What are all you thoughts on....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether you believe it shocking or not, the fact remains that people will judge!
And I'm one of them. If I were to be treated by a tattooed, pierced therapist I would be thinking "and that's her idea of beauty?"

This is an interesting comment....am presuming by that comment you have a very closed idea of beauty, generic springs to mind....

What is beauty anyway?

You clearly have a "fixed" idea of beauty, a set idea of what beauty actually is......personally speaking I dont have any fixed ideas!!

Beauty is a million things, a hairstyle, a look, an attitude, a confidence, a smile, a twinkly eye, its everything quite frankly, tattooed, pierced, common or upper class beauty comes from a million and one things!!
The fact I understand this means I can offer my clients a very unbiased and open non judgemental service......the lady who wanted long long french enhancements, the guy who wanted long red glitter nails, the guy who had his drag queen make up done by me and the girl (tattooed for the record) who had her drag king look done by me....
to name but a few of my lovely clients! I dont ever churn out "generic clients" due to my opinion of beauty!!

It horrifies me we have fought a long long time to put certain laws and legislations in place to stop discrimination, laws for race discrimination,, gender discrimination, age, sexuality......jeez its judemental attitudes that cause so many problems in the world :irked:

one thing springs to mind when i think of beauty !!! i can remember seeing the statue of the lady with no arms holding her baby yrs ago in london and thought it was the most beautiful thing i have ever seen :Love:
i can also remeber growing up witha disabled mum, and how people used to stare that she was in a wheelchair . they would always do the thing of talking to her like she was not fully there !! she just used to tell em she had lung damage not brain damage !!
maybe i think differently coz i have been lucky enough to meet lots of different type of people in my life and i dont just stick people in catergories xxx

By the same token you shouldn't judge someone if they don't like them it doesnt necessarily mean they are stuffy or un creative or anything else it just means they are not their cup of tea.Sometimes people read too deep and its really just a case of 'thats just the way it is'. no analysis needed.

I think this is one of those issues which really polarises people.
I loathe them. I think they make the wearer look common, but I appreciate that my views could be taken as offensive.
As long as you realise that a certain segment of the market (arguably the most lucrative segment) will be turned off by a tattooed, facially pierced therapist, then fine.

Whether you believe it shocking or not, the fact remains that people will judge!
And I'm one of them. If I were to be treated by a tattooed, pierced therapist I would be thinking "and that's her idea of beauty?"
As I said, people will find this view offensive, but it is an unwise business owner who happily alienates a proportion of their client base.

By the same token you shouldn't judge someone if they don't like them it doesnt necessarily mean they are stuffy or un creative or anything else it just means they are not their cup of tea.Sometimes people read too deep and its really just a case of 'thats just the way it is'. no analysis needed.

The analysis came about for me because of those two comments. I can appreciate its not everyones cup of tea and respect that but the implication, to me, was that only people who are 'not affluent' (trying not to offend anyone because I'm still not 100% sure how to take common) have tattoos and that isn't true. Its very sweeping to say you will alienate a portion of your market not least because markets vary depending on where you live. I dont like certain facial piercings but would I judge the person wearing them? NO. Most likely because I dont care and also I think if you judge someone they can sense that and they wouldn't come back.

I totally agree with you, everyone was happy with the thread and differing opinions being shared until it was said that tattood women were common looking and would be losing out (by being judged) by the most lucrative side of the market :irked: thats where is all went a bit belly up!!:lol:

I totally agree with you, everyone was happy with the thread and differing opinions being shared until it was said that tattood women were common looking and would be losing out (by being judged) by the most lucrative side of the market :irked: thats where is all went a bit belly up!!:lol:

I dont know about you but I'm going to staple my fingers to the table if I have to and bow out. Its drifted a bit from the opening posters question and I feel bad ebough already with out letting my feelings keep over riding good posting judgement :lol: :hug::hug:

It has and its such a shame!! Of course if anyone wants to give us their opinions of tattoos and get back to the original point the poster was looking for opinions on please feel free!!! :green:

Back to Tattoos, i have two. I regret having both of them but would defo love to have more x One of my tattoos is a 7 year tattoo, but was told by a tattooist that there is no such thing, so as you can imagine i was not impresses, this tattoo looks like my son has drawn on me with felt tip :( x I am addicted to Miami ink and would love a tattoo done Kat x

Back to Tattoos, i have two. I regret having both of them but would defo love to have more x One of my tattoos is a 7 year tattoo, but was told by a tattooist that there is no such thing, so as you can imagine i was not impresses, this tattoo looks like my son has drawn on me with felt tip :( x I am addicted to Miami ink and would love a tattoo done Kat x

I had a semi perm tattoo done at a trade show 2 years ago and that I regret, not because of the esign or anything but because I believed it was just that, semi permanent, it now looks really scarred and not very nice....However I am planning a fab "real" tattoo cover up for it shortly!!:green:

I love tattoos i have 6 and i did have alot of peircings, if people judge me for it then , hey ho....couldnt give a hoot to be quite honest.....i got most of my tattoo's in the navy where no-one is judged at all..its actually the norm and doesnt affect ones ability to fight for queen and country .....if people choose to have a treatment/nails/hair from another person becasue they dont like tattoo's etc...then they have well dipped out...to say tattoo's are common....why would that be common, common would be every one having the same tattoo in the same place( abit like the croc wearing population :lol:.....but everyones tattoo is unique to them....not common....(if common means "not stuck up their own special social class/standing.... to be qualified to judge and call people common becasue they feel they are a cut above...i am common)
people like them people hate them....the ones that hate them...generally hate them for themselves but dont hate others for having them....and mostly dont judge, and thats personal preference not to like them.....but to pidgeon hole people with tattoo's into a category of "common" please....educate yourself on social classses...

I believed that the original poster asked for opinions vis a vis tattoos which is what I gave: my opinion.
I think tattoos permanently defile a body, and given that I was a theatre sister for several years in a theatre where for two days a week we did nothing but remove tattoos, I think that they are a cause for regret for many of the people who thought it was a cool thing to do at the time.

I believed that the original poster asked for opinions vis a vis tattoos which is what I gave: my opinion.
I think tattoos permanently defile a body, and given that I was a theatre sister for several years in a theatre where for two days a week we did nothing but remove tattoos, I think that they are a cause for regret for many of the people who thought it was a cool thing to do at the time.

That point of view I actually can totally understand. I've had all three of my tattoos for 10 years+ now and still love them :hug:

Fair do's each to their own I dont have a problem with people giving thier opinion. What I would say however, is diplomacy and tact are a wonderful thing to have particulalry when giving ones opinion.....

While nobody was offended when anyone said they were not keen on tattoos etc, use of words such as Common, saying that the lucrative cutomers would be turned off and to question somones idea on beauty all because they have tattoos, that, itself was offensive and I think a few of us found it a bit rude.

I apologise if my choice of words offended people - it wasn't my intention. I've discussed this with my clients and many of them tell me that they would feel intimidated if they were faced with a tattooed, pierced therapist, in the same way that they would feel intimidated by a stick thin, drop dead gorgeous 20 year old therapist.

I apologise if my choice of words offended people - it wasn't my intention. I've discussed this with my clients and many of them tell me that they would feel intimidated if they were faced with a tattooed, pierced therapist, in the same way that they would feel intimidated by a stick thin, drop dead gorgeous 20 year old therapist.

my god, i just cant win can i, hahaha. :lol:

well I have suffered reading the whole thread before I put my reply in, and quite frankly, I found it all very boring!

I have a tattoo which I had done when I was 18. I am now 40.
I have spent most of that time covering it up as I had it done for my eyes only, so my regret is not having the tattoo, but the location of it.

I can see Calla's POV which she gave frankly and everyone has thrown a wobbly over it. I would find it strange having a beauty treatment done by someone with loads of piercings and tattoos.

I had a student in this week that had a tattoo on their inside wrist and I found it a bit strange to look at, it kept on catching my eye, and I tried imaginigng what it would be like to have a face massage or something close up by her, as it would draw your attention all the time.

Some tattoos do look common, the homemade ones and the ones spelt wrong!:eek:

Well, I have just come back from a rock and roll weekender, where many people saw my newly finished tattoo for the first time (some of you saw it half done at the Event). I can tell you, when I went out in the evening, I wore dresses that showed it off really well, and had my hair pulled to the side to make sure it could be seen. I had loads of comments on how good it is, and lots of photos taken of it. Many people said what fantastic art work it is, and asked for the tattooist details (BTW he's friends on myspace with Kat Von Dee, and she doesn't let just anyone join).

So, yes, I love tattoos, and some of the women I think are really beautiful are rockabilly women, who have whole sleeves, chest tattoos, whatever. I also think many other women who don't have tattoos are equally beautiful. What makes a woman beautiful is confidence. Dita, OMG what a beauty! Google Bernie Dexter, and you will find another beautiful woman (who I met by the way, beautiful personality too, she apologised for making me wait while she signed autographs, and gave advice for my daughter's modelling career). Bernie has several tattoos. She also had so many men on their knees when she appeared at an event this year. I can tell you, that lady is definitely a LADY. However, she is not everyones taste, which brings us back to the fact that it's each to their own.

I showed a woman at work my cherry tattoo on my foot, she reckoned I was "ab-so-lut-ely mad". So when I had my Bettie Page done, she asked why anyone would "maim" their own body like that (although she did say it is excellent art work!). However, I wouldn't have the haircut she has in a million years. Doesn't mean she likes me any less, or I like her any less! We're still the same people as the day before the haircut/tattoo!

Everyone on my college course keeps commenting on how good my manicure/massage etc is, just think how good I would have been if I hadn't had those marks on my back & foot preventing me doing the treatments! (is sarcasm allowed?)

(BTW tat's covered up, college policy, which I have no problem with)

BTW, don't look at my avatar!

Last edited:
Well I love my tats and I wouldn't have had them done if I didn't.
I guess I'm unique in some ways but NOT to everyones tastes....each to their own.
Let me know if ya think I'm common ( I WILL NOT be offended!!)
Some have been done by Louis Molloy...before he was famous from Becks and London Ink and some haven't....it's my body so I do as I choose with it.

Attachments

• butterfly tattoo.jpg
    butterfly tattoo.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Fairy Tattoo.jpg
    Fairy Tattoo.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 36
  • ivy by jin, writing by louis.jpg
    ivy by jin, writing by louis.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back