What do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleB

Reaction score
I did these to my own nails and wondered what you thought?

5199a43e-3d97-9038.jpg

5199a43e-3f88-d448.jpg

Are they your own nails with overlay or extensions?

Oops! Should have said - They are acrylic extensions only difference being that I used a clear acrylic powder mixed with glitter over the tip :)

I used the white tips (makes the glitter stand out more than using natural tips in my opinion) then a clear powder mixed with glitter over the tips then just the normal pink powder for the rest of the nails and OPI top coat for shine

I like them chell there lovely

I like them chell there lovely

Thank you xx

Took me ages! Was my first go at doing my own nails, thought I'd have a problem doing my right hand but managed really well!

i think they look great xxx

They would look even better with a custom blend.:hug:
The ratio of the tip to nail bed balance is a little off hun. Too much gold tip and not enough pink iykwim.
I would next time use a cover pink to elongate the nail bed and give the illusion of a sleeker nail, a squoval would have made these nails look longer they look a bit stumpy if you match your free edge shape to your natural cuticle line it helps with the illusion and balance.
The lines of light are a little off in a couple of them too, use the highlight down the nail for finishing and you wont go wrong.
Sorry if you think my reply is a but harsh but I wanted to give an honest critique/opinion for you to help you improve next time you do them.:hug:
If you havent got it already I would highly recomend Gigi's Nailclass book, an invaluable tool for any nail technician, with handy hints and tips on how to produce perfcet balanced looking nails.
Also I noticed that you havent filled out your profile what systems you use who you trained with, If you do this it will help us understand what training and systems you are using to give you more informed answers and guidance.
Jen xxxx

i agree with Jen :hug: I would lessen the amount of gold on the free edge and extend the nail bed with a custom blend. Also, I would use a clear tip so that the gold can be seen from the underside too :

I wouldn't say you were harsh Busybee32 (I ain't that brave lol :Scared: )....just a bit advanced for a complete newbie to the Industry.

If I read your other posts right ChelleB then you only did your acrylic (L&P) training course a few weeks ago, so I think telling you to custom blend and extend nailbeds is a bit over ambitious at this stage. ;)

These look good nails, yes they are out of balance but the main thing at your stage is to get them all the same length and the same shape, which you have done. :)
The other most important thing is to make sure the product has not gone over onto the cuticle or sidewalls and is sealed onto the nail, and product in the zone 3 (cuticle area) is flush to the nail with no big ridge.

It is hard to tell if this is the case in these photographs, but they look OK to me.

I am not sure if you meant for us to critique your nails as this has been posted in the main Nail Geek forum and not in Critiques so I won't go on ...and on lol :rolleyes:

All I will say is keep up the good work and once you gain in experience and confidence then look into doing more advanced work like extended nailbeds and reverse application and you will be amazed at the possibilies you can achieve in a set of nails...and so will your clients.

Meantime just keep doing as many sets as you can and improving your basic skills, getting your timings down and getting your enhancements to remain perfect for the 2-3 weeks between clients appointments ...walk before you run.

Good Luck :hug:

I think there's some great advise above, also your smiles are a little average and from what I can see your z3 looks a little messy and like it's touched the skin which will cause lifting.

Just keep practising with the correct technique hun and you will get there xxx

just a quick reply for now as need to nip out and haven't read all replies properly but i've only been doing it since 23rd jan so still deffo need practicing but thought it wasn't bad for my very first attempt on my own nails

i am away to post a problem i've got with a friends nails i've done! argh! :(

xxx

messy :cry: ok my problem with z3 is that if i don't use enough acrylic it seems to come off when i file the nail done once finished to smooth them? like it looks as if there's been an air bubble and it'll come away? so i've been making them a bit thicker? is there another way to perfect it?

but yeah i've only been doing this since 23rd jan so still a long way to go but was just playing about with my own nails! i agree they look stumpy but i think i'm a bit wary of the well on the tip? doesn't the well need to "click" into place so then its kinda the tip that determines how much pink nail you see? am i maybe filing down the natural nail too much? or what if the client has a very short nail bed?

i have no idea about custom blend or what l+p is? :eek:

:cry:

xxx

Last edited:
I think your doing really well considering you've only been doing nails since the end of Jan. Well done you. You should have seen my first few sets of nails when I started out. Lol. L&p stands for liquid and powder. You will get loads of good information on here, it's fab for that. Just keep practicing and you will get there in the end. Custom colour means maching the nail bed colour etc to the clients skin tone, but you need to practice your application tecquniqui before you go onto that stage:)

ooh didn't know you could do that, that's good as i am, not overly keen on how pink the powder is! thank you :) xxx

messy :cry: ok my problem with z3 is that if i don't use enough acrylic it seems to come off when i file the nail done once finished to smooth them? like it looks as if there's been an air bubble and it'll come away? so i've been making them a bit thicker? is there another way to perfect it?

This could be that you are working to wet on this area. What I mean is that you are picking up a small bead for this area but are still having the same amount of liquid in your brush you had for picking up your larger zone 2 bead.
Would I be right?
So make sure you wipe most of the liquid out of your brush on the side of your dappen dish then pick up a small bead for zone 3....the powder should be absorbed by the liquid in 3 seconds so you should see the last of the powder disappear into a frosted glass bead in this time.
Then place this bead on the edge of your last applied product, not right at the cuticle, wait a couple of seconds for the bead to settle and then press it out towards the cuticle area and smooth back.

If it is too wet a bead the liquid can evaporate leaving a frosted appearance on the nail which will just buff away when filed as you have described, it can also cause the product to shrink back excessively so you can look and think Where did my zone 3 go?? :eek:

but yeah i've only been doing this since 23rd jan so still a long way to go but was just playing about with my own nails! i agree they look stumpy but i think i'm a bit wary of the well on the tip? doesn't the well need to "click" into place so then its kinda the tip that determines how much pink nail you see? am i maybe filing down the natural nail too much? or what if the client has a very short nail bed?

Absolutely right, the contact area of the tip covers a couple of millimetres of the nail which is why they are not the best thing to use for a short nail bed. They are great on clients with lovely long nail beds though.

There are 2 things you can do to help this , either use curvd scissors and cut out your own smile line out of the tips contact area, or invest in well less tips. Pro Impressions advanced well less tips are what I use and they are great quality at a very good price ;)

i have no idea about custom blend or what l+p is? :eek:

As I mentioned in my last post there is no reason why you should, these are advanced techniques. I am sure once you have mastered the basics you will go on to learn them, but meantime you should just keep going the way you are, and share any high points and low points with us !!

:cry:

xxx

I hope this information helps.

Don't be disheartened as getting the mix ratio right between your liquid and powder is one of the hardest things to get right when you are starting out.
We have all been there :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say you were harsh Busybee32 (I ain't that brave lol :Scared: )....just a bit advanced for a complete newbie to the Industry.
I did have a look at her profile hun and it didnt have any info on only that she joined in 2007, I have now since discovered that she is a newbie at the time that I wrote my reply I didn't know this so I completly understand why she wouldnt have understood what I meant ..... My bad:hug:
If I read your other posts right ChelleB then you only did your acrylic (L&P) training course a few weeks ago, so I think telling you to custom blend and extend nailbeds is a bit over ambitious at this stage. ;)

These look good nails, yes they are out of balance but the main thing at your stage is to get them all the same length and the same shape, which you have done. :)
The other most important thing is to make sure the product has not gone over onto the cuticle or sidewalls and is sealed onto the nail, and product in the zone 3 (cuticle area) is flush to the nail with no big ridge.

It is hard to tell if this is the case in these photographs, but they look OK to me.

I am not sure if you meant for us to critique your nails as this has been posted in the main Nail Geek forum and not in Critiques so I won't go on ...and on lol :rolleyes:

All I will say is keep up the good work and once you gain in experience and confidence then look into doing more advanced work like extended nailbeds and reverse application and you will be amazed at the possibilies you can achieve in a set of nails...and so will your clients.

Meantime just keep doing as many sets as you can and improving your basic skills, getting your timings down and getting your enhancements to remain perfect for the 2-3 weeks between clients appointments ...walk before you run.

Good Luck :hug:
As Izzidoll pointed out I didnt realise that you were a real newbie so please forgive my reply.
If these are the nails that you are producing now after a couple of weeks then I for one look forward to seeing them say a few months from now, you will only improve and get better.
Izzidoll has given some excellent advise in her replys good luck and keep improving.
:hug:

I think they are really pretty and very, very good considering your experience. As Izzy said you are very new and I think these nails are lovely. I can remember my first sets :eek:

All the rest of the stuff will come in time and with your excitement and enthusiasm you will learn really quickly indeed!! :green:

Izzi thank you SO much I hugely appreciate that and yes I deffo use too much monomer! I am doing my friends nails tomorrow so will take into consideration everything you've said

Thanks everyone else for your replies too, I look forward to getting better in time :)

xxx

Busybee - don't worry! :) xx

These are good, think you will be a fab nail tech, you have had some tips for the future from the geeks above which I'm sure will help you build up the skills you already have. I like the glitter! Well done xx

Latest posts

Back