what kind of dog would you buy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has to be a dogue de Bordeaux (otherwise known as a French Mastif) as you can see.
Look at my pictures on my profile of Axl .

Soppy as anything, very loyal and very, very protective. Don't need much excersise at all, they are mostly happy to sleep all day but they do have their mad moments!
They do grow very large, they come under GIANT BREED. Axl is about 9 stone now. Love him to bits, he is snoring (loudly) right now! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

(I cant post the pic) can anyone tell me? thers no 'other options' button at the bottom like it tells you in how to do stuff.

I love my 3 Boxers. When we wanted a dog we were going for cocker spaniel but ended up with a boxer. (dont ask) ...then 4 years later we mated her and kept 2 pups.

However, now, I wouldnt change them for the world.

Pickle said:
Axl is about 9 stone now. !

OMG!! He looks lovely by the way!! :)

Taxi said:
Hello,

as you can see on my pic i have a westie myself he is now about 18 months old and is a total nutter!! I chose a westie because i thought they looked like quiet well behaved little dogs - they're not! I love him to pieces he's a real character but he is soooooooooo naughty and barks alot apparently this is very common for the bread.

Good luck and happy choosing :green:

Jo xx
Aahhh he is so cute!!

xxx

We have two Cairn terriers (Missy and Flo), and as much as i love them, they can still be a pain.

Missy is intent on trying to dig her way out of the garden and will try and escape at the drop of a hat - daren't let her off her lead!

Flo is the opposite, constantly at your side - her down fall is that she likes to eat dog poo :eek: - espcecially her own!!!

On the plus side for both of them, you can have them on your knee at night and not loose the feeling in your feet, they are great with children and they don't need to much walking.

I think though if i had to choose again, i'd have a Border collie, those dogs are magnificent - v.clever, but then they do need loads of walking.

Guess you can't have it all eh!!

a staff (pic in my gallery)

For a small dog I dont think you can go far wrong with a Llahsa Apso! We have one who is 6 and she has a wonderful temperament, never once heard her grumble, even when the kids were small.

Pros:
Small
Dont need much exersice
Dont eat much
Good watchdogs

Cons:
need clipping every 8 weeks or so

We are getting an Alaskan Malamute Puppy in the autumn, thank Techygeek for that! he put up an adorable picture of his puppy and I fell in love with it. Told hubby thinking he'd say 'no more dogs' but he's keener than I am! they get huge though and are not an easy dog, strong personalities...

here's a pic of L.C. my Llahsa....

Attachments

• DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 23
i would choose one with no hair to shed, no teeth to bite with and my final requirement would be that it picks up its own doo-doo.:lol:

I've got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he is almost 2 and still like a pup! He is so adorable though and very lively! His pic is in my gallery when we first got him.

i have a staff called coz he is the best dog ever so loyal and very very loving hes never chewed anything!! think i got away lightly tho..lol hes is just like my children...right about wat someone said tho they do need loads of walks...but that good for us aswell..:green:

What about a lasoapso(i think think thats what they are called). They are so cute and small. My friend has just bought one of these and its gorge!! Really friendly and cuddly, but hard work i think.

Labrador retriever

STAFFIES >>>> they are great with kids and soooo cute x

a bordeaux !!!!!a.k.a Hooch, i had one and will be getting one again soon! best dogs in the whole wide world..
but if you're looking for something small.. uhmm.. a pug :biggrin: they're cute :p

thanks for all this advise, the pictures of the dogs are fantastic, and if I could I would definately go for a big one, but it just is not possible, I know my hubby wont go for a staff I still like the westie, great picture Joanne, and also the king charles spaniel, he was really cute, although the thought of being kept up all night does not appeal, my children do that enough as it is!!

Hi there - I'm well into dogs - had lots of different types all through my life.
Could I just ask - is there a particular reason why your hubby is scared of dogs? I was attacked by a collie dog whilst rollerskating as a kid - so I do know there are things that happen to make people very weary of dogs.
This incident didnt effect me - I've got a 12 year old rottweiler who I've had since 9 weeks old. She was my first baby actually.
All I can say is do your research on the breed you fancy - talk to some breeders - sometimes small dogs can be very wild in my experience!!!!
Hope you do find the right breed for you - I'm sure you'll have a lot of pleasure out of your new family member when you get one.
best of luck
jayneym

... and... make sure you can view at least one of the parents.
I watched 'Dog Borstal' last night and this guy bought a white alsation but couldnt get near the parent dog and bitch. Now he is also very viscious and goes for everyone. (hence being in Dog Borstal)
If you dont want trouble, get a placid breed.
The Lhaso Apso is a great little dog (Billy Mitchels 'Terence') Take into the consideration of what after care it will need, like clipping etc... cos some places can be expensive.
My mum in law has 3 and theyre no hassell at all...... well compared to my 3 boxers they aint!

Goodluck and hope you find a sweet companion.
xx

It would have to be a Cavalier King Charles for me. We had one for 13 years. He had the most lovely temperment. Fab with kids too. He loved to go out for a walk, unless it was raining, didn't like getting wet!!!!:lol:

I have 3 Springers...2 from show stock and 1 worker (look like different breeds). Springers are very lively, but are also very loyal and have fantastic temperaments, ideal for homes with children.

Just a word of warning....when people tell you they'll calm down as they get older......they're lying, they don't:eek:

naughty nails said:
Hi
we jus got a springer that is now 9weeks. Its such a pickle and I must say I'm finding it very hard as they have bounds of energy. I can't take him out until 12 weeks. You need to look into it and your life style. Otherwise like me you will be up with it throughout the night and tearing your hair out.
Good luck in finding what suits you.:lol:

Latest posts

Back