What do you think of working with different company products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitzachicks

Reaction score
Hie All

Well I have been looking at different products, getting some samples and trying some out. Now whats happened is I like one product for a certain reason and the other for another. For example I like one company's Natural nailcare range and the enhancements range of another company.

My question is would it be unprofessional to work with two or more product ranges from different companies. I do not mean to mix products from different companies. For instance say I offered clients enhancements from Ezflow and natural nailcare from CND. Assuming I'm fully trained to use both products, would that be unprofessional? I find it hard to choose sometimes.

Thanks

Many of the top professionals do use products from different manufacturers. Why on earth would you think that one manufacturer is so great and perfect to have the best product in every area?

Use your knowledge and experience to choose what you prefer. Make the decisions yourself and don't believe the marketing.

Thanks, I think the marketing had got to me. :)

Let me tell a simple story. Some years ago my oldest son got interested in tennis and declared he wanted a £100 carbon fiber racket for his birthday present.

Now I of course love my kids, and in general will spoil them if I can, but I also want them to understand the value of money and think about what they buy. So I told him that 40 years ago, people were winning Wimbledon with wooden rackets - so perhaps he could choose a cheaper racket and use that to develop his skills until he could tell the difference between an aluminum racket and one that was carbon fiber? I also suggested that if he saved money on the racket he would have money for other presents and get double the fun for his money. He agreed.

10 years ago people were producing competition winning nails with the materials of the time. There is no doubt that nail products have improved in time, but the most important aspect is to develop your skills with whatever product and not see the product as making your nails instantly wonderful. There is no short-cut to developing skills or achieving greatness. When your skills are top notch you will be able to see the difference between various products - but until then, it's not the main priority.

Depending on what I'm doing depends on what product range I work with and I'm always trying new stuff out, most of the time I find I don't like the new, over my tried and tested but occasionally I find a gem and add it to my range. When a new client comes to you how can you give them what they really want if you don't know what's out there?:hug:

Mmmm...thanks ladies for the advice.

What you are doing is fine and nothing unprofessional about it.

I do think however when you trust a brand and the science behind it and the commitment to research and development and when you have a relationship with your distributor, where there is a commitment to help you to grow your business .. it makes it easier to stick with a range that is excellent in EVERY area (an yes companies like that do exist as we all know).

I thought, when I was in school, that I would only have one product line in my business. Well, that changed pretty quickly. First of all, I had to consider the cost. And after trial and error had to figure what worked for me and what didn't. I don't feel it is unprofessional to use products that give my client's the best nail care I can for a fair/reasonable price and I don't feel any obligation to stick with one product line. If I'm using one product line and another one comes out that is just as good or better and possibly the cost is less, I will try them. Plus there is no incentive to stay with one company. Which comes to mind about how it is expected of us to give incentives to our clients to keep coming to us and yet what do we receive from our vendors to do the same? Nothing! JMO!

P.S. Didn't mean this to sound harsh, it's just a thought and my logic running a muck!

I expect the companies I use to provide me with ongoing support, professionalism, great education, and research into their own product line to update them to give me the buyer/user the best. I call that incentive to use their products!

Last edited:
Yes, I think it is professional.

The only time I think it is problematic is when one switches products, or tries another because they're struggling with the one they started out with. If working with a quality product I would want to overcome the issue rather than moving on and likely encountering another set of problems. Sometimes we think a new product will be the magic answer. I think it helps us develop our skills much more to work the wrinkles out of any problem we're having.

No i dont see it being a problem. We use a few different companies for various services and its because after trying out many (more than i care to remember!) different products, we have found the ones that

A we feel give our clients the very best .
B we love working with.

this approach may not work for everyone though, so i think its down to the individual.

tigi

One small advice, test the new product on friends and very close customers before going 'live' and offering to all. Some years ago we tried a very famous brand only to find that we had lifting problems on the third infill and balancing - despite Iryna taking a conversion course. We discussed with the supplier but got no clear answer so we ditched the product. Fortunately she had only tested this on close friends - otherwise she could have damaged her reputation.

Thank you loads for the advice. I had gone to the Olympia show quite recently and was quite overwhelmed. :)

I think, as long as you're not mixing different companies' liquids, powders, and primers, there's nothing wrong with having a few different lines. I adore CND's new spa mani and pedi lines, for example, and use them well. But I also love Haken's spa items, and THEY have a chocolate pedi line that my clients love in the wintertime. :)

Latest posts

Back