What jobs can a 14 year old do to earn money?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
My 14.5 year old has champagne taste and lemonade money :lol:

She needs a bit of extra money to spend, but seems to think she is too young to be employed yet.

Have any of you got 14 yr olds who are working and if so what sort of job are they doing? I've only approached the local supermarkets who say min age is 16.

Any ideas? (She does a bit of babysitting for the neighbours but I was meaning something a bit more regular really)

Thanks x

My son is nearly 16 and he cannot find a job anywhere as they all say he needs to be 16, other than a paper round, babysitting, washing neighbours cars etc not sure what else they can do!

My step daughter managed to get a job in the local chippy when she was only 15 though but her mother knew the manager, as far as im aware they need to be 16 but I could be wrong x

Babysitting, raking leaves, shovelling snow, cutting grass, doing chores for the elderly. HTH! :)

Our papergirl looked about 12, early start though!

Local businesses, restaurants and take-aways often pay people to deliver flyers for them.

Also, if you receive free newspapers through your letterbox on a weekly basis, these need delivering too.

Hope that helps.

H there,
I’m not up to date with current recruitment laws but from what I can remember employers can higher from as young as 14. But they are very limited to legal amount of hours they can work. And require more break times. Which doesn’t benefit the employer so most companies say 16 to save on the hassle
Have you thought about trying the local hair dressers as a Saturday junior maybe

They can work at 14, my 15yr has just got a job, but the rules are quite tight which is why I think a lot of employers don't bother until they are 16. Things like only 2hours on a Sunday etc

I'm not sure on the rules also but why don't you try independent businesses such as farm shops? Only saying that as my parents own one and never have enough Saturday staff! I know a few years back they took on someone who was nearly 15 (and he ended up staying until he was 20!). I worked in a local independent convenience store when I was 14 too. But saying that I'm now nearly 27! :) it may be worth a try anyway! Hth x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

My local beauticians and tanning salons have young girls work for them 14+ they just wipe down the beds. Sweep floor etc but they all seem to love it. I worked in tanning salon from 14 i just made tea and chatted to all the girls who worked there who were all so glam and i loved it! A girl did nails there she rented the bar and i started getting my nails done by her and did for 6 yrs before learning myself so i really cant knock it. It was a few hours during the week and a saturday :)

Get her up a chimney!

What about in a restaurant? Waitressing or washing up?

I worked in a salon from 14. 8.30-4.30 every Saturday, 4-8 on a Thursday and training nights on Wednesday 4-8. I loved it. Got paid peanuts but had no concern for that.

I know my local golf club employs from 14.

when i was 14 i worked for 2 hours in a hotel down my road doing nearly every job going, cleaning, making deserts, changing bedding, washing up... so on, the pay was rubbish and i hated it so i didnt stay (haha) then i got a job when i was 15 in my local garden centre cafe, oo the uniform was a beaut! x

Hi, Im 33 now:Scared:, but when i was 14 i worked as a saturday girl in a hairdressing salon and in a kennels on a sunday. There are specific hours you can work. Its possible!:wink2:

All joking aside there are some restrictions on children working whcih you can read about here.
In Kimi's example the employer would be breaking the law because she should have worked no more than 5 hours on a Saturday, until she was 15.
Yeah, I know I'm boring and precise, but I don't make the rules! I just don't condone breaking them either!

Going back to when I was 14 (1994) I worked in a vets, 2 hours on a tuesday, 2 hours on a thursday and 9 - 1 on a saturday. I loved it, wiping down the table after each pet, counting tablets out, inputting info into computer to print off medication labels. Of course there were upset people I had to see but didnt really deal with them, as that was down to the vet, but all in all was really good. I also had friends that worked in restaurants and hotels.

Been thinking about this post over the last couple of days... What about local salons wanting a Saturday girl - doing tea/coffee, sweeping, tidying,get the lunches in? If she's approachable and keen she would be a godsend to many a salon?

Does she like horses?
Me and a friend volunteered to work there at the weekends.
It only involved mucking out and feeds and sorting out the tack room but i loved it.

A few young girls there were getting paid for it but we weren't there regularly enough to make it worth it.

Loved it

I worked from age 13 in a bakery... Doing tills, packaging etc. Loved it and was well paid!!x

Latest posts

Back