What are your nail tech pet peeves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People that gesture heavily with one hand whilst trying to paint the other ......er if you are moving your hand your whole body MOVES!!!!!......KEEP STILLLLLLLLL GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

I had a client grab a tissue from her lap and blow her nose just after I applied 2nd shellac colour coat [emoji33] "oh no" said she "I never thought!!" Aaaargh!!

Agree, that is also very annoying. My clients tend to run their fingers over the prepped nail! So annoying haha

Oh god this happens to me loads! In my head I'm like 'nooooooo!!!!!' Lol

Ive just a lady not turn up, ignore my calls and then message me a few hours later to say, she didnt realise it was a house she was coming to before. So she clearly didnt like it when she arrived and drove off. I always state to people thats in a little salon within my home. We have a little sign outside, the gardens are always neat and the house looks like a showhome, as I know first impressions mean everything.

Ive just a lady not turn up, ignore my calls and then message me a few hours later to say, she didnt realise it was a house she was coming to before. So she clearly didnt like it when she arrived and drove off. I always state to people thats in a little salon within my home. We have a little sign outside, the gardens are always neat and the house looks like a showhome, as I know first impressions mean everything.
I seriously wouldn't take this personally. :). I reckon she's had a bad experience at a home salon maybe. A bit unfair, but I doubt it's a reflection on your house x

I have one client who does everything that I hate in a client... Touches her prepped nails (even after me asking her not to), strokes her dogs mid-service (ew), constantly moves her hands around especially whilst I'm working near the cuticle, and likes to tell me how to do my job. Argh!!!
Oh no ...my worst nightmare I have one like this too

When they inspect each nail after you've finished filing it, then blended the tip, then applying the acrylic! Then painting it! After. Each. Nail. [emoji35]
Oh my god I had this today! I felt like throwing the file at her and saying do you want to do it yourself?
Wait til the bloody end to inspect please I don't have time for this sh*t lol

When they ask whether you're doing more than one coat of gel polish sounding worried as it looks thin/sheer...then when you explain the thin layers they claim to know that the layers need to be thin. Well if you know then why ask!

Oh my god I had this today! I felt like throwing the file at her and saying do you want to do it yourself?
Wait til the bloody end to inspect please I don't have time for this sh*t lol
Haha!! I just feel like screaming 'what do you want from me?!' At them x

I had a client like this ,done my head in!!! ..you feel like throwing the file etc at them and saying.... here are you can do a better job do it yourself !!! Thank fully shes gone now ...she decided to give her nails a break !!!...I didnt argue with her that she didnt need too I just said pheww thank god shes gone :)))!!!
Or when you have just
When clients sample colors from my racks and do not retighten the lid properly. I've lost many new polishes this way.
Tell me about it!! So annoying!! What about when they ask you to try a selection of colours on their nails and time is not on your side!!!

I have a client that thinks I should worship the ground she walks on ans that I should put her nail appointments on high priority above others. Like who do you think you are?! I don't like working saturdays. It's the only solid day I can have with both my husband and kids. But I do her nails every other saturday because that's the only day that works for her. So I recently dropped saturdays and let her know that we would need to move her appointments to another day. She proceeds to send me a lengthy message about how complex her schedule is and I get it she has 5 boys that go to 3 different schools because one is special needs. But then she asks if I can do her nails after hours. Like no I still have a family and a life I would like to see them some time during the day. So I told her that would not work. Then she asks me basically the same question but with this at the beginning "it really isn't fair that you moved my appointment without talking to me first". I personally feel like it isn't fair that I work overtime just to do your nails with my cheapest option and you don't tip me or even show any appreciation. After I told her i still was not willing to work later than my current schedule she said she could come but she would have to come in the mornings (I don't work mornings, no one to babysit my 2 year old and 4 month old) and she will bring "electronic babysitters" to watch her kids. Like ya ok I will leave my 2 year old and 4 month old with your 5 boys under nine while they play video games? Like they're going to quietly behave for the entire hour and a half it'll take me to do your set and absolutely nothing will happen to my kids. She knows why I don't do mornings ans that no one will be home. One of her kids is autistic and the other 4 all have sensory processing disorder, all diagnosed by her because her psych won't diagnose them. Or her autistic child. She says that he doesn't test on the spectrum but she thinks the psychologist doesn't want to do the work. But aside from that when I tell her I am not comfortable leaving kids upstairs unsupervised. She then asks me if it would be easier if I came to her house??? Like ya. It would be so easy to pack up my lamp, dehydrator, acetone, wipes, primer, all 49 of my gel col

Ors, the hundreds of glitters I own, my brushes, cleaner and tools. I would have to bring everything because she decided right then what she wants and changes her mind several times throughout. Ugh she stresses me out

When u buy 10 new gel colours and they r happy for one appointment and then ask u next time they r in "is there no new colours?"

Or when they assume u don't earn much because you just paint nails lol nod and agree.

I'm mobile, so kids and dogs are a normal occurrence. I don't mind either, but yesterday I did a manicure with a 1yr old on my lap. My client (baby's mum) thought it was super cute and really funny. But then mentioned that it had taken a lot longer than usual.... Funny that.

I have a client that thinks I should worship the ground she walks on ans that I should put her nail appointments on high priority above others. Like who do you think you are?! I don't like working saturdays. It's the only solid day I can have with both my husband and kids. But I do her nails every other saturday because that's the only day that works for her. So I recently dropped saturdays and let her know that we would need to move her appointments to another day. She proceeds to send me a lengthy message about how complex her schedule is and I get it she has 5 boys that go to 3 different schools because one is special needs. But then she asks if I can do her nails after hours. Like no I still have a family and a life I would like to see them some time during the day. So I told her that would not work. Then she asks me basically the same question but with this at the beginning "it really isn't fair that you moved my appointment without talking to me first". I personally feel like it isn't fair that I work overtime just to do your nails with my cheapest option and you don't tip me or even show any appreciation. After I told her i still was not willing to work later than my current schedule she said she could come but she would have to come in the mornings (I don't work mornings, no one to babysit my 2 year old and 4 month old) and she will bring "electronic babysitters" to watch her kids. Like ya ok I will leave my 2 year old and 4 month old with your 5 boys under nine while they play video games? Like they're going to quietly behave for the entire hour and a half it'll take me to do your set and absolutely nothing will happen to my kids. She knows why I don't do mornings ans that no one will be home. One of her kids is autistic and the other 4 all have sensory processing disorder, all diagnosed by her because her psych won't diagnose them. Or her autistic child. She says that he doesn't test on the spectrum but she thinks the psychologist doesn't want to do the work. But aside from that when I tell her I am not comfortable leaving kids upstairs unsupervised. She then asks me if it would be easier if I came to her house??? Like ya. It would be so easy to pack up my lamp, dehydrator, acetone, wipes, primer, all 49 of my gel col

get rid of her... tell her unfortunately if she cant fit in with your hours of business then she will have to find another tech.
sometimes its just not worth the money to deal with unreasonable people like her

Whoa Flic I could have just written that post myself, I literally just logged on here to have a mini whinge about the exact same thing happening (am sat here like a lemon knowing full well they're not going to show, but all ready to rock 'just in case' :p ). If only they'd just have the courtesy to text and let you know either way eh? Instead of just ignoring your reminders! Grrr! x

I have an app which I use to book my appointments and I can edit my reminders to say exactly what I want... this is what mine says:

Hi X, this is a reminder for your appointment at Bel's Gels tomorrow, Monday 17th January at 10am. Please reply YES via sms to confirm your appointment. If I do not receive your sms then I will assume you are unable to attend and your appointment will be cancelled. You will then need to contact me to re-book. Thanks for your co-operation ~ Bel

The reminder goes out 24 hours before their appointment and It works EVERY time! They always send YES to me - I've not had a no show yet.
I also hate it when clients have a fag straight before their appointment and their hands stink of cigarettes. I also used to have a lady that caked on her foundation and obviously didnt wash her hands after. When i did her cuticles i was always scraping foundation off her nails and it would be all stick around the cuticle.

I have one of those... uses Revlon Colour Stay foundation, that stuff is like CLAY!
Now I use a cuticle remover lotion on her and scrub it with a brush.
First time I did it she asked what I was doing... I said getting your foundation off your nails!
Some people just have NO idea!

I have an app which I use to book my appointments and I can edit my reminders to say exactly what I want... this is what mine says:

Hi X, this is a reminder for your appointment at Bel's Gels tomorrow, Monday 17th January at 10am. Please reply YES via sms to confirm your appointment. If I do not receive your sms then I will assume you are unable to attend and your appointment will be cancelled. You will then need to contact me to re-book. Thanks for your co-operation ~ Bel

The reminder goes out 24 hours before their appointment and It works EVERY time! They always send YES to me - I've not had a no show yet.

Oooh I love an app, which one do you use? That's a good idea!

Believe it or not I had sent out reminders to her (albeit manually, not via an app) the day before, on the morning AND an hour before her appointment, all asking her to confirm she was attending. ALL ignored. Tsk!

Funniest thing though - she contacted me about a week before Christmas (no mention of her 2 no-shows previously) asking for an appointment before Christmas!!!!! I nearly fell off my chair laughing. I was fully booked already so couldn't accommodate her, although if I hadn't been I think I would have been asking her for some kind of deposit to secure the appt this time...

Oooh I love an app, which one do you use? That's a good idea!

Believe it or not I had sent out reminders to her (albeit manually, not via an app) the day before, on the morning AND an hour before her appointment, all asking her to confirm she was attending. ALL ignored. Tsk!

Funniest thing though - she contacted me about a week before Christmas (no mention of her 2 no-shows previously) asking for an appointment before Christmas!!!!! I nearly fell off my chair laughing. I was fully booked already so couldn't accommodate her, although if I hadn't been I think I would have been asking her for some kind of deposit to secure the appt this time...

The app is called Appointment Manager. I have found it really easy to use... at first you obviously need to set it up and put in your contacts and the wording you want to use for your reminders but it doesn't take that long at all. After that its just a matter of entering the appointments as you make them and the app does the rest for you.
Its available for iPhone and Android, I like the Android version better

I think the fact that I say 'your appointment will be cancelled' is what makes people panic, lol.
I am booked in advance and they all know how difficult it can be for me to try and move their appointments so they do the right thing.

When they try to get you to fix their nails for free or get a refund because they just "fell off". Like, I do this for a living, I am well aware that the ring of fire on your nail bed is caused from ripping them off.

Been sat in my nail room for 40 minutes waiting for a 7pm appointment!!!
So annoying as had a cancellation list waiting for an appointment!!

Do many of you who are home based take deposits for appointments? Thinking I'm going to have to start! Nightmare!!! :mad:

Latest posts

Back