are?) popular with some young girls in California. They are seriously the fugliest things out there!

I've never even heard of anybody having there nails done like this. I would love to see a pic, bet they're blummin horrible.

I don't think I could do that anyway, let alone tell her no. I could do that though!

Teri x

Latest posts

Back