What are the pros and cons of mobile hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bri84

Reaction score
I have been working in a salon for 9 years, which is where I trained. I work on a self employed basis where I get 50% of my earnings. I have never made much money and even got a second job at one point to pay the bills. My boss also gets me to do home visits where I still only get 50% plus a couple of quid for petrol. But now it seems like the only new clients i get are home visits, and Im starting to think maybe I should start up my own mobile business so I can keep all my money instead of giving half away!! I have looked into it and I think I would be alot better off financially (some weeks I earn less than £100) but I am worried that I may find it lonely and miss my colleagues. I know it sounds silly but I have been there a long time!! How do all you other mobile hairdressers find it??

Hi, I am not a hairdresser, but work for myself renting a beauty room, and it really sounds like you are getting the raw end of the deal!

I know you said you dont like the idea of not working with others in a salon, if you did go mobile, have you not thought about renting a chair in another salon?

I know its not the nicest thing to do but just tell your home visits you can still do them but your will be working for yourself and to call your mobile to book an appointment, even say to them your prices will be a little lower than the shops price list or give them a % discount on their first 2/3 appointments with you. As you will still be earning more than before as you will get to keep all the money.

I hope this has helped a little, good luck.

Emma x:hug:x

Thankyou yes it has helped. Ive decided Im just going to go for it and start up my own mobiling business. As they say, nothing ventured nothing gained!! xx

i worked in salons for a 11 years and the last 3 have been freelance , yes it is lonely , but financially i am much better off than i have ever been and ive gained confidence too . there is never going to be a better time to do it than now . drawbacks are - not having 100+ colours at your fingertips - rinsing over a bath or sink- paperwork . pros r - giving yourself perks like tradefairs and putting it against tax - lower tax rate ( up to a certain point)-control over holiday and hours-money!

The percentage split i understand while you are working under the roof of her salon but to take 50% when you work mobile is taking the pi$$,
she has no overheads to cover while you are mobile so has no rights to take anything off you in my eyes,
i would either state this to her and face the argument that is bound to follow
or as you like working in the salon stay there and do your work at 50% cut but tell her you are unable to work mobile for her any more and set up mobile on your own for out of salon hrs, hth :hug:

Thanx for your advice ur right it does take the piss. I would ideally like to work in the salon a couple of days a week and do mobile the rest of the time, but Im sure that if I tell my boss I dont want to do mobile for her and set up my own company she will get the hump and make me leave anyway.

Yeah I guess the pros do outway the cons.

Thanx for your advice ur right it does take the piss. I would ideally like to work in the salon a couple of days a week and do mobile the rest of the time, but Im sure that if I tell my boss I dont want to do mobile for her and set up my own company she will get the hump and make me leave anyway.

She would have to be very careful,
as you have been there for such a long time there will be a large percentage of clients that only come to the salon because you work there so if she were to make you feel like you had to leave, once you had gone a lot of the clients would go too,
and the owner will be aware that this may happen,

i have followed my hairdresser around for 12 years or more,

if you left....
all you would need to do is place a nice largish ad in your local paper for a few weeks running with your full name and state where you used to work,
a few ads in the local post offices,
and around 80% of your regulars would soon find you and give you a call.

I told my boss today that Im leaving and she was ok with it ans even said i could do just one day a week if I want, but shes expecting me to carry on doing the mobile clients which i have via the salon on that day. so basically she will still get half.

Oh and by the way, does anyone know how to go about getting insurance for mobile stylists??

Hi Bri84

Try Salon Gold for your Mobile Hairdressing, it comes in at around £40 for the year.

Also I found the Cons of mobile Hairdressing are that if you take holidays, there is no pay. You may also have quiet days and when you start advertising with companies that offer free basic adds they harass you into paid advertising.

The pros also include you picking and choosing your clients, if you get a nasty or rude one then you can refuse them next time where as in a salon you cant alway choose unless they are soo rude that they are banned.

I am also finding more and more clients come to me now for colours because the salon is too expensive so the money is getting good.

Hi Delia, thanx for suggesting salon gold I have just purchased my insurance from them, they are very reasonable!! And Im glad to hear you are getting busy with colours, as that was something I thought I would not get much of!! xx

Well if you can undercut the salons I am sure you will do, I seem to get a lot of students for colours. Good luck and im glad you chose salon gold.

If you're already doing mobile you're half way there, there is no reason for you not to go it alone as there is no difference apart from you will need to find the clients. Once you have a few clients and they recommend you to their friends, you will find your business will grow rapidly if you are good at what you do . Don't cut your prices too much though or you will be no better off and will find it hard to raise them again. Also low prices can put people off. Get a professional website and price list cards made up, do not scrimp on these as these are all a potential client will have to refer to as a measure of the quality of your service. If they look professional and you have a professional attitude then you cannot fail, if you work hard. Good luck :hug:

i have been mobile for 10 years and i love it, if you don't have work on you can be at home or do the shopping or go back to collage as i have to learn another new skill, you don't have to answer to any one but your self and possibly your family :) i could not now go and work in one place all day long and not see the out side world. you also get a different clientèle the older ladies who cant get out, new mothers with baby's again find it hard to get out, bridal is a big home one now as i have found as they don't want to be rushing to and from hair dressers or beauty salons on there wedding day, yes some times i have a 5am start with some weddings and a late night with clients who don't finish work till late but i love what i do. so all the best for going it alone hope it works out well for you and you enjoy it like i do.:eek::):lol::hug:

Ive been working for myself as a freelance hairdresser for the past seven years.Theres only a couple of things against it really ie:unpaid holidays,if you dont work you dont get paid.I must say I enjoy the freedom,its nice too do things at your own pace with noone looking over your shoulder,urging you to hurry up,your next clients in etc!You can join the F.H.B.F. for 50 pounds a year,that entitles you to go on training courses at a reduced price,a must for a freelance,as you havent got the inhouse perks of keeping up with the latest trends as in a salon.Hopr this helps,and good luck in your new venture.:green:

thankyou all for your helpful advice, I have left the salon now, unfortunatley on bad terms, but I now feel a great sense of freedom and am looking forward to being my own boss!!:)

thankyou all for your helpful advice, I have left the salon now, unfortunatley on bad terms, but I now feel a great sense of freedom and am looking forward to being my own boss!!:)

Never mind ,
but dont let it bother you :hug: x chin up and good luck for the future

hi there firstly if youre gonna cease employment with the salon then the boss should not expect you to do the mobile clients.what if you had found a full time job somewhere else? you couldnt do them then so you have no reason what so ever to carry on doing any work at all for her. anyway ive been doing mobile hairdressing/extensions for 6 years now and i love it!! ive made lots of new friends of my clients and its great visiting people in their own home,they make you feel really welcome and you can get to know them a lot better.i have quite a few clients that i always book an extra hour out for so we can and have a good gossip,cuppa ,ciggie and bite to eat!! i enjoy driving and while on the road i even get to listen to my own taste in music every day, i can work what hours i want and what days i want. im able to chose what sort of work i want to do and in the summer,i even do peoples hair in their gardens and get chance to be out in the sunshine,not cooped up in a salon!if youre a friendly chatty person with a good amount of confidence id say go for it,i have never looked back since leaving salon work, i earn loads more money than i did in salons and if youre good at your job then you will make a lot of money,its not too expensive to get all the equipment and stock youll need to start up with,insurance isnt expensive and theres loads of free sites on the internet where you can advertise. yellow pages adverts are reasonably priced and i do get a lot of trade from there as well as the free websites and word of mouth recommendations. GO FOR IT!!!!

Latest posts

Back